PDA

View Full Version : New guy from LI with Fiats and old coats?

Freedomland
08-10-2012, 09:28 PM
well I'm new here (this is my first post) and I now have 2 Fiat 500s (one Pop I bought in Aug 11 and one Sport I WON in May just got it last friday)
The Pop came with Glasscoat and I can attest that the water has been beading on it all year... very easy to clean off

but the Sport came plain (some kind of spray wax from the dealer I'm sure was put on)
Both cars look (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/#) great... and though they are both light older colors (light green and beige aka Verde Chiaro and Mocha Latte) I want a durable product I can put on the Sport.. and possibly shine up the Pop. Researching has actually made me look a lot more at sealants and polymers than waxes and (I dont want any arguments about these two I've come up with) since I really dont have shade here. and I'm a bit older... I've narrowed to roughly two items which are both a bit older... NuFinish and Liquid Glass. Both have their followings.. and I know other items exist, but again I am looking for durability as #1

(ok here come the floodgates) any thoughts???? (ducking)

FUNX650
08-10-2012, 11:09 PM
Hi Freedomland and...:welcome:...to AGO!

-Nothing terribly 'wrong' with either of the two "older items" you've listed...IMO.

-Reed-Union's NuFinish is what I'll call a pretty good AIO-type product...with some mild abrasives,
and other ingredients/chemicals that act as rust inhibitors and anti-static agents.
Newer formulations are VOC compliant.
Ease of application/removeal? There are other AIO's less demanding, IMO.
As is the case with most waxes/sealants/Coatings: The different environs to which vehicles are exposed;
and, the means one undertakes in maintaing a vehicle's cleanliness...
Would determine if the 'claimed-durabilty' of NuFinish
is substantiated/verifiable, IMO.

-I first used LiquidGlass in 1973 on a 1971 Plymouth Duster. Easy product to use then, and now...That is:
Except for the "baking-in-the-Sun" curing processes---especially when applying additional layers/coats.
LiquidGlass claims that 20-25 layers/coats will put an end to rock chips...
(I've never applied more than two layers/coats...So I can't personally vouch for that.)
Excellent "shine"...Kind of Zaino-ish, IMO.

-Keep in mind: It's all in the prep!!

-Good Luck on using either product...Let us know how it works out for you.

:)

Bob

Freedomland
08-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Hi Freedomland and...:welcome:...to AGO!

-Nothing terribly 'wrong' with either of the two "older items" you've listed...IMO.

-Reed-Union's NuFinish is what I'll call a pretty good AIO-type product...with some mild abrasives,
and other ingredients/chemicals that act as rust inhibitors and anti-static agents.
Newer formulations are VOC compliant.
Ease of application/removeal? There are other AIO's less demanding, IMO.
As is the case with most waxes/sealants/Coatings: The different environs to which vehicles are exposed;
and, the means one undertakes in maintaing a vehicle's cleanliness...
Would determine if the 'claimed-durabilty' of NuFinish
is substantiated/verifiable, IMO.

-I first used LiquidGlass in 1973 on a 1971 Plymouth Duster. Easy product to use then, and now...That is:
Except for the "baking-in-the-Sun" curing processes---especially when applying additional layers/coats.
LiquidGlass claims that 20-25 layers/coats will put an end to rock chips...
(I've never applied more than two layers/coats...So I can't personally vouch for that.)
Excellent "shine"...Kind of Zaino-ish, IMO.

-Keep in mind: It's all in the prep!!

-Good Luck on using either product...Let us know how it works out for you.

:)

Bob

well said (btw my name is Rob Friedman,, the forum name is that of an old amusement park from the bronx in the 60's)

I know that both have a huge following.. but I did as much research as the net allows and also thought about funds and time.. Im the kind if I wash or polish my car (by hand)once a year.. that's a big deal. sorry I'm not into showing, but one clip in youtube and a message on amazon caught my eye for LG. Oh I also found that a very small bottle of glasscoat is around $180 if not more. Oh and the PFT we all saw on youtube for GC was intriguing (I noticed one person mentioned PTFE referring to Teflon.. as opposed to the Simoniz PFt which was Product Failure Test.. which actually failed to get the product to fail!!) Monday afternoon I will be calling LG (they are on vacation this week) but I found out the head chemist there buys other products to test them! found that interesting.. actually bought nufinish along with blue masking tape for the vinyl/rubber parts but I will probably return it since LG actually has a hell of deal on their " total appearance kit" price is $37 with shipping!!
I cant find fault with that!

oh a funny side bit on the WON car and why I now have the time but not the funds.. I won it 2 weeks after getting let go from a company in nyc I was at for 28 years.

