PDA

View Full Version : Heard a loud POP the other night.

Pages : [1] 2

tuscarora dave
08-11-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm glad that this happened right out in front of my shop and not somewhere far from home. My shop is located at a very busy intersection about 1/2 mile from home. As I was leaving the the shop the other night, the traffic was horrendous and I was tired and getting irritated at not being able to cross the intersection to get home. I saw a small window of opportunity and I gunned it to cross the intersection and heard a loud POP!!!

At first I thought a bearing cap broke and popped off of a rear universal joint because after the noise, the van started to vibrate something terrible from back in that area. I was so exhausted that I just drove home with a very light foot on the gas pedal, parked the van and went into the house without checking things out.

The next day I drove the car to work and after wrapping up the important work for the day I went to the house and very easily drove the van back up to the shop. It was vibrating so bad that I thought I might have to call on my old boss from the repo company I used to work for and get a tow the rest of the way to the shop. Being as delicate as I could, I limped the van the rest of the way and got it into my shop where I took these photos.

Passenger's side

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/019-21.jpg

Driver's side

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/021-19.jpg

Ouch!!

I walked back home and got online with credit card in hand knowing I was going to spend more than I wanted to at this time.

My plans for this van were to eventually install the steel leaf spring retrofit kit and someday do a small block Chevy engine swap. I wasn't going to all the trouble to do this repair and leave the old fiberglass composite single ply leaf spring in there. Very reluctantly, I ordered up the steel spring retrofit kit and a new set of upper U-Bolt brackets to replace the broken ones.

There's a ton of other work that needs to be done at the shop so I got a good helper to do all of that stuff while I do the retrofit on the leaf springs today. I stopped in yesterday and sprayed a half a can of Liquid Wrench on all of the associated rusty bolts and this morning will do the retrofit.

It kind of sucks that it happened now but at least it will be getting done finally and I can then begin making preparations for a V-8 swap, starting with the purchase of an engine stand and a cherry picker.

Just thought I'd share what I was up to and wave a hand to all of you fine AGO members and moderators.:xyxthumbs:

Have a wonderful weekend!!!

mwoolfso
08-11-2012, 08:26 AM
Isn't life grand! Good luck!

tuscarora dave
08-11-2012, 08:41 AM
Isn't life grand! Good luck!
Why yes....yes it is...

Speaking of Grand.... I saw an awesome live theatrical performance the other night by The Grandmothers of Invention. I'm still revved up from this experience!!! It's all good.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ib9q-SzfXw]The Grandmothers of invention Iridium NYC 5:4:12 Oh NoOrange County Lumber Truck Trouble Everyday - YouTube[/video]

FUNX650
08-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Hi Dave…

-Although I regret this happenstance of yours…

I’m extremely grateful that you, or others, were not involved in
any traffic accident, or incurred any bodily injuries or harm.

You also have displayed your skill-sets and techniques that you feel are required for you
to assess, understand, and cope with any serious situation...
especially from the moment they first occur to the point that recovery procedures start.

You also seem to have established metrics to avoid what I call: "Business Crisis Management"
(i.e.: employment of a ‘Helper’; access to previous employer’s "tools"; etc.)…
and, instead, have reduced this particular crisis to, perhaps, an:
"Incident Management" scenario---a momentary delay.

-Indeed, others, myself included, may well learn from your leadership-examples…IMHO.

Good Luck on this repair, as well as the future upgrades to your van.

:)

Bob

timaishu
08-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I have no idea what I am looking for. I don't know anything about leaf springs. Was it supposed to be attached to that bracket in the first picture?

tuscarora dave
08-11-2012, 03:14 PM
Hi Dave…

-Although I regret this happenstance of yours…

I’m extremely grateful that you, or others, were not involved in
any traffic accident, or incurred any bodily injuries or harm.

You also have displayed your skill-sets and techniques that you feel are required for you
to assess, understand, and cope with any serious situation...
especially from the moment they first occur to the point that recovery procedures start.

You also seem to have established metrics to avoid what I call: "Business Crisis Management"
(i.e.: employment of a ‘Helper’; access to previous employer’s "tools"; etc.)…
and, instead, have reduced this particular crisis to, perhaps, an:
"Incident Management" scenario---a momentary delay.

-Indeed, others, myself included, may well learn from your leadership-examples…IMHO.

Good Luck on this repair, as well as the future upgrades to your van.

:)

Bob

Thanks Bob. Just a little speed bump in the road of the progress of things. Handle it, get it out of the way, and get back to normal operations. I have a very busy week of full paint corrections with Opti-Coat applications, wheelchair van (wheelchair lift) repairs, meetings with new clients etc. Got to get it done this weekend.

