PDA

View Full Version : what type of scratch is this ?

c5errr
08-16-2012, 01:26 AM
hello guys
i just did my brothers dodge charger and saw 2 of these scratches:

http://im14.gulfup.com/2012-08-16/1345096419171.jpg (http://www.gulfup.com/show/Xs77dv6wqdnkg4)

the black dot looks like clearcoat dust
but the scratch surrounding it ?
so what do u think this scratch is

rmagnus
08-16-2012, 02:05 AM
Looks like something was placed on top of the car causing the scratch. It does look deep but not through to the base coat. Should be able to sand and buff them out. A picture not zoomed in so far would help.

AutowerxDetailing
08-16-2012, 02:13 AM
To me it looks like a piece of dirt was stuck under a pad an a DA while polishing.

SeaJay's
08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
To me it looks like a piece of dirt was stuck under a pad an a DA while polishing.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Looks like pig tails.

Have to always ensure your pad is clean. I always have my pad conditioning brush on hand. After each section I brush the pad to ensure no debris is on it. I also use many pads for corrections.

BobbyG
08-16-2012, 06:51 AM
Did he buy it new?

Those look like sanding pigtails "under" the paint.....

Kevin Cullen
08-16-2012, 08:18 AM
L:xyxthumbs:I agree with the pig tails. If you can catch your nail or feel them they are on the clear coat. Of you can't they are in the paint and not much you can do or caused. Unless you painted the car:xyxthumbs:

c5errr
08-17-2012, 05:37 AM
Did he buy it new?

Those look like sanding pigtails "under" the paint.....

yes bobby G
its a brand new and that scratch was there before i started polishing the car - actually all i did remove old wax put new wax

c5errr
08-17-2012, 05:43 AM

i always clean my pads after each panel :buffing:
and that black dot was there before i started working on it

Mike Phillips
08-17-2012, 06:32 AM
Was the car machine sanded? That's where Pigtails come from, see here,

Tracers Tracers - RIDS - Pigtails - Cobweb Swirls - Rotary Buffer Swirls - Holograms - Water Spots - Bird Drooping Etchings - Micro-Marring (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/22234-tracers-rids-pigtails-cobweb-swirls-rotary-buffer-swirls-holograms-water-spots-bird-droping-etchings-micro-marring.html)

If not then looks like a small abrasive particle of some type became trapped between the paint and the pad of a rotary buffer. Happened to me one time while buffing out a black 7 series BMW

Inflicted scratches like in your picture throughout the finish. This was when I was much, much younger and not as experienced. I had to re-compound the entire car to remove them.

That hurt...

Here's the lesson...
Clean your pads often, seriously. And inspect your work as you move from section to section.

:)

Mister B
08-17-2012, 06:45 AM
Happened to me once almost 3 years ago while polishing my truck with my PC. Luckily I had the halogen lights on while I was polishing and I only got about 12" or so before I noticed the pigtails and I stopped immediately.

Thankfully with Mikes guidance I was able to remove the pigtails.

Mike Phillips
08-17-2012, 06:47 AM
Happened to me once also while polishing my truck with my PC. Luckily I had the halogen lights on while I was polishing and I only got about 12" or so before I noticed the pigtails and I stopped immediately.

Thankfully with Mikes guidance I was able to remove the pigtails.

Hi Brian,

Good to see you back on the forum...

:xyxthumbs:

Mister B
08-17-2012, 06:55 AM
Hi Brian,

Good to see you back on the forum...

:xyxthumbs:

Hi Mike.

Thanks. It is good to be back on. Just don't have the time like I used to with my new job.

BobbyG
08-17-2012, 07:13 AM
While pigtails can occur when compounding and polishing, they generally result during the repair and surface prep prior to painting.

Dual action sanders are very commonly used in Autobody work. Fillers commonly used are finish sanded using a dual action machine and it's very common for the sanding disk to pick up particles that impart this type of defect due to its oscillating design.

The photo you posed is good but I can not see the defect clear enough to determine before or after finishing.

This could also have resulted during a damp sanding process. Similar to panel repair, damp sanding employees the same principal however this time it's done from the top layer of paint, not on the panel or substrate. If a particle or paint or other debris becomes stuck the result will be the same...

Something else to consider is a repair at the factory or dealer occurs quite often. Even though we'd like to think that cars coming from the factory are perfect and without repair is more of a wish rather than reality...

c5errr
08-21-2012, 03:31 AM
While pigtails can occur when compounding and polishing, they generally result during the repair and surface prep prior to painting.

Dual action sanders are very commonly used in Autobody work. Fillers commonly used are finish sanded using a dual action machine and it's very common for the sanding disk to pick up particles that impart this type of defect due to its oscillating design.

The photo you posed is good but I can not see the defect clear enough to determine before or after finishing.

This could also have resulted during a damp sanding process. Similar to panel repair, damp sanding employees the same principal however this time it's done from the top layer of paint, not on the panel or substrate. If a particle or paint or other debris becomes stuck the result will be the same...

Something else to consider is a repair at the factory or dealer occurs quite often. Even though we'd like to think that cars coming from the factory are perfect and without repair is more of a wish rather than reality...

bobby g
that is exactly what i was thinking
its like dust particles have been trapped under the clear then the dealer tried to correct them but caused those pigtails instead of removing dust particles

and thank you very much for the information