PDA

View Full Version : Is there a 2.5-3.5 inch backing plate for PC?

Pages : [1] 2

FlawlessMustang
08-16-2012, 09:52 PM
I'd like to get a small backing plate for the Porter Cable polisher, so I can use a small pad (3-4 inches) to better fit the more narrow parts of my car. I seen one, but it's designed for the Griot's apparently. Does anybody know if there's another one for the PC? Would the 5.5" pad work for about a 2 inch wide part of a panel? The pad would not be centered over it because it's around the brake light and goes under the trunk. It's also this way on the quarter panels down the side of the hood. Anyone who has 2010 or newer mustang will know what i'm talking about. In essence, it would primarily be the side of the pad making contact with the panel.

Also if anyone can help clarify this, i'm planning to use the Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, and deep gloss paint sealant. I am going to buy 3 white Lake country flat pads (Swirl remover), 3 black flat pads (less aggressive than white for the finishing glaze), and 2 blue flat pads (least aggressive for sealant). Should I have enough pads to complete my car for each product?

Thanks

Eandras
08-16-2012, 10:02 PM
The Griots will fit the PC. It has the same thread

Ed

rmagnus
08-16-2012, 10:29 PM
See if this helps you out

Porter Cable 7424 Backing Plates- Dual Action Hook & Loop backing plate for your porter cable 7424, The best backing plates for the Porter Cable 7424 (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424-7336-backing-plates.html)

Edit
Just re-read your post. yes you have enough pads just remember to clean them as you go every panel or two. I would never recommend using the side of a pad on a PC to hit a thin area like you described. Just do it by hand.

Dirtyrango212
08-16-2012, 10:42 PM
There sure is sir here's the links http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/bg-rev-wide.jpg I use this for my 3" pads really it measures 2 7/8" and this one for the 4" pads http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/autogeek/bg-rev-wide.jpg its a little under 3.5"I they have them for the rotary also.

FlawlessMustang
08-16-2012, 10:42 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I found what I needed. I have another question. Which color pads should I get for the swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, and paint sealant? I figured the CCS Spot Buff 4 inch foam pads. I could get the blue for my Pinnacle Souveran wax after the paint sealant. I'm not sure which color for the swirl remover, finishing glaze, and paint sealant. Any ideas on the 4 inch pads?

For the 5.5", i'm getting the Lake Country 5.5" flat pads. White for the swirl remover, black for the finishing glaze, and blue for the sealant and wax.

Buckskincolt
08-16-2012, 10:51 PM
Also if anyone can help clarify this, i'm planning to use the Wolfgang Total swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, and deep gloss paint sealant. I am going to buy 3 white Lake country flat pads (Swirl remover), 3 black flat pads (less aggressive than white for the finishing glaze), and 2 blue flat pads (least aggressive for sealant). Should I have enough pads to complete my car for each product?

Thanks

The WG TSR is not super aggressive, without seeing your paint I'd suggest you also buy Orange pads for the TSR. Will get better correction or you may need them to accomplish the correction you desire.
I use these polishes a lot and really like them with the Hydro -Tech pads. Cyan for the TSR and Tangerine for the FG then go with either a blue flat or Crimson Ht for the sealant. I really like the Ht system because it only has 3 levels of pads to own and they work great and IMO finish better.

I also think you are tight on the number of pads, I usually use 4 of each color on an average size car. You might make it with 3 but you will need to really keep them clean and not let them get over saturated. If you try to work them to long and they to overloaded then tend to build heat and damage the pad to Velcro.

I use the 3 or 4" pads for LSP application, gets in a lot tighter spots then do a little touch up by hand and you are done.

Buckskincolt
08-16-2012, 10:56 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the help guys. I found what I needed. I have another question. Which color pads should I get for the swirl remover 3.0, finishing glaze, and paint sealant? I figured the CCS Spot Buff 4 inch foam pads. I could get the blue for my Pinnacle Souveran wax after the paint sealant. I'm not sure which color for the swirl remover, finishing glaze, and paint sealant. Any ideas on the 4 inch pads?

For the 5.5", i'm getting the Lake Country 5.5" flat pads. White for the swirl remover, black for the finishing glaze, and blue for the sealant and wax.

