PDA

View Full Version : Best product to remove body shop paint

William D.
08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

According to the service records I have, the GMC Sierra I own was in an accident about 10 years ago. The hood, fender, and grille were replaced, and repainted.

First off, the shop painted them the wrong color. It was close, but it was painted more a purplish-red, vs. maroon. It's close enough most people wouldn't notice.

Anyway, it was done rather poorly. The paint is now peeling all off the hood, and on the top of the fender. I intend to have these parts repainted within the next month or two.

They also painted the upper door to "blend" the paint. This has now turned opaque and whitish. I noticed today when I was polishing the roof of the truck that a bit had gotten on the door, and restored a bit of the color. So, I took some polish, and went to work for a few minutes on a small part. It begin to "eat through" the blended paint, exposing the shiny, factory paint underneath.

What product can I use to polish off the crappy "blended" paint, and reveal the nice factory paint/clearcoat underneath without damaging it?

I can keep going at it with the polish I have (made by a local here, works well on oxidized paint) but it'll take me quite a while by hand.

I can add photos if it would be helpful, just give me a little time.

chris.ganucheau
08-16-2012, 08:50 PM
the only thing i would be worried about would be where it was blended. They must of sanded the factory clear so that the new paint would have something to adhere too, so if you start removing the new paint you might go through whats left of the factory clear. Im not real familiar with painting but I mix paint an sell it. Someone else might be a little more familiar with what your asking. Good luck!

William D.
08-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Honestly, from the paint that I've already exposed, I see no evidence of it being sanded. It's just as shiny and glossy as the paint on the rest of the truck.

The whole job prep-wise looks like it was done by the lowest bidder.