PDA

View Full Version : New paint/body work care

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 10:30 AM
Hey all, my car is currently having some body work done. I am getting the holes from my stock spoiler welded up and haveing that resprayed and blended into the rear fenders. So most of the back half of the car is going to be new paint. I know I can't seal it or wax it for 60-90days so the paint can fully cure, but this is my DD in Florida and don't really want to be driving around without any protection on the paint.

Is there any product I can use to protect the paint from the elements etc. that I can pick up? I heard glazes are ok to use, but that they will wash off is not sealed, what can I use?

D
04-11-2007, 10:36 AM
You usually dont top a glaze with a sealant because it could cause bonding issues. Maybe you meant topping the glaze with a wax?

Sounds like youve got a badass GTO.

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 10:38 AM
You usually dont top a glaze with a sealant because it could cause bonding issues. Maybe you meant topping the glaze with a wax?

I wasn't going to top with a glaze and I don't want to seal with anything because of curing issues. Just don't want to leave it exposed.

And ya, it moves pretty quick...about to get the N/X treatment too.

scottgt
04-11-2007, 11:43 AM
hmmm put a blanket on it :p

D
04-11-2007, 12:37 PM
I think itll be fine for 60- 90 days.

Ever run it at the track? I had an NX 100 shot on my car for a little while.

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 12:44 PM

actually, you can top a glaze with a sealant. the problem with most sealants is that they contain carnauba, which will prevent the sealant from bonding, so in that respect you are correct. DP and WG's Finishing Glazes, however, do not contain carnauba, so you can apply any wax or sealant you want on top of these.

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 12:51 PM
I think itll be fine for 60- 90 days.

Ever run it at the track? I had an NX 100 shot on my car for a little while.

Ya, currently I run a 12.1@113, spinning through the 60'. With the M/T street's, 3:91 gears and a 100 shot I hope to be low 11's. Maybe a high, high 10.9X somthing on a cold night. That is if I don't break anything first.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try and not drive it as much as possiable for the cure time. And just make sure nothing gets on it. Black car in the sun should help back that paint a little faster.

Jimmie
04-11-2007, 12:54 PM
Here's something to look at for new paint 3M Imperial Hand Glaze is a gentle moisturizer, especially for beautifying freshly painted surfaces! (http://www.autogeek.net/3mimhanglaz.html) . I believe that the 3M Imperial Hand Glaz is more for new paint.

D
04-11-2007, 12:56 PM
Ya, currently I run a 12.1@113, spinning through the 60'. With the M/T street's, 3:91 gears and a 100 shot I hope to be low 11's. Maybe a high, high 10.9X somthing on a cold night. That is if I don't break anything first.

Thanks for the help guys. I will try and not drive it as much as possiable for the cure time. And just make sure nothing gets on it. Black car in the sun should help back that paint a little faster.

Not bad, those things are heavy. Ever weigh it?

greg'sgoat
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Not bad, those things are heavy. Ever weigh it?

Never weighed it. Never really cared, something like 4000 with me in it. Trying to launch a manual isn't easy either. Heavy car+high hp+manual tranny=broken rear end parts. Just a matter of time.

scottgt
04-11-2007, 01:28 PM
i went 12.9 on m/t...woot woot m/t ruleee

D
04-11-2007, 02:10 PM
actually, you can top a glaze with a sealant. the problem with most sealants is that they contain carnauba, which will prevent the sealant from bonding, so in that respect you are correct. DP and WG's Finishing Glazes, however, do not contain carnauba, so you can apply any wax or sealant you want on top of these.

I thought its bad to put a sealant over a glaze or wax because the carnauba in the glaze/ wax will cause bonding problems with the sealant. I understand you can put a sealant on top of some glazes that dont have carnauba in them.

bambo2888
04-11-2007, 02:40 PM
you can put a glaze on a cleaned surface. you can put a sealant on some glazes (DP and WG are two that I know of and use), you can put a wax ontop of just about anything.

D
04-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Right.