I looked at chem guys, and clearkote (anything labeled moose I like), zaino (seems a nice product but also seems a lot of work) and some newer items that are running around $65 to over $100. Other tell me just use Mothers or Megs 'nuba wax and that's it for the year. Again.. I am looking for protection on the 'free' car more than shine. and others still say they go back to LG (I really dont listen to Consumers Report usually find them wayyyy off)

anyway thanks for the feedback... lets see what happens next

Rob F

Freedomland
08-12-2012, 09:12 PM
just wondering if anyone else had any comments on LG? or what is out there now.. similar price... lasts longer.. and as easy.

oh also.. any opinions on putting LG over Glasscoat??

Freedomland
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
Oh I talked to the inventor of LG and it can be put on over Glasscoat. As well as put on in the sun. seems I cant wait to try this on the cars

D_Nyholm
08-14-2012, 08:36 PM
What about something like opti coat so you do not have to worry about the keeping up with quarterly or semi annual waxing? There are plenty of people on long island that can apply it for you.

Freedomland
08-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Honestly cost. plus something about the silicate vs the resin... in my book glass is always harder than gum. I've research almost all the products out there... this is what I decided.. hopefully I'll have it on the cars this weekend. (if the damn weather holds up) oh per a suggestion by Dr John, I used a few drop from a sample they sent me on my Android cell phone... shiny and even slicker than before... and I only let it haze for about 10 minutes

Freedomland
08-14-2012, 09:41 PM
I post this in the Introduce yourself section.. but really it belongs here.. so I am re-posting this:

I've decided on LG due to the price deal and the reviews I keep reading.. but I notice some people (including myself) said it was a polymer.. well turns out we are wrong.. as are comments that they changed hands, and the formula is old. (Dr. John R. Heywang, owner and creator of all the LG formulas, told me he's had to update it 5 times)
also here is an explanation of exactly what it is:

>>>>
Per your request, here are the facts about Liquid Glass.

Contrary to public belief,Liquid Glass Polish/Finish IS NOT a polymer.It 's main ingredient is an Aliphatic Hydrocarbon. We like to say that it is made up from the same element found in diamonds;CARBON.It is completely unique in the world today in that as a Carbon based liquid IT LOVES HEAT.Heat is what destroys all other wax (grease) based products made in the world today.Even adding a polymer to the grease does not give it stability against the harsh effects of the level of heat found in Arizona,Nevada,and the combination of extreme humidity and heat in Florida..THIS HEAT MAKES THE WAX PRODUCTS EVAPORATE AND POLYMERIZE LEAVING BEHIND THE CARRIER AGENTS which are removed using the Liquid Glass PRE-CLEANER.

Liquid Glass LOVES heat.The hotter it gets,the harder the Liquid Glass bakes.And the harder it bakes the shinier it gets.

There is also the effect that waxes all have cleaner agents in them.Unbeknownst to the consumer,each coating that is applied REMOVES the coating that was applied before it.So in essence there is never more than one coating of wax (grease) on the surface of the vehicle.

Liquid Glass can be built up in microscopic coatings. The more coatings applied and baked,the more resilient to the elements the finish becomes.After 25 coating s of Liquid Glass,a stone chip resistency can be achieved as has been reported to us by many of our customers in many parts of the world.

I hope this clarifies for you why our many hundreds of thousands of thrilled ardent customers in over 75 countries call Liquid Glass "The Holy Grail of Appearance Chemical Technology" and the finest that intelligence,money,and The Endless Pursuit of Perfection can produce.After all,I invented Liquid Glass for my own 1964 Corvette Convertible and if YOU were going to create a liquid coating for your own PRIZED POSSESSION,would you knowingly invent garbage? Of course not.And neither did I.

Thank you for the opportunity to clarify these points for you.I trust you will send this out far and wide throughout the country so one and all get clarification.

Sincerely,
Dr. John R. Heywang
Chief Scientist
Liquid Glass Enterprises,Inc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He told me today that he has 9 cars currently.. including 2 Ferrari's , 2 Camaro's, 2 Cadillac's, and that red Corvette that is on the can (and some others) seems to be a hell of a car enthusiast and until about 2 years ago he kept buying other products to compare them against his... hey he's proud of what he made. I will let you know how it all goes since I ordered the kit

Rob

oh btw if no one believes me I can give you the LG phone number (their website went down..(I know about that.. happened to me a few years ago.. didnt get it back up for 16 months))

oh one other little bit I found out. A few people are saying it's the same product that first came out 25 yrs ago.. Actually Dr John told me he's updated the product 5 times in the years. (so this should technically be Liquid Glass v5)