PDA

View Full Version : A RIVIERA 37 to polish out .Any Tips

Smurf
08-15-2012, 09:19 PM
Hi All In 2 weeks a Riviera 37 will be put onto dry dock to get some work done . I have been askes to ploish it out .
From what I have been told by the owner it is very oxidize to the point where the botom of your feet turn white .

What would be the best polish to use the 3m range or Meguiars ?
I was thinking of compounding with a wool pad on a rotary then finishing of with a flex 3401 or would the flex be good enough to do the whole jod ?

What would be the best foam pads to use on a boat ?

oksmokey
08-16-2012, 09:29 AM
I'm no pro by any means. I have only done one boat but I used a Dewalt rotary with 3M super duty rubbing compound #05954 with a wool pad then 3M perfect it II rubbing compound #05973 with a foam pad. Results were great. I'm not sure what brand the foam pad was. It removed all the oxidation and brought back the red gelcoat from a dull ugly pink to a deep shiny red like it was supposed to be.

Good luck with the boat. Mine was just a 24ft cuddy cabin. That 37 ft boat is going to take a lot of time. I bet it turns out great though.

KKYS
08-23-2012, 02:23 AM
From what I have been told by the owner it is very oxidize to the point where the botom of your feet turn white .

When gelcoat is that oxidized, the first thing to grab is somthing like a Sia 6120 Siavlies
Maroon or gold on your rotory to prep the surface.