The CCS pads follow the same color chart as the Flats. Again I'd choose the orange for the TSR, White for the FG and Blue for sealant or wax for both the 5.5 and 4" pads.
Take a look at the HT pads too, they come in 4" as well as the 5.5"

Dirtyrango212
08-16-2012, 10:58 PM
I'd like to get a small backing plate for the Porter Cable polisher, so I can use a small pad (3-4 inches) to better fit the more narrow parts of my car. I seen one, but it's designed for the Griot's apparently. Does anybody know if there's another one for the PC? Would the 5.5" pad work for about a 2 inch wide part of a panel? The pad would not be centered over it because it's around the brake light and goes under the trunk. It's also this way on the quarter panels down the side of the hood. Anyone who has 2010 or newer mustang will know what i'm talking about. In essence, it would primarily be the side of the pad making contact with the panel.

Thanks

I just realized a few key things you said 2" strip, around the tail light and edging the pads? Well ya you can do that but how affective is it going to be and can it be done in a safe way? Some stuff you just gotta do buy hand there's many places that a machine just can't go unfortunately?

Buckskincolt
08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
This might help you.
Lake Country Buffing Pads (http://www.autopia-carcare.com/lake-country-pads.html)
It's AG sister company so I think it's ok to post. mods, if not please delete.

FlawlessMustang
08-17-2012, 10:35 AM
I thought about doing it by hand on those smaller strips already, but I didn't think I would be able to break down the abrasives in the swirl remover doing it by hand.

Also my paint really isn't bad at all as far as swirls. There are barely any swirls in it. The swirls that are there are extremely light. I'm really not a 100% sure that I even need the swirl remover :confused: I have more light straight scratches than anything. I don't know anything about polishers and pads, but from what i've read and watched so far, I don't think my paint is in bad enough condition to need the orange pad. I think the white pad should be aggressive enough. I hope so anyways.

I really appreciate the help guys :dblthumb2:

FlawlessMustang
08-17-2012, 11:46 AM
Never mind on my last post. I went out today and looked a little closer and I do see more swirls than I originally thought. I guess i'm going to go with the Hydrotech pads and get 3 5.5" cyan pads, 3 5.5" tangerine pads, 3 5.5" crimson pads, 1 or 2 3" cyan pads, 1 or 2 3" tangerine pads, and 1 or 2 3" crimson pads. What should I use for spots that I have to do by hand like the door handle. Does a foam wax applicator pad work fine for the finishing glaze, or should I just use sealant to get behind the door handle?

KneeDragr
08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
The WG TSR is not super aggressive, without seeing your paint I'd suggest you also buy Orange pads for the TSR. Will get better correction or you may need them to accomplish the correction you desire.
I use these polishes a lot and really like them with the Hydro -Tech pads. Cyan for the TSR and Tangerine for the FG then go with either a blue flat or Crimson Ht for the sealant. I really like the Ht system because it only has 3 levels of pads to own and they work great and IMO finish better.

:iagree:

Ive got the same pads, use the same Wolfgang products, and they took 95% of the swirls out of the finish of my DD. Really wasnt much effort either, just apply enough pressure for the pad rotation to slow down, 3 passes on a 2x2 area and *poof* swirls gone.

Buckskincolt
08-17-2012, 02:43 PM
You won't need that many crimson, you are only applying product with them so one will do an entire vehicle.

I use the 4" pads when I'm done polishing on the machine peel them off and use them by hand to get the really tight areas.

I think you will be very happy With the Ht pads, a little more money but worth it IMO.

Dirtyrango212
08-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Well from what it sounds like maybe your right? But the orange lc pads would only make sense to get seeing you got the others - a compound pad realistically we all know that regardless of what we do down the road you more than likely need them to remove scratches/defects be it are doing or not :doh: Besides they might surprise you on there cut/finish ability product, pressure, speed dependent of course? And for hand polishing yes you can have them break down and be able to accomplish your goals. Also someone chime in if im wrong but a good idea to complete your setup would be to get some ultimate compound or better yet M105 and hay 205 wouldn't hurt either lol??

Dirtyrango212
08-17-2012, 04:15 PM
:surrender: Wow I gotta really work on my typing there's what 4-5 posts since I started lol you even changed pads lol