PDA

View Full Version : Detailing business idea

Lstotland
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
I was wondering if anybody has ever tried this-

Over the last few months, word has been getting around where I work that I enjoy detailing. Ive had a few friends/coworkers bring there cars to my house and we spend 3-4 hours detailing. I always ask them to bring the car clean so that we don't have to wash it first. I then show them how to do a 1-step process-

Clay-I show them how to use it, what it does, the Baggie test, etc. and then we each do half the car.

Clean/polish/seal with XMT360 or GPS-I show them the DA, explain why it is different than a rotary or the orbital buffer that they have in there garage. I let the do 1/4 of the hood to get a feel of it and then take over. I use the DA, they buff behind me with a microfiber.

Then we do an ONR wash so they can see the right way to maintain the finish-2 buckets, correct wash media, proper washing technique, guzzler microfiber to dry.

So the question is, can this work as a business model? Teaching people how to properly maintain their vehicles appearance.

I have additional details that I would include but I wanted to keep it simple for this description.

Any input or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

A.P.A.D.
08-10-2012, 11:36 PM
dont skip the first step!!! show them how to wash it first. even if they wash it at their house, they have to drive it to your house after and contaminants will get on the paint. start with the basics first and then move on to claying and polishing.

if they want to pay you, go for it! they should pay u for your products used, your equipment, and your time.

Lstotland
08-11-2012, 08:43 PM
I guess you are right about the wash. Thanks. Anyone else?

drbobbybones
08-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I guess you are right about the wash. Thanks. Anyone else?

I think it would work as an adjunct to a detailing business, but it might be hard to keep getting customers doing just this. Most people are just not as crazy about cars as we are :buffing:

mwoolfso
08-12-2012, 07:02 AM
There is an saying that I heard about 20+ years ago that still rings true today, "If it works. DO IT AGAIN!"

Seems like you have a market opportunity..... something Mike Phillips does for a living in Stuart, FL. :-)

mswerb
08-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Most people don't realize how much time and work is involved in detailing. Having the customer with you is a good idea to let them see what it takes to get their car looking it's best.

bsirbu
08-12-2012, 11:44 AM
Give a man a detail, clean his car for one day. Teach a man to detail, clean his car for a lifetime. :xyxthumbs:

rustytruck
08-12-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know if you can make a business out of it. You do have a good idea. Community colleges are always looking for people to teach non credit general interest type classes. Maybe you could teach this a few times a year to small groups like that.

master detailer
08-12-2012, 03:46 PM
lol are you new thats what they are doing here at ag.