PDA

View Full Version : Removing all wax and vinyl stripes prior to wrap

Ohio Detailing
08-15-2012, 11:12 AM
Gentlemen,

I am curious what the best solvent-based chemical(s) is/are for completely stripping wax down to the most raw state for better adhesion of 3M vehicle vinyl wrap?

Also, after I remove the vinyl racing stripes and accent lower-panel stripes, would that same solvent-based chemical be ideal for removing any left over residue down the length of the vehicle, or does something better exist for that specific purpose?

Thank you

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
08-15-2012, 11:18 AM
3M adhesive remover. Can be found at your local auto parts store.

ihaveacamaro
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
What I would do is use a very concentrated wash of Chemical Guys Citrus Wash N Gloss. Something like 1 ounce to a gallon.

After washing with that, rinse (will probably take a lot of rinsing because now the soap and water want to cling to the paint since there is no wax), and dry.

Then hit it with the 3M adhesive remover. They come in aerosol cans for about five dollars. Between 3 and 4 of them, you can safely do your entire car.

BobbyG
08-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Adhesive removers work very well!

Once product I've used for over 30 years is DuPont Prep-Sol 3919S. This is a chemical specifically developed for the painting industry for thoroughly cleaning and removing grease, oils, silicones, waxes, sealants and just about anything else prior to automotive refinishing.

While DuPont Prep-Sol 3919S works and works well, I've found another product designed to perform in the same manor, Klean Strip Prep-All. I've been using this for the past 2 years with 100% success and it's half the cost of the DuPont product above...

Klean Strip Prep-All - Available in gallons, quarts, and spray cans....:props:

truckbutt
08-15-2012, 01:38 PM
Adhesive removers work very well!

Once product I've used for over 30 years is DuPont Prep-Sol 3919S. This is a chemical specifically developed for the painting industry for thoroughly cleaning and removing grease, oils, silicones, waxes, sealants and just about anything else prior to automotive refinishing.

While DuPont Prep-Sol 3919S works and works well, I've found another product designed to perform in the same manor, Klean Strip Prep-All. I've been using this for the past 2 years with 100% success and it's half the cost of the DuPont product above...

Klean Strip Prep-All - Available in gallons, quarts, and spray cans....:props:
:iagree:Klean Strip is a lot easier to find and as Bobby said it's cheaper.

Ohio Detailing
08-18-2012, 11:54 PM
Thanks so much everyone! I'll see if Klean Strip is at Wal-Mart, or Home Depot, or Auto Zone locally? :)