PDA

View Full Version : Should my prices be comparable to a fixed location?

Pages : [1] 2

ShineTimeDetail
08-12-2012, 09:51 PM
So I've been checking pricing again mainly bc my insurance premium is going to be going up a lot. So I need to see what to do. I have been checking and my prices are lower than most of my competitors fixed and mobile. Were talking $50-75 less.

Most fixed locations are 75-100 bucks more. So even though I'm mobile should our prices be comparable?

Perfections
08-12-2012, 09:56 PM
You're offering a convenience compared to a fixed location, charge for it :)

jhallhall
08-12-2012, 10:02 PM
Both sides can be argued. Charge more for the added convenience or charge less because of low over-head like no rent.

Joe@Superior Shine
08-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Raise all of your prices to $50-$75 more than your competitors!! Then prove to your customers why your worth more!

ShineTimeDetail
08-12-2012, 10:21 PM
Raise all of your prices to $50-$75 more than your competitors!! Then prove to your customers why your worth more!

I like that! Not bc I'd be making more but to show them who's boss lol

Joe@Superior Shine
08-12-2012, 10:26 PM
Mercedes charges more than Chevy and Ferrari more than MBZ ...etc... So take the high ground. It is the only way I know how to make money in this biz. Either that or lower price high volume and we all know how that works out ....

ShineTimeDetail
08-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Mercedes charges more than Chevy and Ferrari more than MBZ ...etc... So take the high ground. It is the only way I know how to make money in this biz. Either that or lower price high volume and we all know how that works out ....

Very good point....I've struggled with trying to keep lower prices but then find myself not wanting to go the extra mile bc I feel like I'm not making the money to do it. I usually do go the extra mile but then I'm pissed bc I spent more time than desired. I guess if you want things done right you need to pay for it.

Buckskincolt
08-12-2012, 10:58 PM
In business I think people get to caught up in what the other guy is doing. You need to build your business on what you do and what you provide. Quality is worth paying for in any business. Look at AG, are they always the cheapest? No but they give great service and do it very well thus have many repeat customers.

I bet some of those brick and mortar stores also have hired help and produce a product at the level of their employees. With you they get you and the same quality every time. I would not make a big jump all at once but you should increase your rates as your costs of business goes up.

ShineTimeDetail
08-13-2012, 06:37 AM
In business I think people get to caught up in what the other guy is doing. You need to build your business on what you do and what you provide. Quality is worth paying for in any business. Look at AG, are they always the cheapest? No but they give great service and do it very well thus have many repeat customers.

I bet some of those brick and mortar stores also have hired help and produce a product at the level of their employees. With you they get you and the same quality every time. I would not make a big jump all at once but you should increase your rates as your costs of business goes up.

I haven't been caught up in the whole making what everyone else is making. I was at a car show this weekend and I was talking to the vendor next to me and he was saying my prices were too low. So I started looking and I am lower than most.

Kevin Cullen
08-13-2012, 08:32 AM
Be competitive with your competition by being the same price. Of you are trying to gain market share by cheaper just remember that there will always be someone out there that will under cut YOUR price. Give quality work and base the price on what the market will allow. By having competitors the market price will be set.
On a off line think of this, that being in co-opitition with each other is more lucrative than being in competition.

Buckskincolt
08-13-2012, 08:58 AM
I haven't been caught up in the whole making what everyone else is making. I was at a car show this weekend and I was talking to the vendor next to me and he was saying my prices were too low. So I started looking and I am lower than most.
I didn't come accross clear. So I'll do it this way.

* don't be the cheapest.
* give a great value for what Youdo not what others do
* don't work for nothing, even if the other guy is. He won't be around long
* market the difference between you and your competition.
* make sure your customers know you appreciate their business.

I don't think a Mobil detailer should be cheaper or more expensive, the consumer is paying for a service so price the service not the location.
:props:

FUNX650
08-13-2012, 09:38 AM
So I've been checking pricing again mainly bc my insurance premium is going to be going up a lot. So I need to see what to do. I have been checking and my prices are lower than most of my competitors fixed and mobile. Were talking $50-75 less.

Most fixed locations are 75-100 bucks more. So even though I'm mobile should our prices be comparable?

I wonder what affect: "raising your prices" will have on your current customers/clients...
Afterall, you've already sold to them: "Yourself"; along with your "prices" for your "detailing-competency".

A $75-$100 worth of higher pricing NOW...
May work on/for any 'new' customers/clients...
(Unless they're friends/acquaintances of your already established customer/client base---referrals.
And vicee, vicey, versa!!)

Any reason you may proffer for your services' price-increase, may be met with a customer's/client's
counter-claim of also having their household's income (discretionary, or otherwise)
reduced by inflationary-increases...such as their own insurance rates being increased, for example.

No harm in trying to execute a:"New Business Plan", I suppose(?)
Just hoping you don't kill-off any customers/clients in doing so.

Perhaps your initial pricing-scale for detailing services:
Was a little low,
from the get-go.

NOTE: For the record...The above is an: IMO posting.

But, as you well know...I do wish you continued $ucce$$ in growing your Bu$ine$$.
Good Luck!

:)

Bob

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
08-13-2012, 10:11 AM
My approach (not necessarily the best):

I did some market research when I first started to get an idea of what was being billed in my area. I simply used that as a loose reference point. After that I started thinking about what I am worth....

In the end, I priced myself higher than brick and mortar locations (I started off mobile) due to the fact that I felt I was worth it and I didn't want to deal with low ballers..

darkangelism
08-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I wonder what affect: "raising your prices" will have on your current customers/clients...
Afterall, you've already sold to them: "Yourself"; along with your "prices" for your "detailing-competency".

He could also charge more for new customers and the existing ones that are at the location that is requiring the extra insurance, but not raise prices for his other customers, maybe even let them know they are getting a discount over his current rate.

D.R.
08-13-2012, 11:20 AM
I'm not a business owner, but my opinion is that if you're fully booked, you should raise your rates (you didn't say if you're as busy as you'd like). Keep raising them until you're not fully booked, then find more customers who will pay your rate, then raise your rate again. If you want to give loyalty discounts, charity discounts, group discounts, proximity discounts, purple car discounts, then go ahead.