PDA

View Full Version : How to get this baked crud off my...

Pages : [1] 2 3

klumzypinoy
04-10-2007, 06:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/klumzypinoy/Detailing/IMG_0613.jpg

How can I get this crud off my wheels? I just used DP wheel gel cleaner but I guess the crud is just mad baked on. I let the wheel cleaner dwell and tried brushing it off. Some came off but that's the rest after trying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/klumzypinoy/Detailing/IMG_0610.jpg

It's in between all those spokes BOOOOO
This is the before pic. If you look on the bottom right of the wheel, you can see the letters that are in the above pic.

joe.p
04-10-2007, 06:45 PM
use a safe wheel cleaner with a good wheel brush i'm gonna warn you know the task maybe somewhat painstaking but it can be done..The break dust looks to be baked on the wheels, so if and when you do remove it be prepared to see some etching from the baked on brake dust..

klumzypinoy
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
use a safe wheel cleaner with a good wheel brush i'm gonna warn you know the task maybe somewhat painstaking but it can be done..The break dust looks to be baked on the wheels, so if and when you do remove it be prepared to see some etching from the baked on brake dust..

I had a feeling someone was gonna say it's gonna be quite a task :p. I didn't have time today to work on it so.....hopefully I'll have time someday. I'm not really worried about the brake dust etching...my car overall isn't in good condition. I spotted some rust spots on the paint :( but they're small. I do try to keep it as good as it can be though.

budman3
04-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Some strong wheel cleaner and a stiff brush (toothbrush?).... PB Spray and Rinse at full strength may do the trick

scottgt
04-10-2007, 07:50 PM
ya just keep working on it....takes a while

joe.p
04-10-2007, 07:54 PM
I had a feeling someone was gonna say it's gonna be quite a task :p. I didn't have time today to work on it so.....hopefully I'll have time someday. I'm not really worried about the brake dust etching...my car overall isn't in good condition. I spotted some rust spots on the paint :( but they're small. I do try to keep it as good as it can be though.
by no means was my comment meant to discourage you, but i went thru the same exact thing on my pita buick rims i ended using multiple cleaners ,brushes including a tooth brush and a brush attatched to my dewalt drill,it can be done don't give up

klumzypinoy
04-10-2007, 07:58 PM
by no means was my comment meant to discourage you, but i went thru the same exact thing on my pita buick rims i ended using multiple cleaners ,brushes including a tooth brush and a brush attatched to my dewalt drill,it can be done don't give up

Don't worry I wasn't discouraged :). Well hopefully I'll have time to clean them well someday.

Gary Sword
04-10-2007, 08:21 PM
If the wheels are clear coated I would try Klasse AIO on them. If they are not clear coated I would try P21s Polishing Soap.

supercharged
04-10-2007, 08:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/klumzypinoy/Detailing/IMG_0613.jpg

How can I get this crud off my wheels? I just used DP wheel gel cleaner but I guess the crud is just mad baked on. I let the wheel cleaner dwell and tried brushing it off. Some came off but that's the rest after trying.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v682/klumzypinoy/Detailing/IMG_0610.jpg

It's in between all those spokes BOOOOO
This is the before pic. If you look on the bottom right of the wheel, you can see the letters that are in the above pic.
Try Poorboy's Wheel cleaner. be sure to follow per label directions.

sparkie
04-10-2007, 09:40 PM
Toothbrush and DP gel cleaner. If that don't get it, AIO with the toothbrush.

Black Diamond
04-10-2007, 10:01 PM
Have a steamer? It helps break up the brake crud! Really it helps to loosen it up. I have one of the cheap "Euro Pros" that I use. It was < $100. Works well for this kind of stuff.

Nuke33
04-10-2007, 10:12 PM
Could you use MEG wheel brightner or will it hurt them?

klumzypinoy
04-11-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone :D. I don't know if I could use Meg's wheel brightener. How can I check if it's clear coated or not?

FloridaNative
04-11-2007, 12:07 AM
I use Bon Ami and a very soft cloth. I just wet the tip of the cloth and dip it in the Bon Ami to get some powder on the end and rub it with my finger to make it come off. Works for me. :)

klumzypinoy
04-11-2007, 12:10 AM
Never heard of Bon Ami...hmmm google time :D