It's not always nice paying guys to practice detailing, taking the time to do it slow and thorough assuring them that speed will come with experience, but it's times like this that I am glad that I've been sacrificing those profits because I've found one great helper out of all the guys that I have given a shot at it.

I have no idea what I am looking for. I don't know anything about leaf springs. Was it supposed to be attached to that bracket in the first picture?
Yeah, there is a couple of stamped steel plates called "upper U-bolt brackets that secure the leaf spring to the rear axle tubes. Because of rust, they both broke when I gunned it to cross the intersection. These brackets are illuminated by my flashlight in the photos. It's a real bear of a repair to pull off because all of the rust. I spent the better part of the day getting the rusty bolts out. Had to come home for a rest because with all the late nights I've been pulling lately, I'm just completely exhausted. Tomorrow is another day.

BobbyG
08-11-2012, 03:45 PM
Hey Dave,

When I read the title I assumed the loud pop was something skeletal, as in "your skeleton".....like a knee or something...:eek:

While this could have been much worse I'm glad it wasn't you but also glad you weren't hurt and the damage is repairable....:props:

RMM
08-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Glad it didn't happen at high speed and that you are OK!
Good luck with the repair :dblthumb2:

tuscarora dave
08-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Happy Monday Guys and Gals!!!

I finally got through this repair and am very happy with the ride of the van now. This was a tough job to say the least, with all the rusty bolts (especially the rear leaf spring shackle bolts) it wouldn't have gotten finished without my new air compressor and the air chisel used both as a hammer and at times a chisel to cut through a few old bolts.

I actually had to take a few Ibuprophens last night, Man was I sore!!

Anyway, the van sits higher now that the plastic leaf springs are replaced with steel springs. I cranked up the torsion bars on the front suspension a few turns to level the van out a bit. It rides like a totally different van now with virtually no body roll at all. The body roll was so bad before that the van felt dopey (rocking from side to side) going over some road or driveway surfaces. I think it's ready to handle the V-8 swap now.

Here's a photo of what it looked like before, you can see that the top of the rear tire is somewhat hidden up in the wheel well.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/018-5.jpg

Now, after getting the new springs installed and front end cranked up a bit.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/003-35.jpg

I'm very happy about it. Now to replace the radiator in my Buick is the next project as time and money permits.

Thanks for looking. TD

tuscarora dave
08-13-2012, 07:54 AM
Here's a pic of the van the day I picked it up. It's come a long way since then.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd323/tuscaroradave/009-4.jpg

vet
08-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Glad to hear it wasn't as bad as it could have been (accident/injury). You handled it in good time, and back on the road. Well done, sir!

Paul Mitchell
08-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Nice job Dave. Is this the vehicle you painted under a different post? It looks great.

siberianrunner
08-13-2012, 01:24 PM
Old Frank Zappa fan here, thanks for sharing the video.

JSFM35x
08-13-2012, 01:28 PM
When I read your title, I was afraid you got hurt. Last Pop I heard was my ACL! Getting old sucks, glad it was a replaceable part and sorry for the expense and aggrivation but remember-

What can be fixed can be delt with..........

tuscarora dave
08-14-2012, 07:36 AM
Nice job Dave. Is this the vehicle you painted under a different post? It looks great.
Thanks Paul, it is the same vehicle, here's the thread (Just the hood) http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/32674-repainting-my-van-s-hood.html and the original thread when I first bought it. pics of my $500 GMC Safari van - Autopia Forums - Auto Detailing & Car Care Discussion Forum (http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/off-topic/27683-pics-my-500-gmc-safari-van.html) Nice to hear from you PM!!

Old Frank Zappa fan here, thanks for sharing the video.
I was on lunch break at a coworker's house when I was 17 years old when he popped in the "Sheik Yer Booty" CD, I started buying other Zappa CDs and was hooked. Today I have over 100 Frank Zappa albums. Glad you enjoyed the video. If you ever have the chance to see the Grandmothers, Project Object, Bogus Pomp, the Central Scrutinizer Band, or of course Dweezil Zappa's "Zappa Plays Zappa" show. Don't hesitate!!! They're all worth the price of the trip and admission.

When I read your title, I was afraid you got hurt. Last Pop I heard was my ACL! Getting old sucks, glad it was a replaceable part and sorry for the expense and aggrivation but remember-

What can be fixed can be delt with..........

Hi Jeff, Thank goodness it wasn't that kind of POP!!