PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Zymol?

Pages : [1] 2

ComradeGrumbles
08-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I was at my local auto shop today and noticed that a brand called Zymol popped up. I've honestly never heard of the brand, so I decided to give them a try. I purchased their "Spray Glaze" and it seems to work well. Nothing incredible, but not bad either. I would buy it again.

After googling them, I noticed they have a LOT of waxes. Some of them actually look really nice... but I'm not sure sure about them. What's everyone's opinion on them? Is it worth giving one of their paste waxes a try?

I normally use either P21s 100% or Pinnacle's SSII on my Red Jeep. P21s 100 is by far my favorite... I also really liked Dodo Juice's Orange Crush when I got a sample size a while back. That gives you an idea of the waxes I tend to use.

Thanks!

Myles

hoyt66
08-12-2012, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you have some really good waxes in your stable. I have used a Zymol cleaner wax prior to finding AG. It's actually pretty good stuff. I know Zymol have a broad range of

waxes. I would imagine its all good. One thing I have learned here is as long as your prep is tight you could darn near spit on it and get good results!

mhphoto
08-12-2012, 05:53 PM
Well, while I used to be a Zymöl fanatic, I've since gotten a better grasp of their (wax) products. So considering the Turtle Wax-produced Cleaner Wax that bears their name to the silly number of super-expensive, brand-specific waxes (that all have the same carnauba content…), I can't say I foresee myself buying anymore of their waxes.

But I've never tried their Spray Glaze, so I can't comment on it.

ComradeGrumbles
08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
True, it's all in the prep. Although I can't say that I've tried waxing with spit! Might as well try the old "Spit Shine" method. lol

I agree it does seem odd that most of their expensive waxes are fundamentally the same. I must say though that I really like their choice of tubs for the wax! =D

As far as the Spray Glaze, it's hard to place in relation to other sprays I've used. It doesn't leave an outstanding finish, but it's certainly better than other OTC sprays I've used. The appearance is about in line with Meguiar's basic Quick Detailer and, surprisingly, BlackFire's Wet Diamond quick detailer.

When you're actually working the spray in, it seems very similar to Pinnacle's Crystal Mist with respect to how it works across the paint.

I'll have to see how it holds up in the rain, and how well it beads. It seems like it's a product somewhere between a Spray Detailer and a Spray Wax.

CHALM
08-12-2012, 06:07 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that the Zymol brand that is OTC is owned/manufactured by Turtle Wax. The other higher-end waxes and such are still owned and produced by Zymol. Like I said.....that's something I have heard and am not 100% sure if that is the case.

I have used many of their waxes (Concours, Titanium, Carbon, Japon, etc....) By no means am I a diehard Zymol fan. I've had the luxury of using them in the past, and it didn't cost me anything to do so. I'm sure there are other waxes that cost a lot less, and provide better protection (especially for the $$$$)

Hammondc
08-12-2012, 06:20 PM
Decent enough, but I think it is spendy vs other waxes available today. Zymol Carbon was my gateway wax though.

swanicyouth
08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
Zymol has some excellent waxes. Some are thousands of dollars, but I love Glasur which is about a hundred. It's really a great carnuba, much softer and oilier than a lot of waxes - offering a unique experience. I don't see how you can call there waxes expensive, as they have a product in most price points.

Google reviews of Glasur and see what others say.

umi000
08-12-2012, 08:07 PM
Zymol has some excellent waxes. Some are thousands of dollars, but I love Glasur which is about a hundred. It's really a great carnuba, much softer and oilier than a lot of waxes - offering a unique experience. I don't see how you can call there waxes expensive, as they have a product in most price points.

Google reviews of Glasur and see what others say.

Agree on both points - Glasur is very nice to use, and reasonably durable, too; and it's almost the same price as Souveran, which a lot of people recommend over here.

kmsdetailing
08-12-2012, 08:34 PM
I've had very good results with Japon, Creme and Carbon but before you use them, you need to use their other product called HD Cleanse priot to waxing otherwise the Zymol Wax will not bond very well.

I have no use for their OTC products.

ZYMOL HD-CLEANSE 8.5 oz (http://www.zymol.com/zymolhd-cleanse85oz.aspx)

umi000
08-12-2012, 11:27 PM
I've had very good results with Japon, Creme and Carbon but before you use them, you need to use their other product called HD Cleanse priot to waxing otherwise the Zymol Wax will not bond very well.

