PDA

View Full Version : Cant get swirls out of paint 00 trans am firehawk

Pages : [1] 2

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 09:56 AM
My brother has a 00 firehawk and i cant seem to make the paint awesome like my 04 red Monte Carlo , same products used . So i need more cut . I've been using an orange pad with the orange pinnacle xmt . I don't know what else to try or use , im a diyer and don't want to buy so many different things and take forever on a car , 8-10 hrs max .

I think the orange is the intermediate. what should i be using , ive heard the 98-02 fbodies have very hard clear coat .

Using a 7424xp ive done about 6 cars now and everything has come out better than this firehawk and cant dissapoint . My brother thinks i have no skills now .

TimmyG
08-14-2012, 11:10 AM
My brother has a 00 firehawk and i cant seem to make the paint awesome like my 04 red Monte Carlo , same products used . So i need more cut . I've been using an orange pad with the orange pinnacle xmt . I don't know what else to try or use , im a diyer and don't want to buy so many different things and take forever on a car , 8-10 hrs max .

I think the orange is the intermediate. what should i be using , ive heard the 98-02 fbodies have very hard clear coat .

Using a 7424xp ive done about 6 cars now and everything has come out better than this firehawk and cant dissapoint . My brother thinks i have no skills now .

What XMT product are you referring to? I can verify, the paint on these f-bodies are extremely hard. I was able to correct mine with the Menzerna/WG line fairly easily. You need to make sure you are working the product slowly with proper technique and cleaning the pads frequently. M105/M205 is another option for you if in fact you do need additional cut. I two stepped my trans am and took well over 10 hours total. I'm somewhat of a perfectionist however.

Mike Phillips
08-14-2012, 11:20 AM
M105/M205 is another option for you if in fact you do need additional cut.

IF the XMT #3 isn't aggressive enough you could try the XMT #4 which is very aggressive or as suggested above get the M105 Ultra Cut Compound.

Then, before buffing out the entire car, dial in your process by doing a Test Spot.

Read this article,

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

And welcome to Autogeek Online!

:welcome:

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 11:26 AM
I was told by someone on another forums that buffs professionally that the #4 pinnacle wasnt that good and to stay away from it . The only thing that worries me about the m105/205 is that i have to watch for drying? But i do need more cut .

StephenK
08-14-2012, 11:53 AM
where you from?

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 11:54 AM
Amsterdam Ny

StephenK
08-14-2012, 11:56 AM
I was told by someone on another forums that buffs professionally that the #4 pinnacle wasnt that good and to stay away from it . The only thing that worries me about the m105/205 is that i have to watch for drying? But i do need more cut .

if he buffs professionally ask him what he has that would work.

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 11:57 AM
he told me 105 205 combo but made me worried when he talked about it drying out and other things . Ive done about 6 cars and ive watched junkman videos and been on here for a while but ive never been shown how to work with it . So im worried that i wont be able to just pick it up and use it .

StephenK
08-14-2012, 12:00 PM
what other polishes and compounds do you have?

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM
i only have the xmt sutff , the number 3 and 1 with the xmt blue wax . i also have collinite i use on my daily driver , thats it .

Setec Astronomy
08-14-2012, 12:02 PM
You can get Meg's Ultimate Compound OTC, that will have a little less cut and a little more work time than 105.

CamaroSS27
08-14-2012, 12:14 PM
As a fellow Fbody owner we have hard clears so m105 would work perfect, check your local autozone/walmart some have been starting to carry m105/m205, they will work amazing.

Ramairetransam
08-14-2012, 12:16 PM
the local advance auto has it , 36.99 for 32oz of 105 and 40.99 for 32oz of 205 . rip off , im gonna order some from here .

TimmyG
08-14-2012, 12:31 PM
When you get the M105, I would highly recommend using the Kevin Brown method of priming the pad. This will cut down on the dusting and ensure even product coverage. While I used a different compound on my WS6 (Menz SIP) I still always use this method when compounding. Also, start with a less aggressive pad if you absolutely have to use the M105.

EDIT: And make sure you take Mike's advice and do a test spot!!

Mike Phillips
08-14-2012, 01:04 PM
Read through this,

How to prime a foam pad when using a DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/35292-how-prime-foam-pad-when-using-da-polisher.html)

Make sure you mark your backing plate, you want to see the pad rotating when you're doing any type of correction work.

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1423/MarkYourBackingPlate01.jpg

Here's a quick video that show how and why to mark your backing plate to see and monitor pad rotation while doing any correction or polishing steps.

:)

How To Check Pad Rotation on a DA Polisher -...