PDA

View Full Version : cleaning stuff I missed after washing?

PoorOwner
08-15-2012, 12:14 AM
I tried to give the flat roof of my SUV a good wash a couple times now. But the build up that it received from the parking lot has never completely eradicated
it wasn't until I finished rinsing I find some spots that are bits of bird poop left over about 1mm in size.

So it occurs to me I need to remove them without and suds and foam than just repeatedly washing. I was thinking quick detailer and MF towel and go to town with them.
Or get little pieces of paper towel and soak any spots in QD over then wipe off.

GoldBl4d3
08-15-2012, 01:03 AM
Use a waterless wash from detailers pro series. It has more lubricity than a QD. But a QD works as well. I take a MF, soak the spot in waterless wash, and lay the MF over the spot and gentle wipe in the direction the car goes over the car. Never in circles or left to right. Then I use the other sides of the MF to clean up the spot. If needed I will clay the area real fast and clean that up with a QD. I do not wash the towels, I dont want bird shart in my washer and residues on my other towels.

here is DP Waterless Wash:

DP Waterless Auto Wash lets you wash your vehicle without water! Waterless car wash (http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-auto-wash.html)

AutowerxDetailing
08-15-2012, 01:06 AM
Saturating the bird dropping residue to dampen them is a good plan. You might try spraying some APC directly onto the dirty spots and covering the area with a wet MF and allow to sit for about 10 mins. Then wash normally. Anything that is left over will likely need to be removed with detailing clay. Keep in mind you will want to protect the areas that you clayed with a new layer of wax or sealant.

I keep a little spray bottle of ONR mixed to QD dilution and a few clean MF towels in my cars so I can wipe off bugs and bird droppings immediately as soon as I notice them. That way I don't have to worry about that stuff etching into the paint. You may want to consider carrying a similar "bird-bomb" kit if your vehicle frequently sits outside. :xyxthumbs:

SeaJay's
08-15-2012, 06:21 AM
Saturating the bird dropping residue to dampen them is a good plan. You might try spraying some APC directly onto the dirty spots and covering the area with a wet MF and allow to sit for about 10 mins. Then wash normally. Anything that is left over will likely need to be removed with detailing clay. Keep in mind you will want to protect the areas that you clayed with a new layer of wax or sealant.

I keep a little spray bottle of ONR mixed to QD dilution and a few clean MF towels in my cars so I can wipe off bugs and bird droppings immediately as soon as I notice them. That way I don't have to worry about that stuff etching into the paint. You may want to consider carrying a similar "bird-bomb" kit if your vehicle frequently sits outside. :xyxthumbs:

Just be careful on what type of APC you use. Some can cause etching or chemical burns. Optimum power clean is paint safe when diluted.

You could also use a bug or tar remover like tarminator on a MF. That will make quick work of those spots. Clay will also work. Keeping a quality sealant or wax on there will make cleaning those areas much easier in the future.

TomG
08-15-2012, 06:24 AM
Be careful about what products you keep in your hot or cold car as well. I had some Mothers Detailing spray turn to a white sludge on me. It made the situation worse when I tried a "quick clean" of bird droppings.

PoorOwner
08-15-2012, 12:07 PM
soooo I have to place another order on AG again? :( there is gotta be some over the counter way to to do this?

Also, on a SUV, normally I need a ladder to see what's going on and take actions.

It looks like next time I wash the car I will just go on the roof first and put a dab of wash soap over everything I don't like, wipe off then wash.