PDA

View Full Version : Why can't I get my windows clean?

Pages : [1] 2

yoyo1111
08-13-2012, 02:19 PM
For the life of me, I can't get my windows clean. I use Sprayaway glass cleaner. I use a waffle weave towel, then buff it with another waffle weave towel. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong. They never come out clean. I've tried different towels, same results. Any suggestions? Thanks!

-Jorge

AutowerxDetailing
08-13-2012, 02:42 PM
1. Use less product.
2. Work in the shade, out of direct sunlight.
3. Use perfectly clean towels that are only used for cleaning glass.
4. Wipe in different directions on the inside and outside so you know where the streaks are occurring if any are left.

Those are the rules I try to follow when cleaning glass and they always come out perfect. Granted, some of them take a little more effort than others... especially in hotter weather.

GoldBl4d3
08-13-2012, 02:44 PM
What do you mean by not clean? If you mean streaks, then spray a lot and clean the glass, then take the other towel and do 1 tiny spray on the glass and use that to buff off with.

If you mean dirt wise, well, idk.

I also use microfiber towel, not the waffle weave. I have had bad experiences with the waffle weave on my mirrors. Scratches..........

Plus, i kinda prefer using Microfiber towels over the waffle weave towel now.

Klasse Act
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Glass is such a PITA!!

arack
08-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Get a new glass cleaner. Try Stoners or Meguires.

GoldBl4d3
08-13-2012, 02:47 PM
If you want the best glass cleaner. Order diamondites glass cleaner here at autogeek. It is so good.

AutowerxDetailing
08-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Glass is such a PITA!!

+1

My dad swears by using newspapers with the glass cleaner instead of MFs... Anyone else try this?

My Detailing Guys
08-13-2012, 03:07 PM
+1

My dad swears by using newspapers with the glass cleaner instead of MFs... Anyone else try this?

When I was a kids many, many years ago, I was at a friends house and his parents wanted us to help clean the window on the house. His dad handed us glass clean and newspapers, I looked at him like what the @*%$, anyways did what we were told and I remember how well it worked. Maybe I'll start using newspapers to clean customers car's windows and blow their mind!!!:props:

I also have trouble cleaning the window removing all the streaks, so don't feel bad. I've started using the wafer towel, and so far so good. Plus use less product.

Sommy
08-13-2012, 03:17 PM
I struggle with the inside of the front windshield. Even with a new MF, I can't seem to get it right. Are newspapers the trick for inside too?

bsirbu
08-13-2012, 03:25 PM
In my research lab we use acetone to clean glassware after scrubbing with detergent. It always leaves them #### and span. Don't think it'd be the best idea for detailing though because it can oxidize some plastics and vinyls. Also I can only imagine what it would do to window tinting and laminates. :eek:

Mike Phillips
08-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Here's two articles with some tips that work for me...

Mike's Glass Cleaning Tips (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/49998-mike-s-glass-cleaning-tips.html)

Glass Master Pro Glass Cleaner with Janna (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/41312-glass-master-pro-glass-cleaner-janna.html)

If none of the tips in the above two articles work then consider using an abrasive glass polish on both the outside and the inside to completely and thoroughly clean the glass down to a clean base.

:)

rider9195
08-13-2012, 03:31 PM
Nicholas has some good tips above. I don't like using waffle weave towels for window cleaning. I prefer MF towels. Also cleaning glass that is cool and out of the sun makes a difference.

Kevin Cullen
08-14-2012, 06:39 AM
I use a mixture of white vinegar and Orange peel. Mix it in a quart sealer, let it ferment for a couple of weeks and then mix it 1/16 with distilled water. Best stuff I have ever used. Cuts through smoke film and leaves no streaks, doesn't have harsh chemical smell. Don't use it on paint though because it will strip wax.

jfelbab
08-14-2012, 08:23 AM
After cleaning the glass, try a little UQW, a.k.a Synthetic X-press Spray Wax (D156) on a microfiber. This will leave the glass streak free and future dust or film wipes right off with a damp MF. Lightly buff dry with a clean MF and you have the same streak free clean glass again and again. This also eliminates any linting from cheap micrifibers. There is no drag on the MF.

After finding how well D156 works on glass I added a small amount to my Meg's Glass Cleaner Concentrate (D120) mixture and it is a superior product with the D156 in it. D120 was the best glass cleaner I've ever used and this just made it better, IMO. This combo NEVER streaks.

FishyX
08-14-2012, 10:13 AM
After cleaning the glass, try a little UQW, a.k.a Synthetic X-press Spray Wax (D156) on a microfiber. This will leave the glass streak free and future dust or film wipes right off with a damp MF. Lightly buff dry with a clean MF and you have the same streak free clean glass again and again. This also eliminates any linting from cheap micrifibers. There is no drag on the MF.

After finding how well D156 works on glass I added a small amount to my Meg's Glass Cleaner Concentrate (D120) mixture and it is a superior product with the D156 in it. D120 was the best glass cleaner I've ever used and this just made it better, IMO. This combo NEVER streaks.

Makes me wanna try a little DG Aquawax for interior glass.