PDA

View Full Version : Breaking out the good ol' paint burner

chemguy626
08-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I am wanting to give my makita 9227cy rotary buffer another shot. I gave up on it a while back after I burned through the paint on my wife's Acura legend using a foam polishing pad and Evercoat 3 step compound. Im not sure how or why I burned through it but none the less i sold the makita to my brother and bought a PC 7274xp. Obviously this solved the burning through the paint issue. I recently got it back because I do all of his detailing and he didn't need it.

I think I want to give the good ol' paint burner another shot. I was wondering if you guys would be willing to give me some pointers on how to avoid the paint burning as well as some pad suggestions. I am scared of the wool pads so im probably gonna avoid those lol.:xyxthumbs:

Setec Astronomy
08-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Use a small diameter, soft pad, and use low RPM's and low pressure. Avoid high spots (panel creases) etc. and keep the buffer moving.

AutowerxDetailing
08-12-2012, 11:25 PM
Use a lower speed than whatever you were using before and always keep the pad moving. Be careful on edges.

Sent from my LG-VM701 using AG Online

ForceField
08-12-2012, 11:57 PM
Buy 50 cans of 2k clear coat.
Tape off adjacent panels and trim.
Lightly wet sand an entire panel with 2500 or 3000 grit
Spray the panel with the 2k clearcoat in light even strokes. Wear a respirator mask.
Give it about 50 coats waiting 15 minutes between each coat.
Let it dry for a day.
Wet sand again with 3000 grit.
Buff it with Menz SIP or your favorite compound with a wool pad and your rotary.
Clean it, inspect it, polish with a fine polish like Menz 4500 with a soft pad and a DA.
Enjoy your paint now under a massive slab of glass.

Shake fist at car manufacturers that stiff us with a miniscule clearcoat.

Just kidding! :-)

chemguy626
08-13-2012, 11:46 AM
Bump

BillyJack
08-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I've been using a rotary for many, many years and I've burned my share of paint. Probably the best improvement in safety I made in the past few years is using 6 inch pads rather than the big pads we used for years. I do all the other things mentioned, including using slower speeds, caution around edges, keeping the pad flat, taping off problem areas, but smaller pads seem to be the biggest benefit in maintaining the balance between aggressive cutting and safety.
I learned on single-speed 11 pound machines with 8-9 inch wool pads.
In comparison, today's stuff is a breeze to manage.

Bill

SeaJay's
08-13-2012, 03:05 PM
Do yourself a favor and go to the junk yard and get a hood. Test away until you feel confident with the machine. Then take it to a car.

That's the best and cheapest way to learn. Get the hood and buff away..if you burn the paint no worries!.