PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on polishing my glasses (plastic)

Pages : [1] 2

Klasse Act
08-16-2012, 09:05 AM
So my glasses are getting so scratched up, they're about 6 years old and not cheap to replace as my script is pretty strong, so is there anything I can do to polish them out? I've tried my polishes and it doesn't exactly do the trick. So if there's anything you guys can think of, let me know, thanks:props:

BobbyG
08-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Since they're prescription glasses I don't suggest polishing otherwise you'll change the lens prescription. I've seen coating that fill these voids and scratches but can't tell you how they work as I've never tried them....

Mike Phillips
08-16-2012, 09:31 AM
I dropped a pair of prescription glasses in a concrete hot tub once and by the time I retrieved them they had swirled around and were pretty scratched up.

I took some PlastX, a small piece of terry cloth and while waiting for my plane to take off at an airport meticulously rubbed out a majority of scratches and got them to the point I could wear them again.

I think I have before and after pictures somewhere on an old hard drive...

:)

Mike Phillips
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
PlastX uses a rare and unique abrasive mined in Australia, at least that's what I think I know... I could be wrong.

I know it's easy to think of abrasives in general terms but there are very unique types of abrasives in the world and a good chemist knows this and knows when to use the right type for a specific application.

Of course if there is any coating on the surface you abrade you will abrade the coating off.

FUNX650
08-16-2012, 10:21 AM
So my glasses are getting so scratched up, they're about 6 years old and not cheap to replace as my script is pretty strong,

Are you sure you're "seeing" scratches? :D
Six years is a long time between Rx changes... :wow:

In the meantime...Try some Plexus-type products...and make an 'eye-appointment'!

Bob

Klasse Act
08-16-2012, 12:30 PM
I passed my eye test 2 yrs ago when I moved to Chicago so I'm good there and will spend some more time polishing, thanks guys!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

FUNX650
08-16-2012, 04:42 PM
I passed my eye test 2 yrs ago when I moved to Chicago so I'm good there and will spend some more time polishing, thanks guys!

-Glad you passed your eye test!!...But that was: "2 yrs. ago"

-"Spend-ing more time polishing"? :nomore:
That's time away from layering some more surface protection :poke:

Also:

:bolt:

Bob

faulksy
08-17-2012, 06:26 AM
I have had success with PlastX as well

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/46050-chemical-etching-interior-plastic-how-remove.html

derek0609
08-17-2012, 07:25 AM
-Glad you passed your eye test!!...But that was: "2 yrs. ago"

-"Spend-ing more time polishing"? :nomore:
That's time away from layering some more surface protection :poke:

Also:

:bolt:

Bob

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! Now this is FUNNY!!!

I do agree, it's been two years Roger, it might be time for another check up and some new glasses. Think of them as new tires for your eyes! I get my eyes checked every year, we are in our 40's now buddy!

Klasse Act
08-17-2012, 09:06 AM
Current script is from 2004, took my eye test when I moved to Chicago in Jan of 2010 and passed the test but I do plan on getting an exam and new glasses when I renew my drivers licence in 2014. I have no problem seeing, just wanna make the glasses better than they are now. My script makes my lenses expensive, but I will be getting them when need be.

As far as surface protection count goes, believe it or not, its spot on, I'm pretty particular about updating it when I touch the car with a product. Derek says the number is higher due to use of ONR which has gloss enhancers in there but I don't count that, just products that are applied afterwards, that's it.

I know its hard to believe and funny to a point but the current count is correct!

CEE DOG
08-17-2012, 09:25 AM
I agree with Bobby but if you want to polish try novus plastic polish.

Klasse Act
08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Well yesterday I used some Meg's UC followed by Plasti-X and again today with the later and they are more clear and some of the scratches are there but has a more "HD" look to them now, should tie me over for a while, thanks everyone, nowhere else but AG;-)

FUNX650
08-17-2012, 11:59 AM
Well yesterday I used some Meg's UC followed by Plasti-X and again today with the later and they are more clear and some of the scratches are there but has a more "HD" look to them now, should tie me over for a while, thanks everyone, nowhere else but AG;-)

-Glad you made some progress in clearing up some of your glasses' defects. :props:

But...If I may inquire...

...Since/because of:

...2 yrs ago I moved to Chicago...

Is this your definition of a: "more "H D" look"?...
...{Perhaps the: Polishing away of: half the frames and lenses :eek:}...

As depicted, and being worn by:

Hans Dieter (Betz), the prominent Professor Emeritus of The New Testament at:
The University of Chicago Divinity School.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/HDBetz.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/48875)

:confused:

Bob

Klasse Act
08-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Ummm, I moved to Chicago and had to get a new licence, that was 2 yrs ago:-P

BWG707
08-17-2012, 01:02 PM
So I take it that polishing any glasses with anti-reflecting coating will abrade that coating?