PDA

View Full Version : Porter 7424XP or Foam cannon--OPINIONS!

Pages : [1] 2

FlawlessMustang
08-13-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm looking for something i'd like for my 4 year anniversary. I was originally looking at getting a foam cannon. Then I thought about getting a Porter cable 7424XP polisher. I know it's like comparing apples to oranges, but I really don't know which i'd like to get. I could use the Foam cannon every time I wash my car, but I would be able to apply AIO, glazes, waxes, etc. with the polisher more efficiently but it would only be used every few months probably. I've never used a polisher before, so i'd have a bit of a learning curve.

Which do you guys like more, and which would you recommend? I have a big feeling it will be the polisher since it has a wide variety of uses, but I figured i'd ask anyways. :o

Also, does the foam cannon really even help with bug guts that are stuck on the front? Mine seem to be etched into the paint although it's washed weekly and many times 2 to 3 times during the week.

Thanks.

Setec Astronomy
08-13-2012, 09:04 PM
About the bug etching, like bird poop, you need to get that stuff off as soon as possible to minimize the chance of etching. You have the calculus right, foam cannon used weekly, polisher used 2-3-4 times a year. The foamer helps you with your wash process to minimize marring (although other ways to skin that cat), while the polisher is going to allow you to correct the marring you (probably) already have.

You have to decide.

Eandras
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
My suggestion would be the Griots 6" polisher. Once you have it you will ask how you got along with out. The foam cannon could be a birthday present.

MTLean
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
My suggestion would be the Griots 6" polisher. Once you have it you will ask how you got along with out. The foam cannon could be a birthday present.

Haha i love the "birthday present" idea! I do not own a foam cannon but just got a PC recently and a DA polisher is my vote :)

Buckskincolt
08-13-2012, 09:29 PM
The foam cannon will be a lot cheaper in the long run. If you get the PC/XP you will be wanting polishes, waxes, sealants, glazes, clay bars, pads, micro fibers, more polishes, waxes and sealants, $$$$$$$$$$. It looks like your car is BLACK? If so you need a polisher. Use the two bucket method to wash and polish that black to a mirror shine! :dblthumb2: just my $.02

+ 1 on the Griots!

grungy
08-13-2012, 09:31 PM

+1 on the GG6. I have used both and the Griots has much better feel and power.

-grungy-

DaveT435
08-13-2012, 09:32 PM
The polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...

h83d
08-14-2012, 12:41 AM
The polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but I wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...

+1

AutowerxDetailing
08-14-2012, 01:23 AM
the polisher...you can wash your car without a foam cannon...but you can't do paint correction and polishing without the polisher...well you can but i wouldn't recommend doing it by hand...

+5000

darkangelism
08-14-2012, 10:11 AM

I agree with polisher first, I have both, and the foam cannon while fun, would not be very useful on a car that still needs a good polishing.

Hoytman
08-14-2012, 10:33 AM

+1

+5000

I agree with polisher first, I have both, and the foam cannon while fun, would not be very useful on a car that still needs a good polishing.

:iagree:

One other thing. The Griot's has has a ton of complaints lately in reliability, and especially power loss, which is why people like it the most anyhow. A lifetime warranty means nothing if it doesn't work correctly and needs sent back all the time. Aside from that the Griot's can be a great unit, perhaps even the best choice, IF you get a good one.

The Porter Cable has the reputation of being the most reliable and the unit with the least amount of power. This power issue (while using 5 1/2 inch pads) can be addressed if you so choose. You can simply move to smaller diameter pads like 3 inch to 4 inch pads. You'll still accomplish polishing much faster than doing it by hand.

Consider this: The smaller the pad used on a dual action the more correcting ability you have.

Over the counter waxes come with a 4 inch pad. Working by hand most people don't even use all of that 4 inch pad when polishing. Put a 4 inch pad on a dual action polisher and you've got all the power you need.

BobbyG
08-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Of the two listed, the logical choice here is the Porter Cable 7424xp polisher.

A polisher brings so much more to detailing than a foam cannon. Let's list a few possibilities to compare the usefulness of each...

Porter Cable 7424xp (http://www.autogeek.net/porter-cable-7424xp.html)

Compounding
Polish
Finish Polish
1-Step all-in-ones
Paint Cleaners
Sealants
Waxes
Glass Cleaning
Glass Polishing
Buffing
Carpet Scrubbing
Damp Sanding

Foam Cannon

Applying Foam

scooterguitar
08-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Polisher for sure.
I just use the old foam master (for hose) and it works good enough with the 2 bucket method.
The PC is truly simple to use. I was nervous when I first used it myself, takes all of maybe 5 minutes to get comfy enough with it to proceed to polishing, etc.
Have fun!

FlawlessMustang
08-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Thanks a lot for the replies everybody. I've definitely decided on a polisher. Now I just have to figure out if I want the Porter or the Griots polisher. It was looking like the Griots until I heard about the reliability issue from above.

swanicyouth
08-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Get the PC. It seems to be the most reliable DA style polished, I've had mine for 6? years and it's still going strong. It may not be the most powerful, but unless your doing this for a living or working on some hacked up cars, it probably has all the power you need.

Another reason I like the PC is the Griots is more powerful. However, that extra power means extra heat. If you new, it may be easy to burn pads with the extra heat. It seems like a common problem these days. No matter which polisher you get, make sure you keep feeling around the spindle assembly to check its not getting too hot. Also, make sure to get multiple pads do you can switch off pads.

A foam cannon is nice, but a polisher can actually improve the finish of your car, while a foam cannon can only maintain it. I agree that a polisher will end up costing a lot more than a cannon. Actually, the cost of the polisher it the least of it. You will also need: 5" backing plate, compound/polish/finishing polish, several pads, something to clean the pads, an extension cord, and a product like Eraser to clean polish residue so you can get a clear view of your finished work.