PDA

View Full Version : New bie looking for some opinions

Pages : [1] 2

TCB
04-10-2007, 08:09 AM
Hello all, I am obviously new to this forum and to detailing as well so I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on this "package" of products I have in my shopping cart.

To give you a little background I am like many who thought dish soap and good old turtle wax 1-2 times a year by hand was all you needed. I currently have a dark blue mustang that probably wasn't routinely detailed so it has the normal swirls and spider web lines. It is now garage kept although is my daily driver.

I wanted to put together a package of various products I can use to restore the lusture of my dark blue paint and keep it looking nice. I doubt it has ever seen a clay bard. I have found a good deal on the PC 7424 already so now I need the pads and products. I was hoping I could get some opinions on what I was looking at.

NTS7 Auto Shampoo
Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay
Optimum Polish
Poorboys EX-P Pure Sealant
Poorboys Natty Paste Wax Blue
Dual Action Hook & Loop 5" Flexible backing plate
Dual Action Pads: Oragne (1), White (2), Blue (1)

Thanks!

nick19
04-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Hello all, I am obviously new to this forum and to detailing as well so I wanted to see if I could get some opinions on this "package" of products I have in my shopping cart.

To give you a little background I am like many who thought dish soap and good old turtle wax 1-2 times a year by hand was all you needed. I currently have a dark blue mustang that probably wasn't routinely detailed so it has the normal swirls and spider web lines. It is now garage kept although is my daily driver.

I wanted to put together a package of various products I can use to restore the lusture of my dark blue paint and keep it looking nice. I doubt it has ever seen a clay bard. I have found a good deal on the PC 7424 already so now I need the pads and products. I was hoping I could get some opinions on what I was looking at.

NTS7 Auto Shampoo
Optimum Polish

Thanks!

It's ALL a personal preference really..

I will approve everything you have in your cart, and I will also give you my opinion on a few things.

1. Pick up a grit guard or two

2. Get some MF's, maybe one for drying, or you can use your leaf blower, like I do.

3. Have you considered the EDGE 2k pad kit for $100? Includes pads, adapater and pad conditioner and cleaner.

4. 4* UPP makes a great sealant

5. Pinnacle clay in sale, and a good buy

Many will add their input, but I will say you have good products in your cart now. It really takes time to find what works for you, because what works for me, might not work for you, or give you the looks you're looking for. I usually don't express my opinion very much on posts like this, because it can go soo many different ways.

Check out the below links, if you haven't already.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/4984-new-users-pc-7424-users-must-read.html

Porter Cable Polishers & Buffers - Porter Cable 7424 and polishing pads (http://www.autogeek.net/pocapobu.html) (two videos)

Good luck, and welcome! :cheers:

-Nick

TCB
04-10-2007, 08:56 AM
Sorry I don't know all the acronyms yet, what is 4* UPP?

Also I gave some serious consideration on the Pinnacle Clay but after reading a bunch of threads it seemed as though the Pinnacle is better for those cars who get clayed on a regular basis. I was thinking to get a more "hardy" clay since it probably has never been clayed before. Am I a little offbase in that assumption?

I think some of the products I have in the cart come with a MF or two so I should be set there. I will also go look for a grit guard.

Thanks for the links. Looks like I have my lunch time reading all setup for me.

Nica
04-10-2007, 08:57 AM
First of all welcome TCB, and dang Nick pretty much covered what you were asking...good job Nick.

One thing I'll comment on are the pads, I own the LC pads and the Edge 2000 pads and they are both great pads. I lean more on the Edge pads because they are very easy to use and are quick to replace and flip. The LC pads are good to, it's easy just to remove one and slap on another but the advantage with the Edge over the LC is the centering. Not a big deal because once you get good at it I'm sure centering the pads is not an issue but that's just my input.

Hope this helps and welcome to AG.

nick19
04-10-2007, 08:59 AM
Sorry I don't know all the acronyms yet, what is 4* UPP?

Also I gave some serious consideration on the Pinnacle Clay but after reading a bunch of threads it seemed as though the Pinnacle is better for those cars who get clayed on a regular basis. I was thinking to get a more "hardy" clay since it probably has never been clayed before. Am I a little offbase in that assumption?

I think some of the products I have in the cart come with a MF or two so I should be set there. I will also go look for a grit guard.

Thanks for the links. Looks like I have my lunch time reading all setup for me.

4* Ultimate Paint Protection.

Four Star Ultimate Paint Protection delivers a high gloss shine in an easy-to-apply, liquid paint sealant. The synthetic polymer-based sealant offers (http://www.autogeek.net/four-star-paint-protection.html)

Grit Guard.

Grit Guard is the maker of car washing solutions that protect your vehicle while improving its appearance. (http://www.autogeek.net/grit-guard.html)

Meg's is a good clay as well.. but Pinnacle clay is a step up.

JSR
04-10-2007, 09:13 AM

NTS7 Auto Shampoo
Optimum Polish

Thanks!

