PDA

View Full Version : Pad to use with D151?

glen e
08-17-2012, 04:33 AM
Have a friend's boat that was detailed 6 months ago, and has decent gloss. I have a ton of D151 to use up and would like to use the it for this task. So what pad would you use for my Flex 3403?

I’m thinking a This , as I have two new of these:

Meguiar's 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad

Opinions?

Mike Phillips
08-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Have a friend's boat that was detailed 6 months ago, and has decent gloss. I have a ton of D151 to use up and would like to use the it for this task. So what pad would you use for my Flex 3403?

For those that might not know, this is a Flex Rotary Buffer, like this one,

Flex 3403 Lightweight Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-l3403vrg-rotary-polisher.html)
11.5 Amps
1100 to 3700 RPM
5 Pounds
1 Year Limited Warranty

The Flex 3403 Lightweight Rotary Buffer

YouTube - Mike Phillips Showcases the Flex 3403...

I’m thinking a This , as I have two new of these:

Meguiar's 6.5-Inch Soft Buff Foam Polishing Pad

Opinions?

I would go with a foam polishing pad and the yellow pad in the Meguiar's line is their polishing pad. The reason why is because it offers enough bite with a cleaner/wax to remove oxidation and stains and will still finish out nice and shiny on a gel-coat hull.

Any foam polishing pad from LC would be good too...

Also the new Hybrid pads in either 6.5" or 5" from Lake Country.

:)

glen e
08-17-2012, 07:21 AM
I have some LC ccs- white good?

Mike Phillips
08-17-2012, 07:23 AM
I have some LC ccs- white good?

Perfect. Give them a try...

Normally you want to leave a film on the surface to dry and then hand wipe it off...

This is more about having the protection ingredients dry and bond to the paint but also you normally don't buff to a dry buff.

On large white boats though anything goes...

KKYS
08-25-2012, 12:17 AM
On large white boats though anything goes...

That one passed over my head. I hate when
I miss a punch line.

BobbyG
08-25-2012, 06:43 AM
One pad that fails to get the fanfare is Lake Country green foam. This a little more aggressive than the white pad and works beautifully with Meguiar's D151.

Yesterday I worked on a 2008 Nissan Altima in Winter Frost. I used the Green 6 1/2" CCS foam pads on my Flex PE14-2-150 rotary. This is a great combination for removing oxidation, minor swirls and like defects. :props:

KillaCam
08-25-2012, 03:55 PM
So a white ccs pad would work well? Is an orange pad too aggressive? What speed are you guys using for d151 on a pc? I wanna pick up some on my next order.

BobbyG
08-25-2012, 06:53 PM
So a white ccs pad would work well? Is an orange pad too aggressive? What speed are you guys using for d151 on a pc? I wanna pick up some on my next order.

Orange Light Cutting Foam - An Orange pad is considered a light cutting foam It's a firm, high density foam well suited for scratch and defect removal. Use this pad with polishes and swirl removers. It’s an all-around pad that will work on most light to moderate imperfections.

Green Polishing/Finishing Foam - Use this foam to apply one-step cleaner waxes. It is a balance of polishing and finishing that is perfect for all-in-one product application.

White Polishing Foam - Less dense foam formula for the application of waxes, micro-fine polishes and sealants. This pad has very light cutting power so it’s perfect for pre-wax cleaners.

Yes, Meguiar's D151 works well with the three pads above. When used with my dual action polisher I set the dial to 5 and go to work.....Don't forget to prime your pad! :props:

On my rotary I use about 1500rpm..

KillaCam
08-25-2012, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the info Bobby! I'm going to have to pick up some green pads and try them out.