PDA

View Full Version : 3m foam polishing pads

Pages : [1] 2

Bradmerritt
08-17-2012, 09:05 PM
Just got 2 black polishing pads, I use one for my heavy compound and one for my 3m finesse it polish using the light pad with compound prevents a lot of hollograms from your finished product I've left no holograms with this combo as well as my other products great pads overall a bit pricey but worth the money! Hope some of you get the chance to try em

Brads auto detail

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-17-2012, 10:08 PM
I use the 3M line of polishes and pads at work and I am pleased with the results they give. Now only if they would make them in a smaller size.

Bradmerritt
08-17-2012, 11:27 PM
The pads or the polishes? The pads I got were on the larger side but I was happy With their performance.

I like the finnesse it polish. Other then that I dint get into 3M mostly pricey and I have other products that work just as well

Brads auto detail

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-18-2012, 08:03 AM
I use the full perfect-it line at work. Yes the 9 inch pads are really too big but for doing large vehicles they are ok. My shop supplies the perfect-it line so that is what we use.

Bradmerritt
08-18-2012, 01:02 PM
Oh I see haha. I love the pads and polish. I run a shop all by myself for used vehicles and customer detailing

I'm very into paint correction and have better talent then some guys been doing it for 20+ years I've been told my work I the best they've ever seen. I thank all the products! I use presta, 3m and Meguiars mainly. I just figured out overtime how all of them work together and my finishing product has been great. Where do you work a dealer?

Brads auto detail

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-18-2012, 09:59 PM
I am active duty Air Force and work in our body shop painting and repairing vehicles. We have quite a few vehicles to maintain and keep going. When we use the rotory it is to cut and buff a paint job that had a run or sag in it.

My detailing on the side goes hand in hand with what I do at work. As a detailer on the side I know everything above the clear coat. As a painter I know everything below the clear.

RoadRageDetail
08-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Do an IPA wipe down after a run through with 3M products. I detailed countless cars with the Perfect-It series and thought I was hot sh*t on a silver platter, until I started doing alcohol wipe downs before LSP or opti-coat applications.

I was very disappointed with how much those products rely on concealers vs. producing honest results. Especially since I was shelling out $100 per gallon of each step. Megs 105/205 combo is far better, and tons cheaper by eliminating a third step and costing about half per bottle in comparison. For all final finishing that 205 won't tackle I turn to Menz P085rd and rarely have to use it.

Sorry to butt in fellas.

tuscarora dave
08-18-2012, 11:37 PM
I get a really soft black 5 1/2" 3M pad that comes with a backing plate for a drill. I pay $2.99 for this little kit at a local surplus store. I toss the backing plates in the trash and use the pads for finishing work. They are really nice pads to finish hologram free with DA polishers. Can't beat the price either. Only time I use a 3M polish is when I want a heavy filler for a really quick production detail.

jackychai
08-19-2012, 01:41 AM
Do an IPA wipe down after a run through with 3M products. I detailed countless cars with the Perfect-It series and thought I was hot sh*t on a silver platter, until I started doing alcohol wipe downs before LSP or opti-coat applications.

I was very disappointed with how much those products rely on concealers vs. producing honest results. Especially since I was shelling out $100 per gallon of each step. Megs 105/205 combo is far better, and tons cheaper by eliminating a third step and costing about half per bottle in comparison. For all final finishing that 205 won't tackle I turn to Menz P085rd and rarely have to use it.

Sorry to butt in fellas.

is that really true that it does contain fillers?
the AG store says that they don't contain fillers as well some other websites.
but a few of other places say that they do contain fillers... so what is the truth?

I need to know this before possibly deceiving any other clients...

RoadRageDetail
08-19-2012, 02:53 AM
is that really true that it does contain fillers?
the AG store says that they don't contain fillers as well some other websites.
but a few of other places say that they do contain fillers... so what is the truth?

I need to know this before possibly deceiving any other clients...

The rubbing compound is a very good product. I think its one of the best for use after wetsanding or medium scratch removal or paint leveling. The machine polish and ultrafine are some of the most concealing products I've ever used (aside from silicone-based gloss enhancers) and it pains me to say that. If you're looking for products with little to no fillers then I would move away from 3M.

jackychai
08-19-2012, 03:46 AM
The rubbing compound is a very good product. I think its one of the best for use after wetsanding or medium scratch removal or paint leveling. The machine polish and ultrafine are some of the most concealing products I've ever used (aside from silicone-based gloss enhancers) and it pains me to say that. If you're looking for products with little to no fillers then I would move away from 3M.

I think i will agree with you because when I am doing the polish there is some working pattern that conform with what you say.

damm it I am feeling stupid right now...

and I just got another bottle of ultrafina not too long ago, and my more than 1/2 a gallon of machine polish left since long time ago...

Bradmerritt
08-19-2012, 10:15 AM

Sorry to butt in fellas.

What is a lsp wipe ? Sorry I dot know. Haha

Brads auto detail

Bradmerritt
08-19-2012, 10:23 AM
Guys check into presta products.
I have tried countless products with paint correction jobs an have not been able to get the results with anything.

But when my local body shop supplier gave me a few bottles of the presta stuff I was really in shock. The cutting ability with the compounds is unreal the swirl remover and polish leave the finish flawless.
If you were to do a paint correction job I would do the following.
*Clay Barr all paint surfaces
*Wetsand out imperfections too deep for cutting creme.
*Machine buff with ultra cutting creme light.
* Presta swirl remover work in both directions untill swirls are gone.
*Presta Ultra polish untill you get the wet look you need.
* Machine glaze with there "Hand Glaze" can be applied by machine safely.
* Protect your work with Collonite 915. Marque de elegance.

You won't be disappointed anymore with these products if you use them correctly the paint come out truly perfect!

Brads auto detail

Mike Phillips
08-27-2012, 06:40 AM
What is a lsp wipe ? Sorry I dot know.

Actually it's called an IPA wipe. You can read about it here,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Here's another related thread, read through it, don't just scan it...

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

:)

Bradmerritt
08-28-2012, 05:23 PM
Actually it's called an IPA wipe. You can read about it here,

How to Mix IPA for Inspecting Correction Results (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/31183-how-mix-ipa-inspecting-correction-results.html)

Here's another related thread, read through it, don't just scan it...

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

:)

Thanks mike