PDA

View Full Version : clear coat coming off?

wrx495
08-14-2012, 01:59 PM
hey guys ! so my friend was washing his car and all of a sudden he saw this (click on the link for the picture) https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B5EFw60vmRQRd3hveTVSYmszZTg

he thought it would be the clearcoat coming off but it didn't look like clearcoat was coming off. Feed back please

anyways, what does this look like to you all and could it be removed by using a DA and polish and pads then sealing it? or should he take it to a professional and have it fixed?(how much would it cost?
thanks!

Mike Phillips
08-14-2012, 02:06 PM
I clicked on the link and then needed to sign-in?

Can you just get the URL code for the picture? :dunno:

Or look through the pictures in the link below and let us know if it looks like any of these?

The Clearcoat Failure Photo Gallery Archive (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/19985-clearcoat-failure-photo-gallery-archive.html)

:)

wrx495
08-14-2012, 02:16 PM
I clicked on the link and then needed to sign-in?

Can you just get the URL code for the picture? :dunno:

[/URL]

sorry mike! google doesn't always work with pictures for me.. not sure why but i uploaded it on here and this is what it looks like,

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/photo-42.JPG

Mike Phillips
08-14-2012, 02:50 PM
That looks like surface oxidation and beginning clear coat failure.

It also looks like someone has either machine buffed a section or wiped or hand buffed on a section and that's why there's an arc or half circle appearance to the defects on the panel.

When I can't tell by just the picture, here's a few questions that help to determine the problem.

Is the car a few years old?
Clear coat failure takes time, you don't see it on brand new cars.

Does the car have a history of always being parked outside?
Regardless if you just bought a used car, did the previous owner park it outside most of the time? Or, since you've owned it has it been parked outside a lot?

Is the geographical location of the car also a place of lots of sunshine?
Is the car in Alaska or Arizona?

Are the affected areas also horizontal surfaces?
Most clear coat failure takes place to horizontal surfaces first while the vertical panels remain intact. This is because the horizontal panels take the brunt of the sunshine beating down on them plus all the water exposure as well as exposure to any other type of contaminants in the air/water.

Can you provide answers to any of the above questions?

PoorOwner
08-14-2012, 03:59 PM
Hi Mike, can a roof or hood that is starting to look like that be re-cleared at a paint shop without too much trouble?
Assuming it is separated by gutter or somewhat easy to mask off?

Mike Phillips
08-14-2012, 04:02 PM
Hi Mike, can a roof or hood that is starting to look like that be re-cleared at a paint shop without too much trouble?
Assuming it is separated by gutter or somewhat easy to mask off?

Best thing to do is to go to a couple of shops and ask.

It's possible, not sure you'll get any takers. My guess is it depends upon how bad it is and what the rest of the car looks like.

Stop by some shop and ask for quotes and then post back here what you find out...

wrx495
08-14-2012, 05:34 PM
That looks like surface oxidation and beginning clear coat failure.

It also looks like someone has either machine buffed a section or wiped or hand buffed on a section and that's why there's an arc or half circle appearance to the defects on the panel.

When I can't tell by just the picture, here's a few questions that help to determine the problem.

Clear coat failure takes time, you don't see it on brand new cars.

Regardless if you just bought a used car, did the previous owner park it outside most of the time? Or, since you've owned it has it been parked outside a lot?

Is the car in Alaska or Arizona?

Most clear coat failure takes place to horizontal surfaces first while the vertical panels remain intact. This is because the horizontal panels take the brunt of the sunshine beating down on them plus all the water exposure as well as exposure to any other type of contaminants in the air/water.

Can you provide answers to any of the above questions?

okay mike ill try and answer it best i can having my friend not over here at the moment

the car is 2002 bmw 325xi

-yeah the car does have a history of being parked outside in the direct sunlight right outside the garage of his house.

