PDA

View Full Version : So I was picking up some spray bottles from a distributor when...

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2012, 04:36 PM
I met up with a local distr. to grab a bunch of spray bottles. I was outside a car accesory shop when the owner asked if I had any business cards and wanted to meet me. I gave him a card and he asked for pricing. I told him to look at my website. I told him I am not the cheapest around but I do quality work. He started saying he started off by detailing 27 years ago and he moved to window tinting and installing aftermarket parts on cars. He told me he has people looking for detailing so he would keep in touch.

I asked him if he was using all of the bays in his shop and he said no. We walked out and there is a bay in the back that is never used. He then tells me his old shop has a one bay shop that will fit 2 cars in comfortably and it has a 10-15 office with bathroom. Great water pressure heater and AC. He is asking $800 per month and that includes trash, water, signage and electricity!! That seem fairly cheap to me. I have looked at tons of places and this seems reasonable. He also said he would put my on his web page and tell everyone that comes in about me. It is in a nice area but not a ton of heavy traffic.

I would have to invest in some new equipment which would suck but I have already bought some doubles of stuff because I've been wanting to rent some space out somewhere.

I'm wondering how it will play out in the winter. I'm wondering if I'll be busier there than normally being mobile.

What do you guys think on the pricing of the shop?

master detailer
08-16-2012, 05:06 PM
ITs a little high but with him paying for the ac heat and water where is this place as in state ?

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2012, 05:08 PM
County of st. Louis

darkangelism
08-16-2012, 05:15 PM
What if you started in the spare bay to see how well a shop works out before renting the other shop?

604_Snooze
08-16-2012, 05:17 PM
How much gas do you use for mobile per month?

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Around 600

EddieF
08-16-2012, 05:42 PM
I'm wondering, since he's offering all that stuff if he's gonna want a piece of your profits.

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm wondering, since he's offering all that stuff if he's gonna want a piece of your profits.

No I keep all my profit

SuperiorAutoLLC
08-16-2012, 06:00 PM
He obviously knows a bunch of people in the auto industry and his referrals could easily front your monthly overhead. Good luck!

ShineTimeDetail
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
I think working out of the bay at his shop could be more lucrative.

car nut
08-16-2012, 06:21 PM
I say go for it if you spend 600.00 on fuel and then figure ware and tare on your truck.Time saved in travel set up time seems you would more than cover that 800.00 monthly nut. Another plus is warm in the cold months and out of the sun in warm weather leaving you less fatigued.And able to do more work. Best wishes what ever you decide.

DaveT435
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
I met up with a local distr. to grab a bunch of spray bottles. I was outside a car accesory shop when the owner asked if I had any business cards and wanted to meet me. I gave him a card and he asked for pricing. I told him to look at my website. I told him I am not the cheapest around but I do quality work. He started saying he started off by detailing 27 years ago and he moved to window tinting and installing aftermarket parts on cars. He told me he has people looking for detailing so he would keep in touch.

I asked him if he was using all of the bays in his shop and he said no. We walked out and there is a bay in the back that is never used. He then tells me his old shop has a one bay shop that will fit 2 cars in comfortably and it has a 10-15 office with bathroom. Great water pressure heater and AC. He is asking $800 per month and that includes trash, water, signage and electricity!! That seem fairly cheap to me. I have looked at tons of places and this seems reasonable. He also said he would put my on his web page and tell everyone that comes in about me. It is in a nice area but not a ton of heavy traffic.

I would have to invest in some new equipment which would suck but I have already bought some doubles of stuff because I've been wanting to rent some space out somewhere.

I'm wondering how it will play out in the winter. I'm wondering if I'll be busier there than normally being mobile.

What do you guys think on the pricing of the shop?
Price sounds great. As far as heavy traffic...I would think a large portion of your business is word of mouth. The guy sounds like a great guy...maybe he would charge you seasonally for the rent. You figure that building is just sitting there costing him money right now. If he's a busy reputable shop I would imagine he will send you quite a bit of business. People that customize their cars are the type that will pay to have them detailed as well///IMHO

Sommy
08-16-2012, 07:00 PM
Location is key.

ShineTimeDetail
08-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Well I looked at the shop today and its nice! 2 cars can be in it with plenty of room for equipment and storage. It also has a nice 10/15 office area with a bathroom and a shares kitchen. Could prob live in the place if I wanted. Prob us it nog heavily trafficed. $800 includes all utilities.

The bay at his shop is all by itself in the back. One bay. The nice thing about at his shop I have people coming in all day long. $650 includes all utilities.

He said he would put a sign up for me at the 2 bay shop.

If I did some search engine optimization traffic wouldnt matter. If I was up to on searches people would find me.

I'm about 50/50 but leaning more towards the 1 bay.

darkangelism
08-20-2012, 02:45 PM
I think the 1 bay is better because all his business will be through there.