PDA

View Full Version : How long to work compound? Halos on XLR have me befuddled

Pages : [1] 2

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I am still working on getting these halos out of this XLR I am working on, and I have tried the KBM method with M105/ Burgunday Soft Buff pad, M205/Polishing pad and it seems no matter what combination I am still ending up with fine halos.

The major swirl defects are gone. I Have primed the pads with compound, running at a speed of about 4-5 on the G110, doing about 4-6 passes for about a 2 x 2 area and am moving quite slowly, maybe takes 8-10 secs to do one pass. Should I work the area longer? I am adding just a bit more pressure on top of the weight of the polisher.

Should the compound on the paint still be wet when you wipe it off? I am using a clean microfiber for each section I work on to make sure the MF isn't adding them.

Something with my technique has to be wrong. Maybe I will have my wife film me working a section and I will post it for critique and tips

kemefk
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM
If the M205 with the Meguiars polishing pad is causing fine swirls, maybe you should try changing the pad to the Meguiars Finishing pad and see if that solves your problem.

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 02:45 PM
If the M205 with the Meguiars polishing pad is causing fine swirls, maybe you should try changing the pad to the Meguiars Finishing pad and see if that solves your problem.

Tried that also :( I may just setup the tripod with the camera and record it myself

Madkatz
08-10-2012, 02:46 PM
only 8 to 10 seconds to do one pass? isn't that a bit fast? try working it longer it maybe break down the abrasives better

but you mentioned you're using 105 and 205 hmm one of their main selling points is that you don't need to break them down you can stop when you are happy with the level of correction as i recall Mr. Mike Pennington mention before

also curious about others answers

kemefk
08-10-2012, 02:50 PM
I agree with Madkatz. Try working the polish slowly and work it until the polish goes clear. That might help. If that doesn't work, then maybe the paint is soft on the XLR in which you might have to polish using 3M ultrafina or Menzerna SF 4500.

rider9195
08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
M105 has a very limited work time, it could be possible that you dry buffed some.

kemefk
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
M105 has a very limited work time, it could be possible that you dry buffed some.

If dry buffing with M105 caused the halos or micro-marring, shouldn't M205 be able to clean that up?

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 03:19 PM

I think that may be part of the issue, I was outside and it was cloudy and 70 with a good breeze but when I would wipe off the compound it was hazed over like dried wax or sealant.

Should I work even a smaller area then and make sure the compound stays wet when I wipe it off?

kemefk
08-10-2012, 03:21 PM
I think that may be part of the issue, I was outside and it was cloudy and 70 with a good breeze but when I would wipe off the compound it was hazed over like dried wax or sealant.

Should I work even a smaller area then and make sure the compound stays wet when I wipe it off?

When I use M105, I give it a spritz of water to increase the buffing cycle. You could try that.

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 03:23 PM
When I use M105, I give it a spritz of water to increase the buffing cycle. You could try that.

Reading the doc that Kevin Brown of the KBM method wrote up recommends against using anything like that as it can cause clumping and uneven particles for the polishing.

kemefk
08-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Reading the doc that Kevin Brown of the KBM method wrote up recommends against using anything like that as it can cause clumping and uneven particles for the polishing.

If you look at the following link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/24303-kevin-brown-method-few-other-things-explained.html

If you look at Item number 3, it says you can in fact spray a mist of water. If I am wrong, someone please correct me, though.

mbkite
08-10-2012, 03:31 PM
105 on a compound pad orange
105 on a polishing pad
105 on a finishing pad
105 the whole way..........

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 04:07 PM
If you look at the following link: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/tricks-tips-techniques/24303-kevin-brown-method-few-other-things-explained.html

If you look at Item number 3, it says you can in fact spray a mist of water. If I am wrong, someone please correct me, though.

Great info, thanks man!

Grifftech
08-10-2012, 05:09 PM
Well just tried it again, went with a white LC CCS pad and M105 and worked a much smaller section, slower and adjusted my pressure and then the compound I wiped off was not dry this time and voila!!! Halos gone!!!! I will venture a guess and say the hood of this XLR is about 95%+ corrected outside of some RIDS, deeper scratches and chips. My wife even said "HOLY S%$T!!, that is like it was just painted" So tomorrow will be a marathon day to get the exterior finally done. Thanks EVERYONE for help and tips, couldn't have done it with out you!! If I can correct this paint I now have the confidence to move forward!

swanicyouth
08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Thats odd, most of the time you dont have this problem with a DA polisher, correct? I would try a different polish/pad combo. Maybe a diminishing abrasive finishing polish, like Wolfgang FG or one of the lighter polishes fron Menzerna with a white or grey LC CCS pad. That's what worked for me on my black BMW. In fact, the Wolfgang TSR finished so well on an orange CCS pad, I didnt really need the finishing glaze. Wolfgang only really has 2 polishes, and for me they were idiot proof. Unless there is something about my paint that makes it easy to polish.

Compound or polish should be "wet", (well sort of) - it should look "clear" or translucent. I'm not too familar with Meg's polishes, actually I stayed away from them because I read they have some learning curve to them. Are you working someplace really hot and the polish/compound is drying up too fast? Something that may work (if that is the case) instead of adding a spritz of distilled water to the pad, I give the pad a spray or two of detailing spray before I prime the pad.

When I first started polishing, someone here gave me that tip. As the problem I was having is the fresh pad was marring. That solved the problem.

Some other things you may want to try is to make sure your pads and surface are surgically clean. Is the 205 causing the halos or not removing them from the 105? If it's the later problem, you may need to put more pressure down on the machine than "just a bit". If your doing six section passes do 3 or 4 with 15-20lbs of pressure, than lighten up on the remaining passes.

But, I would try another pad/polish combo first. Good luck!