PDA

View Full Version : Outstanding results with unconventional methods.

Dave'sDetails
08-16-2012, 12:42 PM
What we have here is a recent detail I had the privilege of doing on a Jet Black BMW 650i. The paint is indeed quite soft. One of the hardest trial and error sessions I have ever had. And what made it worse was it was just recently purchased by it's new owner, and not previously taken care of at all. I do not have any before pictures, those somehow slipped my mind. I tried MANY different combinations of products on this paint. And some corrected good but left a haze, some just plain didn't leave the EXACT finish I was looking for. Believe it or not, I ended up cutting with Meg's Ultimate Compound on a LC white pad with the DeWalt rotary. Yes, Meg's UC with a rotary. I then went back over that with a black pad on the DeWalt DA polisher with M205. The result was a near perfect finish, with NO holograms. Even after IPA wipedowns, and a wash to remove all polishing oils. I ended up using CG BL topped with Meg's Cold Class paste wax to finish it off. Total time spent on polishing the exterior was 6 hours. The interior was given a cleaning with Meg's Interior Quick Detailer, and the floors were extracted. I dont have any pics of the interior though. This car was actually done at my current workplace as my "go out with a bang" car. I am starting at a new 9-5 on monday. And when the customer found this out, he asked how much he would have to pay to get me to be his exclusive full time "fleet" detailer. Overall, he was VERY happy with the work. He kept looking at it at different angles in disbelief. I was told that cars aren't supposed to look that good, it makes him not want to drive it. Anyhow, onto the pics.

BobbyG
08-16-2012, 01:27 PM
Gorgeous results on that 6 series BMW!!

Don't you just love it when the game changes panel to panel! Having the ability to recognize a change on the fly isn't all that easy and sometimes it takes some experimenting to discover a combination or combinations that work well....:props: Glad you found something that worked well.....:props:

I love my rotaries!! :props:

Dave'sDetails
08-16-2012, 01:36 PM
I also like my rotary. Now all I need is some menzerna sf4500. I think if I did meg's uc on an orange lc pad, m205 on a white lc pad, and then sf4500 on a black pad via rotary there may have been just a little more depth.

CEE DOG
08-16-2012, 02:57 PM
Very nicely done! Great work and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of us. I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say I would love to see a great sunshot as well but I'm sure it would look great if you had taken one! I enjoyed the reflection in image 2 :cheers:

Dave'sDetails
08-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Haha ya. A sunshot would definitely be the obvious testament to the results. Although I forgot that also. Next time I will be sure to get direct sun shots. Thanks for the kind words guys.