PDA

View Full Version : Organizing vs. Detailing

Pages : [1] 2

D
04-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Where do you guys draw the line between organizing and detailing someones car?

Lets say your going to clean the center console and the person has pens, cd's, tissues, etc. inside the center console. Will you remove everything, clean, then put it all back in? Same goes for the trunk and passenger side compartment.

BILL
04-10-2007, 04:50 PM
Where do you guys draw the line between organizing and detailing someones car?

Lets say your going to clean the center console and the person has pens, cd's, tissues, etc. inside the center console. Will you remove everything, clean, then put it all back in? Same goes for the trunk and passenger side compartment.

I'd clean around them and put back somewhat the same......;) ...

orngez
04-10-2007, 05:00 PM
the general "common courtesy" in detailing is to leave non-trash stuff where you find it if it is in a "storage" place...like a center console/cup holder/etc...if i find pens, coins, or other objects under seats i leave them neatly placed on the center console or I put everything in a zip loc baggie if it is a lot of loose stuff and place it on the passenger seat (i usually like the zip loc baggie method...people are impressed by the extra touch and care)...as far as the trunk I tell people ahead of time it will only be cleaned if there is nothing in it...too many trunks are often dump sites...the only time i detail inside a trunk is if I have the green light to throw everything away...

BILL
04-10-2007, 05:04 PM
the general "common courtesy" in detailing is to leave non-trash stuff where you find it if it is in a "storage" place...like a center console/cup holder/etc...if i find pens, coins, or other objects under seats i leave them neatly placed on the center console or I put everything in a zip loc baggie if it is a lot of loose stuff and place it on the passenger seat (i usually like the zip loc baggie method...people are impressed by the extra touch and care)...as far as the trunk I tell people ahead of time it will only be cleaned if there is nothing in it...too many trunks are often dump sites...the only time i detail inside a trunk is if I have the green light to throw everything away...

I like that ZIP LOCK BAG idea...:)

orngez
04-10-2007, 05:26 PM
I like that ZIP LOCK BAG idea...:)

feel free to use it...i can't stress how much it makes the client feel like "wow he is really looking out for my stuff..."

D
04-10-2007, 05:35 PM
Good idea. I usually put coins in the cup holder or something. I think what Im going to do is talk to the customer and see what they want to do. If they want the center console and trunk cleaned, then they need to remove the stuff thats in there.

ScottB
04-10-2007, 06:01 PM
I dont think a detailer should ever entered a closed, and potentially locked area. That means no glovebox, no center console, and tread lightly with the trunk.

PhaRO
04-10-2007, 06:06 PM
I like to tidy things up but I try not to do too much especially if I'm not being paid. I see things on a daily basis that bug the crap out of me but apparently the customer isn't bothered by them. Years ago I cleaned a conversion van that had a huge place on the dash to store stuff. You could fit a few books into it. It was packed with change that had become fused with soda into a giant mass. One day I couldn't stand it and cleaned it out. It took a while and when I was done I felt better. I soaked the change to clean it off, dried it and put it all back. Not sure how much but I'm guess you could fill a 1gallon zip lock bag. I came back to clean the van a few weeks later and it was once again a blob. Needless to say I never did that again.

Stittville Ed
04-10-2007, 07:09 PM
A little off track but a body shop guy I know would put a clear plastic bag in his shop vacuum. When he was done vacuuming the car he would remove the bag, put a knot in it and leave it on the drivers seat of the car.
The reason for this is that once a person had told him they had some kind of ring that he should have found in the car when he was cleaning it after doing the body repair.
Knowing Dave I think he gave this person some money to keep them happy and started to use the clear plastic bag in the vacuum on the next job

BlackCoupe
04-10-2007, 07:46 PM

Uhh... How much in coin are we talking? ;)

scottgt
04-10-2007, 07:48 PM
if there is a penny or 2 on the ground i suck them up...most of the time on accident....but i dont touche the center console

supercharged
04-10-2007, 09:00 PM
I dont think a detailer should ever entered a closed, and potentially locked area. That means no glovebox, no center console, and tread lightly with the trunk.
:iagree: :iagree: I wouldn't even touch the truck unless customer requests.

D
04-10-2007, 09:04 PM
What about in SUV's where the trunk is just open. You guys do it as long as the customer doesnt have stuff piled up back there correct?

sparkie
04-10-2007, 09:48 PM
I don't do the glove box or the inside of the console. Personal stuff I put in a bag and leave it in the seat when I'm done.

Black Diamond
04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
I just use plastic shoe boxes to put stuff in then put it back where i found it. I never, ever go into glove boxes or ceter consoles. I don't even want to know what "might" be in there.