PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone change a pulley in FL?

Pages : [1] 2

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Is anyone capable of doing a minor engine work job? The idle tensioner pulley in my 2000 Acura TL is biting the dust as we speak and it needs to be replaced. If anyone on here in West/Southwest FL area is capable of doing this, please let me know so we can talk price and what not.

Thanks guys, hopefully someone can save me!

Dan

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:22 PM
to bad i dnt live there id help you out...sorry man

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Idler pullies should just be held in by a bolt. Nothing more. I can change those on my car in like 5 min. Unless somthing more is holding, I can't imagine it would be very hard.

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:31 PM
ya v-8s are a little easier tho cuz they are in the front...honda/acura on the side..a little diffrent

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 01:33 PM
I have a FWD Grandprix also, granted there is less room, but you can get to most everything with a little "creative" twisting. If I was not 4 hours away, I would come do it.

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 01:34 PM
greg, you want to do it for me? i know its only one bolt, because it is in plain sight, like a slightly harder position to get to because of the motor's orientation. the pully is on the passenger side, facing the wheel. likewise, i dont have the proper tool to get to that bolt and retorque it down to spec.

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 01:35 PM
I have a FWD Grandprix also, granted there is less room, but you can get to most everything with a little "creative" twisting. If I was not 4 hours away, I would come do it.

damn... that would have been perfect too...

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:36 PM
hey..go to an orileys or autozone and ask them what tool you need and you can rent it

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 01:38 PM
its going to be some sort of a ratcheting wrench that can also be set for torquing...

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:39 PM
torque wrench...they have them at oriley

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 01:41 PM
greg, you want to do it for me? i know its only one bolt, because it is in plain sight, like a slightly harder position to get to because of the motor's orientation. the pully is on the passenger side, facing the wheel. likewise, i dont have the proper tool to get to that bolt and retorque it down to spec.

If I remeber right, the torque rating on pulleys isn't more than 10-12 lbft, thats hand tight. If you over torque them, it will lock the pulley. It may be diffrent for Acura, but I doubt it, just put a little red loctite on it and tighten down with a ratchet, but don't go balls out. If it is at a bad angle, you may be able to get to it from underneath the car. If it is low or in the back, that is an easy way to get at it.

Edit: and most torque wrenchs don't start until about ~20lbft. At least all the ones I have used and mine are like that.

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:46 PM
ya good idea bout the locktite

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 02:05 PM
i have one.... but i dont need it...

UPDATE: lol

apparently its an automatic tensioner, so the entire assembly (held on my three 10mm. bolts) can be replaced. the thing is, getting to the bolts

Surfer
04-11-2007, 05:36 PM
I've done my V8, not sure about yours but unfortunetley just don't really have the time. Shouldn't be that hard if you get the tool from an Autopart store to rent and usually you can browse the Haynes or other manual there and see what to do.

Though I'm not sure what your setup looks like. I've still yet to figure out what the hell tool Ford used on my truck to bolt the headlights in, as I cannot find it anywhere lol. There's these funky look bolts on the back that even my motehrs boyfriend doesn't have the tool for and he has a ton of tools for his business and just laying around.

Try an Acura forum and ask. Or heck, call up Comptech and ask them.

White95DodgeRam
04-11-2007, 05:44 PM
its not too abd if i rememeber correctly when my buds integra we got em from the underside and just snug'd em down with a socket wrench