PDA

View Full Version : Spots on dashboard

KlipschRVX
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
Hello all, first post. I just picked up a 2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited, it's got about 900 miles on it now. Just noticed this morning about 6 small dark/shiny spots on the dash above the instrument panel.

I attempted to wipe them off with a foam vinyl cleaner that we use at the dealership that I work at but the spots are still there. The other wierd thing is that the cleaner isn't that harsh but my micofiber towel was turning gray like I was wiping off the factory dash finish.

I don't use anything on my interior, it doesn't get dirty, I just use a swiffer to dust it.

Any ideas? Don't want to keep rubbing on the dash if it's going to wear the factory finish. Any chance these are spot repairs from the factory?

Thanks!

KlipschRVX
08-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Update... I realized what it is but now I need a product recommendation to remove it without damaging the finish on the dashboard. I'm ashamed to say it's actually hamburger grease. I NEVER eat in my car and my wife talked me into the McDonalds drive thru on the way to the beach to save time. The burger "squirted" on the dash and I had thought I had gotten it while driving.

Any advice for a grease cleanup?

Thanks

golliger
08-11-2012, 04:24 PM
Ultima Interior Shampoo Gel is gentle and cleans very well. Maybe hit it first with a microfiber towel dipped in warm to hot water to see if that will lift some of the grease.
Then put the wife in time out for making such a suggestion.

Like your username BTW.

BobbyG
08-11-2012, 06:44 PM
A solution of warm water and Dawn dish liquid should be the perfect combination for removing grease and oils.

Another method is use an all purpose cleaner diluted 5:1 water to product.

Once the surface is dry give it a once over with a protectant line Meguiar's M40....

mwoolfso
08-11-2012, 06:46 PM
I second the warm water and Dawn solution, best way to go without affecting the surface.

KlipschRVX
08-12-2012, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the advice, the dawn didn't cut it though. I didn't use it super strong, do you think I can use it more concentrated or should I begin to worry about it being too harsh. I hope I'm not stuck with these spots, they are driving me crazy.

I don't usually use anything on my dash, I like the mat finish from the factory and up until now never had a reason to use anything other than a swiffer duster at every cleaning. The Meguiars detail spray that you've mentioned, does it leave the dash a dull mat finish or does it make it shiny. I really don't want anything like an armor all look. I was beginning to think that if I can't get rid of the spots I may be able to hide them a little at least.

Thanks in advance, looking forward to spending time picking up tips and pointers throughout the forum.

mwoolfso
08-13-2012, 06:20 AM
Try the dawn wash again, maybe a little hotter solution and use a soft toothbrush to agitate the area. If you want you can add a capful of APC to the mixture. Let it sit for a minute and then remove but don't let it dry (I don't like APC mixtures drying on plastic surfaces). Pictures may help at this point if the spots are still around.

BobbyG
08-13-2012, 06:27 AM
While strong chemicals and cleaners can damage some surfaces, Dawn dish liquid is the liquid of choice to clean wildlife caught in an oil spill.

Dash materials are very durable. Think what they endure on a day to day basis; sun, 160 degree temps, over the counter cleaners...etc...

I would not be afraid to use a full teaspoon in 8 ounces of hot water.

Mix the solution then apply it liberally with a terrycloth towel to the affected area. If this is hamburg grease it should come right off, we're only talking about animal fat here. This should dissolve and come off in a few seconds.

KlipschRVX
04-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Not sure that anyone cares, it's been forever since I started this thread... I finally have found a fix for the grease spots on the dash. I work for a Toyota dealer and spent some time talking to one of the subcontracted interior repair guys. I found out the the dashboard in my Sequoia is painted, there's no color all the way through. I had him really scrub the dash where the grease areas were with a degreaser and then repaint and blend the color. It's been about a week and it looks brand new. No color match issues whatsoever.

I'm not sure that I would trust just anyone to do this kind of work but this guy did an amazing job. No overspray and a perfect color match.

Hopefully this helps someone, there's not much online for this sort of issue.

capnp72
04-24-2013, 08:01 PM
I would definitely find something to protect the dash if it's only painted on the surface. :eek:

BillE
04-25-2013, 07:30 AM
Not sure that anyone cares, it's been forever since I started this thread... I finally have found a fix for the grease spots on the dash. I work for a Toyota dealer and spent some time talking to one of the subcontracted interior repair guys. I found out the the dashboard in my Sequoia is painted, there's no color all the way through. I had him really scrub the dash where the grease areas were with a degreaser and then repaint and blend the color. It's been about a week and it looks brand new. No color match issues whatsoever.

I'm not sure that I would trust just anyone to do this kind of work but this guy did an amazing job. No overspray and a perfect color match.

Hopefully this helps someone, there's not much online for this sort of issue.

Now that is interesting...thanx for posting this.

Bill