PDA

View Full Version : going to clay will I need to prewax too?

Ridebyshootings
08-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Hello all,
after watching the videos and doing the sandwich bag trick im thinking im getting ready to clay my new to me corvette. Will it be nessary to use a prewax after i clay before going onto the next step.
heres my list of items ive got lined up.

clay bar. DP with wolfgang spray lube.
prewax cleaner? dont have any yet if needed. recomendations?
glaze. dont have any yet. recomendations?
sealer. wolfgang 3.0
wax. pinnicle souvern paste.
QD spray. pinnicle crystal mist.

thanks!
Drew

Mike Phillips
08-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Hello all,

after watching the videos and doing the sandwich bag trick im thinking im getting ready to clay my new to me corvette.

Will it be necessary to use a prewax after i clay before going onto the next step.

Yes.

If it's been a while since the paint on your new-to-you Corvette has had any paint care procedures then using either a pre-wax cleaner, (also called a paint cleaner), or even a fine cut polish by hand is a very good idea.

Claying will remove most of anything off the surface and following this with a pre-wax cleaner or fine polish will further remove any oxidation, staining, surface impurities etc and really do a good job of preparing the paint to accept the paint sealant.

Check out this article and look at the foam applicator pads to see the embedded dirt I removed using a paint cleaner.

How to clay, clean and wax paint by hand with Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing Lotion and Pinnacle Signature Series II Carnauba Paste Wax (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25218-how-clay-clean-wax-paint-hand-pinnacle-signature-series-ii.html)

Also, I cover the benefits of using a pre-wax cleaner or paint cleaner in this article,

The benefits of a light paint cleaner, cleansing lotion or pre-wax cleaner (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/28519-benefits-light-paint-cleaner-cleansing-lotion-pre-wax-cleaner.html)

:)

Ridebyshootings
08-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Thank you. Will ad to my order during the sale!

Ridebyshootings
08-11-2012, 04:07 PM
what glaze do you recomend? Im looking at xmt purple glazing and poor boys for dark color cars but im open to others.

Detail-Impressions
08-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I use Poorboy's BlackHole

Ridebyshootings
08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
I use Poorboy's BlackHole

thanks!

rider9195
08-11-2012, 08:20 PM
I like using Chemical Guys EZ Creme Glaze. I will apply it before a sealant with my Porter Cable on a black pad(speed 4). Spread it out on the paint work about two section passes then wipe off with a microfiber towel. I have found it to fill very light swirls and give a sealant look. Great and easy product to use.

Buckskincolt
08-11-2012, 08:24 PM
what glaze do you recomend? Im looking at xmt purple glazing and poor boys for dark color cars but im open to others.

Get some Chemical Guys Black Light! This stuff is great, they really don't call it a glaze. What ever you call it it will make you car look awesome, it's very easy to use and leaves behind some protection too!. I've used PB Black hole and the black light leaves behind a much nicer look IMHO.
Chemical Guys Black Light Hybrid Radiant Finish 16 oz. (http://www.autogeek.net/chemical-guys-black-light-hybrid-radiant-finish.html)