PDA

View Full Version : New life in rubber floot mats

Pages : [1] 2 3

Wayneezy
08-15-2012, 10:28 AM
I am wondering if anyone has some insight on how to clean weather-tech floor mats and rubber all season mats.

I usually pressure wash them and use an APC on them but they still look dull when they dry. I was wondering if you have a product you use to make them look new and shiny.

Obviously tire shine or interior protectant will work but im looking for something that will not make them too slippery.

Thanks for the help and happy detailing.

stibuki
08-15-2012, 11:04 AM
Clean with APC as usual. Not too concentrated as it dries out the rubber further. Then you might want to give Duragloss #251 (8oz) or #253 (19oz) Tire and Mat Dressing with rain repel a shot for an inexpensive solution. Spray it on and let dwell for 5 min and then wipe off excess. Semi dry to the touch after a while and not as greasy as most tire dressings.

ziggo99
08-15-2012, 11:21 AM
For my non Weather Tech mats I use 303 protectant and never had a slippage problem, so I bet you wouldn't either. At work we'll use Meg's Hyper Dressing and no slippage. And I know my dad uses Meg's Natural Shine on his Weather Tech mats and I've never heard him complain about slippage and he's in and out of his truck a lot.

laclede
08-15-2012, 11:22 AM
Weathertech now has a non slippery treatment for their floormats. It is on their website under TechCare Floor Liner and Floor Mat Protector. I bought some when I got the new Weathertech mats for my truck in May and it works well. It will not make them really glossy, instead they will have about the same gloss as when new and will not be slippery. Also doesn't attract dust when dry nor have a strong odor. I'm pleased with it.
I clean the mats with an APC and a brush, rinse, dry, then treat with their TechCare and good to go. I even used it on the footboards of my John Deere garden tractor which are made from a similar material.
The price may seem a bit steep to some but it works well, and you get quite a bit of product (39 oz). After using it the past few months that 39 oz will last quite a while although YMMV.
Just some food for thought.

chris.ganucheau
08-15-2012, 11:35 AM
I was just about to ask the same question, I just received a set of the weathertech digitech floor mats for my car

Bluejay3
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I was just about to ask the same question, I just received a set of the weathertech digitech floor mats for my car

When I picked up my mats at their store last month, they supplied some samples of their cleaning products but I haven't used them yet.

siberianrunner
08-15-2012, 12:41 PM
I use 1Z Einszett Plastic Vinyl Deep Cleaner (http://www.autogeek.net/1z-einzett-plastic-cleaner.html) on my Weather Tech floor mats. It does a great job of cleaning and does not seem to dry out the plastic at all.

stibuki
08-15-2012, 02:21 PM

If you are referring to the DigitalFit liners. DigitalFit liners are made of a different material then the regular WeatherTech mats TPO (ThermoPlastic Olefin). I have had them in 5 cars so far and with regular maintenance they maintain a satin finish. Regular cleaning with a mild APC should do the trick. They do tend to get dull in any spots with frequent scuffing after time but I have found no totally effective way to eliminate this. The regular WeatherTech mats get dried out and dull after time. I would refrain from using to harsh a chemical on then as it will speed up the process of deterioration. I have also had more than a few sets of these mats also so I speak from first hand experience.

Quick tip... Weathertech mats (not the liners) seem to wear out rather quickly at the top of the ribs in high traffic areas. simple fix is to clean well, flip over and run a bead of black silicone into the groves of the high traffic parts of the mat. When the mat wears through the silicon keeps it from completely wearing through. This can be done before or after they wear through as it also forms a pretty tough bond with the mat. I made my first pair last 13 years that way.

jminrod
08-15-2012, 05:50 PM
I had the same as the op. every time I cleaned my mats they would be very dull and never really look clean. I used a steamer and everything just wiped off. NO SCRUBBING it was amazing how easy and how clean they staid.

dwolson2
01-01-2015, 05:27 PM
I know this is an older thread, but anyone else chime in. I have cleaned a few work trucks and have issues getting them back to black and not looking dull.
I am referring to the digital fit liners

Blade
01-01-2015, 05:44 PM
I've had my WeatherTech floor liners (digital fit version) since April 2008 in my van - that's almost 7 years old. Nothing but Optimum Power Clean (1:3 or 1:10 depending on dirt level) and a nylon brush have touched them in all these years, once every month or so. Rinsed off with a hose and air-dried. They always look new and have that satin sheen to them after each wash.

When I remember, I'll take pics after the next wash. Never had the problem of them looking dull, so maybe consistency is the key. Don't let them go too dirty for too long.

allenk4
01-01-2015, 07:04 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141230_11_00_17_Pro.jpg

AFTER

APC (10:1)

Blue Cyclo Brush on PC, Speed 5

Rinse with hose

Spray with Megs Natural Shine Protectant (1:1)

Blow off with exhaust from vacuum, using concentrator nozzle

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141230_13_35_36_Pro.jpg

Machine scrubbing is a huge time saver and the results are better too

I mixed up the mats when taking the photo. Both front mats were equally soiled

expdetailing
01-01-2015, 07:15 PM
1Z has a vinyl and rubber cleaner/protector that is supposed to last awhile. I've never used it though. It's said it will darken plastics/rubber.

dwolson2
01-01-2015, 08:36 PM
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141230_11_00_17_Pro.jpg

AFTER

APC (10:1)

Blue Cyclo Brush on PC, Speed 5

Rinse with hose

Spray with Megs Natural Shine Protectant (1:1)

Blow off with exhaust from vacuum, using concentrator nozzle

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/WP_20141230_13_35_36_Pro.jpg

Machine scrubbing is a huge time saver and the results are better too

I mixed up the mats when taking the photo. Both front mats were equally soiled
I was looking for experience with the digital liners, not the mats. That does look nice though.

1Z has a vinyl and rubber cleaner/protector that is supposed to last awhile. I've never used it though. It's said it will darken plastics/rubber.
hmmm hopefully someone who's used it will chime in

allenk4
01-01-2015, 09:40 PM
I was looking for experience with the digital liners, not the mats. That does look nice though.

hmmm hopefully someone who's used it will chime in

What are the significant differences between the "digital liners" and rubber/plastic floor mats?