PDA

View Full Version : Michael from Southern New Jersey

mdeepauto
08-16-2012, 03:41 PM
Hello fellow Geeks!

I am Michael from New Jersey. I've come to use this forum a lot in the past few months so i figured i'd introduce myself and get into some conversations! I started detailing when I got my first car when I was 15, 5 years ago now. I used to stay up late cleaning the door jambs with toothbrushes and the air vents with q-tips and enjoyed every minute of it. After my dad, a former detailer, told me my work was good, I began bringing in customers from a local country club at which we were members. He must be pulling his hair out now, 5 years later, when there is constantly a customer's car in our garage being detailed.
As i progressed in my work, I began trying new things. First, it was different waxes, then it was engine bay detailing, and finally paint correction including wetsanding, which is what i've been focusing on in the past year or 2. I began working with a Flex rotary buffer (probably backwards as most people begin with DA) but the detailer I learned from swore by rotary buffers, regardless of their risks (and I definitely found the risks as I burned some edges on my own car once or twice! Good thing it wasn't a customers car). I worked with them for awhile and still do, but now use DA polishers (Porter Cable and Flex VRG ) as well. Also, I became friendly with the area Zaino Show Car Polish Dealer, who has given me the most guidance and great customer referrals, not to mention, great products!

Most recently, I've had the pleasure of detailing a few nice cars, a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport and a 1956 Ford Fairlane. Working on these awesome rides is fun and with the help of AutoGeek and solid experience, I think I can specialize on higher end cars, classics and exotics like Advanced Detailing of South Florida and Oakes of PA.

Now, I am 20 years old, still detailing out of my garage and trying to gain a customer base big enough to support a business once I am out of school (Junior Accounting major at Rutgers). My work is becoming a bit more focused on paint correction and scratch removal on nicer cars which is what I am striving for. I enjoy the process of detailing and all of the education that goes along with it. AutoGeek has definitely helped me gain knowledge about the art of detailing and is my go to for awesome products!

Check out my new Facebook page to see some of my recent work! www.Facebook.com/Detailed2Perfection

Here are a few pictures of some work Ive done as well!

Thanks for reading and hope to talk to you on the threads!

Mike Phillips
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Great intro, sounds like you're off to a great start!

:xyxthumbs:

mjlinane
08-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Welcome to AGO!!

mdeepauto
08-16-2012, 03:58 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online! :welcome:

Great intro, sounds like you're off to a great start!

:xyxthumbs:

Thanks a lot Mike! I enjoy your videos and seeing the work you do. Hope to come to one of your sessions in Florida soon!

kmsdetailing
08-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Welcome Mike. Ken here from Northern NJ. Where in Southern NJ are you?
I constantly explore the Pine Barrens and fins myself detailing my own vehicle a lot. I try to get the vehicle as dirty as possible and watch the people's faces when driving home on the Garden State Parkway.

rider9195
08-16-2012, 05:14 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online Michael!!

427cobraS/C
08-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice work Mike! Jim from south Jersey just down the road from you.

mdeepauto
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Welcome Mike. Ken here from Northern NJ. Where in Southern NJ are you?
I constantly explore the Pine Barrens and fins myself detailing my own vehicle a lot. I try to get the vehicle as dirty as possible and watch the people's faces when driving home on the Garden State Parkway.

Hey Kim, I'm from the Cherry Hill area, right across the bridge from Philadelphia. My family has a house in Ocean City so I constantly drive through the Pine barrens and on the Parkway! Maybe I'll see you there! Thanks for the welcome.

mdeepauto
08-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Welcome to Autogeek Online Michael!!

Thanks!

mdeepauto
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
Nice work Mike! Jim from south Jersey just down the road from you.

Where in SJ? I'm in the Cherry Hill area. Where are you located? Do you own a shop? Thanks for the welcome!

sproketser
08-18-2012, 08:35 PM
Welcome aboard