Assuming you are just doing your car I would suggest:
LC Pads are excellent, you might want 2 oranges, 1 grey, 1 blue. I have found no real use for the white ones. The oranges are the workhorse and the grey/blue ones are for finishing.
Sounds like you will need a compound. Once you have the OP check the sample trade thread here and see if you can trade for a sample of Optimum Compound. A couple ounces is all you need for the first real workover to remove the swirls.
OTC Stoners IG for the glass
Finally make sure you get something decent for washing and drying the car. A MF BONE or mitt (Schmitt) and a medium Guzzler are a good investment for keeping your car slick. Anything else is excess until your OCD develops further. You will develop a passion for good MF towels and QDs but not needed at first.
Welcome to the asylum and enjoy

AUdakota
04-10-2007, 09:25 AM
I will second the need for a good wash/dry system. I originally used some sheepswool mitt that I got at walmart, but I have since ordered a shmitt and it is far superior. As for drying at home I use our leaf blower bc it so easy but when im away at school I use two of the medium guzzlers and they dry my truck pretty easily....

I think you will find that you might also want a compound, but you could wait and see what the OP does for you.

TCB
04-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Yeah just looking to do my car (and probably my wifes minivan after she sees mine).

Now isn't a compound for more damaged paint? My car is a 02 and while I am not the first owner it really isn't in that bad of shape except for some areas where the previous owner tried to use touch up paint to cover a scrath.

After reading Nica's input I am now leaning towards the Edge pads but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the LC, comes out to nearly twice the price. Perhaps that is a good item to put on my future want list. Is centering the LC really tricky?

Thanks again for all the input.

TCB
04-10-2007, 11:00 AM
This might be a silly question but can I used Cobra MF detailing towels to dry my car? With the various packages I am looking at buying I will have several detailing towels. Rather than buying a $17 guzzler can I use those detailing towles that come with my kits?

While I am not looking to be cheap I also don't want to waste money where I don't have to.

Thanks

nick19
04-10-2007, 11:22 AM
Yeah just looking to do my car (and probably my wifes minivan after she sees mine).

Now isn't a compound for more damaged paint? My car is a 02 and while I am not the first owner it really isn't in that bad of shape except for some areas where the previous owner tried to use touch up paint to cover a scrath.

After reading Nica's input I am now leaning towards the Edge pads but they seem to be quite a bit more expensive than the LC, comes out to nearly twice the price. Perhaps that is a good item to put on my future want list. Is centering the LC really tricky?

Thanks again for all the input.

I use the EDGE pads and love them... worth every bit.

nick19
04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
This might be a silly question but can I used Cobra MF detailing towels to dry my car? With the various packages I am looking at buying I will have several detailing towels. Rather than buying a $17 guzzler can I use those detailing towles that come with my kits?

While I am not looking to be cheap I also don't want to waste money where I don't have to.

Thanks

You can pick up waffle weave towels at Wal-Mart and your local parts store pretty cheap.

budman3
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
1- The reason why the Edge pads are 2x the cost is because you get 2 pads in one. You'll need to buy an adaptor to use them but with the LC pads you'd need to buy a backing plate... so either way you'll be spending the same amount. I use LC 7.5" pads and have no complaints. The LC pads you have to put the pad on a backing plate and if it isn't centered the PC will wabble and vibrate a lot. It is possible to get pads centered and it really isn't that hard.

2- Buy polishing pads. Using a cutting pad you create the chance of marring the paint which could be difficult to remove. I have about 8-10 polishing pads compared to 3 light cut pads.

3- Buy a lot of MF towels. Just like pads you'll want to use a different one for each product you use. As for drying, get some type of Waffle Weave towel... the $17 guzzler will be great, but others will work- ie Meguiar's Water Magnet, etc.

4. If you can, take a picture of your car. This way we'll be able to make a guess on what type of polishes you'll need to get the paint in great condition. From what your saying, the car sounds nice but I'm sure there is a lot of room for improvement. So I'm not going to mention a specific polish until I get a picture or better explanation of swirls, scratches, etc.

5. If your car has metal flake, EX-P will make the flake look great. It is a clear sealant which compliments metal flake. Topping with Natty's Blue on your blue car is the way to go. UPP does look good but durability is a little iffy.

6. Read and search on detailing sites. This way you can get a good understanding on how to use your new products and how to keep your car looking good- ie proper washing techniques.

Hope this helps...

01SVTvert
04-10-2007, 03:16 PM
By getting one of the "kits" and using the free shippping on orders over $75 you can get your best bang for the buck. If price is a deciding factor, find how much you want to spend and then find what products suit your needs.

The decision on which product line for the swirl remover and wax maybe should be made first as then you could find a prepackaged kit that fits your need.

New to this too and reading a ton helps with the decision

D
04-10-2007, 03:22 PM
Id def get some type of kit, XMT Porter Cable 7424 Light Swirl Remover Kit with CCS pads! Free Bonus! (http://autogeek.net/xmtpocaliswr.html)

TCB
04-13-2007, 01:34 PM
Well based off the responses on the board I went ahead and placed my order. Now I can only hope the weather cooperates the first weekend that I get my stuff!

NTS7 Auto Shampoo (w/ Chenniele/MF mitt)
Pinnacle Ultra Poly Clay Special (clay, lubricant, 2 16x16 MF towels)
XMT 360
Poorboy's Natty Paste Wax - Blue
Poorboy's Natural Look dressing
Edge Dual Action 6 inch kit (http://www.autogeek.net/foam-polishing-kit.html)
Edge 2k Drive DA adapter

Can't wait :awesome:

Thanks for all your help