-yeah we live in California (in the Bay area) where its ALWAYS sunny and sometimes cloudy(in the rainy season)

-yeah they are that is the only area that we saw it at and didn't find it anywhere else!!:xyxthumbs: it's just starting over there

Mike Phillips
08-15-2012, 07:26 AM
okay mike ill try and answer it best i can having my friend not over here at the moment

the car is 2002 bmw 325xi

Strike 1: Assuming that's the original paint it is now 10 years old. According to Dr. David Ghodoussi it has lost most of it's factory supplied UV protection as Dr. Ghodoussi says the UV inhibitors inside the clear layer have a half life of 5 years.

See page 2 of this thread,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

-yeah the car does have a history of being parked outside in the direct sunlight right outside the garage of his house.

Strike 2: Exposure to the sun is a major contributor to clear coat failure, especially over time, see Strike 1.

-yeah we live in California (in the Bay area) where its ALWAYS sunny and sometimes cloudy(in the rainy season)

Strike 3: California gets a lot of sun, not as much up north but still a lot of sun plus you have the ocean/salt/moisture factors and their affect.

-yeah they are that is the only area that we saw it at and didn't find it anywhere else!!it's just starting over there

Strike 4: Horizontal surfaces take the brunt of all attacks to the finish.

Sounds like from your answers and looks like from the picture clear coat failure.

One more factor would be if the car was "well maintained" over the last 10 years or left to fend for itself.

Well-maintained would mean regularly washed with a non-detergent car wash soap and regularly clayed, cleaned and sealed.

Left to fend for itself would include taking it to a car wash, or letting Mother Nature wash it and any other paint care related maintenance only performed sporadically, like the first year it was purchased because the owner had "New Car Excitement" and then after that wore off...

Can't count how many threads have been posted like this over the years, makes me want to paint my truck project using a single stage paint.

wrx495
08-15-2012, 08:44 AM
Strike 1: Assuming that's the original paint it is now 10 years old. According to Dr. David Ghodoussi it has lost most of it's factory supplied UV protection as Dr. Ghodoussi says the UV inhibitors inside the clear layer have a half life of 5 years.

See page 2 of this thread,

Beginning Clearcoat Failure (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/hot-topics-frequently-asked-questions/29197-beginning-clearcoat-failure.html)

Strike 2: Exposure to the sun is a major contributor to clear coat failure, especially over time, see Strike 1.

Strike 3: California gets a lot of sun, not as much up north but still a lot of sun plus you have the ocean/salt/moisture factors and their affect.

Strike 4: Horizontal surfaces take the brunt of all attacks to the finish.

Sounds like from your answers and looks like from the picture clear coat failure.

One more factor would be if the car was "well maintained" over the last 10 years or left to fend for itself.

Well-maintained would mean regularly washed with a non-detergent car wash soap and regularly clayed, cleaned and sealed.

Left to fend for itself would include taking it to a car wash, or letting Mother Nature wash it and any other paint care related maintenance only performed sporadically, like the first year it was purchased because the owner had "New Car Excitement" and then after that wore off...

Can't count how many threads have been posted like this over the years, makes me want to paint my truck project using a single stage paint.

thank you very much mike! i'll be sending this information to him! though, when i get my car pretty soon (i am 16) i will regularly maintain my car! :dblthumb2:

Mike Phillips
08-15-2012, 09:05 AM
when i get my car pretty soon (i am 16) i will regularly maintain my car! :dblthumb2:

Good idea, it's more cost effective to maintain your car plus requires a lot less work and time versus letting it go until it's almost to the point of no return.

What kind of car do you want to get?

:xyxthumbs:

darkangelism
08-15-2012, 09:08 AM
Would switching to a coating from a sealant/wax at 5 years be a good idea to re-up the UV protection?

Mike Phillips
08-15-2012, 09:35 AM
Would switching to a coating from a sealant/wax at 5 years be a good idea to re-up the UV protection?

There is documented testing by Ford that shows the UV inhibitors used in OCW migrate into the paint. I have not heard of this for other products. See page 2 and my comments in the below thread.

wrx495
08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Good idea, it's more cost effective to maintain your car plus requires a lot less work and time versus letting it go until it's almost to the point of no return.

What kind of car do you want to get?

:xyxthumbs:
yeah it will look great and keep that new look in the long run! and i want to get a subaru wrx (base model) or a honda accord coupe 4 cyl or v6! :props: 2 of my favorite cars!