PDA

View Full Version : Are Leather products safe on vinyl

Ap2
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Hey guy this is my first post i been a member for some weeks now but never posted just lurked around to see what i learnIm the MAN I own a Black on Black Honda S2000 2007...

Like tittle says, I know its going to sound stupid but i just realized that some parts of my interior are not leather like they seem they are...I just need to know if leather products are safe to use on vinyl and would it affect it on the long run?

Note: this is my first car with Lether & vinyl

orngez
04-10-2007, 12:24 PM
i've never had a problem with leather products on vinyl.....

this is "usually" how it breaks down as long as you are using quality products...none of the OTC junk...

Lether products on vinyl = work well but the oils meant for leather usually tend to not absorb in and need to be buffed off...still leaves a great rejuvenated look to the vinyl

Vinyl products on leather = tends to "gloss" the leather rather than give it a "rehydrated" look...often leaves the leather very slippery and doesn't absorb well into the leather...visually it looks good...but you are usually left with a very slippery situation that requires a lot of buffing to turn down the shine and slickness...no harm done if using a quality vinyl product like 303...definitely not to be used on uncoated leather...

sparkie
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
Welcome, some I can think of is 303 or Duragloss #201.
303 Aerospace Protectant (http://www.autogeek.net/303aerprot.html)

Duragloss Vinyl & Leather Dressing (UD) #201 (http://www.autogeek.net/duragloss-vinyl---leather-dressing.html)

I like both.

supercharged
04-10-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey guy this is my first post i been a member for some weeks now but never posted just lurked around to see what i learnIm the MAN I own a Black on Black Honda S2000 2007...

Like tittle says, I know its going to sound stupid but i just realized that some parts of my interior are not leather like they seem they are...I just need to know if leather products are safe to use on vinyl and would it affect it on the long run?

Note: this is my first car with Lether & vinyl
Yes, most leather products (at least ones sold here at AG) are safe to use on vinyl. But I wouldn't use products that are designed to be used on vynil only to be used on leather.
303 protectant is one of the best protectants for leather, vinyl, rubber, and tires. I would also recommend to get some good leather conditioner for leather, like Wolfgang, or Pinnacle. Good luck.

Ap2
04-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I actually use dp protectan on interior(dashboard & half of the door) and 303 on exterior and lexol cleaner/conditioner for leather but since i thought all my interior was leather i was scared that i would ruin the vinyl how can you tell whats vinyl and leather? i want to use the specific product for the job but im confuse on whats leather and whats vinyl

orngez
04-10-2007, 04:45 PM
basically anything other than your seats in the s2k is vinyl...i have detailed quite a few s2k's and 303 or other vinyl conditioners go an everything other than the seats and the armrest...(i believe there are some variations from different years)..the best rule of thumb is most auto makers use the same leather throughout the interior as the seats for "accent" pieces...anything that looks like the same material as your seats is leather...the most i see is leather as an armrest and filling in the middle part of the doors...

ScottB
04-10-2007, 06:03 PM
most products are formulated to work well on both. Heck, some cars still only come with pleather or lastic interiors anyways.

Ap2
04-13-2007, 03:05 AM
most products are formulated to work well on both. Heck, some cars still only come with pleather or lastic interiors anyways.

And what product would that be sir!:D

orngez
04-13-2007, 10:46 AM
And what product would that be sir!:D

303 works on both...and really any leather product will work on vinyl...usually the leather cleaner/conditioner aio's work better on vinyl than just a leather conditioner...

Ap2
04-13-2007, 01:04 PM
thank you Mr Orngez