I have no use for their OTC products.

ZYMOL HD-CLEANSE 8.5 oz (http://www.zymol.com/zymolhd-cleanse85oz.aspx)

I know that Zymol recommends that you use HD Cleanse prior to using their waxes, but it's really not needed.

TANTO
08-13-2012, 01:24 AM
There is so little difference in their high end models that their best value IMO is TITANIUM, it's their sleeper "SUV" wax, very long lasting with outstanding clarity. Japon smells good but only lasts one hot day. Don't get anything below Titanium. Zymols unique feature it's its smells. Most of them smell fing FANTASTIC. It has an extremely high fruity emoliet/oil content which means if you are using a polish that leaves the surface dry as some of the best do, you do not need to use a oil filler stage. That can be really nice. The HD cleanse is pretty decent if you want to polish by hand, but of course i don't. Zymol of course hypes their high end products and so overall their stuff IS overpriced. But a tub of Titanium for your sunday car will last you years. You do not put in on by hand as Zymol say is required. Just cheery pick this good product and probably forget their other products. I haven't tried any of the turwax line. IMO if you see it in a store, you don't want it. Except their car wash. I"ve used it for almost twenty years and i will continue. Titanium performance i would rate with P21S which is easier to use. These are both top waxs IMO and you should try both. I haven't tried Pinnacle yet. Buy yourself a black door at the junkyard and prove out your system!

kmsdetailing
08-13-2012, 06:00 AM
I know that Zymol recommends that you use HD Cleanse prior to using their waxes, but it's really not needed.

I'll try it out next time with out the Cleanse. The other thing I LOVE about Zymol is how easy it is to apply and remove. Smells nice also.

I'm looking foward to trying Fusion and Pinnacle waxes.

ComradeGrumbles
08-13-2012, 08:29 PM
It seems like there might be something to Zymol. So long as the price is right. Their "Red" "Color Correcting" wax caught my attention. Although I doubt any wax can actually improve the color of a vehicle which is already well maintained.

swanicyouth
08-13-2012, 09:27 PM
Skip the color correcting wax. That may be OK for single stage paint, but the vehicle would look much better with corrected paint and a regular wax. Remember, the defects are in the clear coat, not in the colored base coat ( assuming we are talking about a clear coated car). If your truly interested in Zymol get Titanium or Glasur. They are "estate glazes". The cheaper products are "waxes" and are entry level products.

Auto Geek also sells some great waxes just as good (some better) than Zymol. P21S 100%, Fuzion, and Dodo Juice are all very high quality waxes. Fuzion is a wax / polymer hybrid that is ridiculously easy to apply and remove and looks excellent on metallics.

P21S 100% is an awesome wax for silver or grey and leaves them glowing if the surface is prepped correctly. Dodo Purple Haze Pro is another sealant / wax hybrid that looks very glossy on black and dark colors.

The great thing about buying waxes from AG is they often have sales and you can save 20% with free shipping if you wait for a sale. On a $175 tub of Fuzion, that's $35.00. It's hard to find Zymol products on sale, however I believe Zymol themselves have an excellent once yearly sale.

The thin is, the Zymol Estate Glazes are a little different than other waxes. They are the consistency of mush or a bowl of instant oatmeal. If you wanted, you can stick your finger in the jar, through the wax, right to the bottom of the jar with almost no force.

They wax is very soft and you have to be careful to apply it very very thin. It applies wet and oily, but of applied thick, it can be hard to remove. There is a small learning curve to it.

A "wax" like Fuzion is much harder in the tub. However when you swipe it, it almost liquifies on the car surface. Fuzion is very easy to wipe off no matter what.

If your looking for something different, I'd probably start with a wax Auto Geek sells. Also, if you have any questions about it, someone here can help you. Zymol is kind of a dirty word around here since its not sold by the host of the forum. Hope this helps.

mhphoto
08-13-2012, 11:24 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have heard that the Zymol brand that is OTC is owned/manufactured by Turtle Wax. The other higher-end waxes and such are still owned and produced by Zymol. Like I said.....that's something I have heard and am not 100% sure if that is the case.

I think that's just the Zymöl Cleaner Wax you can pick up and Walmart. Might be wrong though.