PDA

View Full Version : Opti Coat (OC) or Opti Guard )OG) Revenation

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Old Tiger
08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
A few posters have noted that OC seems to be losing its incredible capabilities like Superman in a Kryptonite mine! I figured they misapplied it until I faced it myself!

Background:
My son and I coated his 2010 Yaris in May 2011. It survived a NY State winter and returned to SC this February as good as it left! He went to Lake Charles, LA in May and returned first week of August.
The car looked OK but the paint felt like 1000 grit sand paper! We washed with CG Citrus Red, 1 oz per gal. Paint looked OK but didnt bead at all, Appeared OG had vanished!

We figured it was Iron X time. Wee applied liberally on this compact car., panel by panel. The car began bleeding purple like I have never before seen with Iron X! I WILL TRY TO POST PICTURES. my driveway was a sea of purple foam and water! Iron X has never been so dramatic before for me.
I think that the OG didnt allow the refinery pollutants to penetrate it and embed in the clear, Maybe Dr. G. or someone can chime in with a better theory! When we rinsed the Iron X off, water beaded again! We then used a Clay Bar Replacement (CBR) to clay the car. The finish and OG were back!
We had never refreshed Og before so we broke out the machines and OPtimum Polish II. This polish finishes so well that we didnt bother with Finish Polish! We have the newer OG which is layerable, so we transferred 7 ml from the OG syringe to a 2.5 oz. finger pump mister bottle, We used the new OC Pro applicator. I liked it and will continue using these. I gripped it too hard and eventually tore the pad into two discs! I think this was more user error than manufacturer flaw!
With the new layer property of Oc/OG, I apply 7 ml to small or mid size cars. I apply a second coat to the horizontal panels with what is left over after finishing the first coat. I have had great results doing this. I do the second coat 15 to 20 minutes after the first coat.

I dont think we needed to apply OG but we did anyway. It is ironic that one of CarPro's finest products restored one of Optimum's best products!
Anyway, before you assume OC/OG is gone, try Iron X (BTW we used 500 ml(!

Twister
08-10-2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks for posting Jim! With all the posts about OC failure I was wondering what might have caused it.

SonOfOC
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
You are saying that in a year OC held onto enough pollutants that the finish did not bead water and OC seemed to be gone?

Iron X, CBR, Optimum PII, and a reapplication of OC was done.

I would be pretty suprise if that happened to me. I only OC about 10 cars a year and hope that does not happen to me.

rwright
08-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Subscribed.

swanicyouth
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Glad you figured it our.

Old Tiger
08-10-2012, 12:45 PM
Thanks for posting Jim! With all the posts about OC failure I was wondering what might have caused it.
Thanks! I am not sure about my theory but I am sure I didnt HAVE to reapply.

Old Tiger
08-10-2012, 12:49 PM
You are saying that in a year OC held onto enough pollutants that the finish did not bead water and OC seemed to be gone?

Iron X, CBR, Optimum PII, and a reapplication of OC was done.

I would be pretty suprise if that happened to me. I only OC about 10 cars a year and hope that does not happen to me.
If you lived near refinerys, you wouldnt be surprised at all! The point was that IX rejuvenated the OG. BTW sorry I misspelled rejuvenate in the title!

Old Tiger
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Subscribed.

Glad you figured it our.
Thanks guys!

Old Tiger
08-11-2012, 11:05 AM
Was hoping to hear from Optimum, but nothing yet!

weekendwarrior
08-11-2012, 11:30 AM
If it felt like sand paper, and the Iron X showed lots of purple, I wonder if the "grit" from road driving, and pollutants, "stick" into the OC itself which makes no beading occur (dirt is coating the opti-coating). Interesting that it returned once the grit/grime was properly cleaned off.

rdf
08-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Very interesting. Sounds like the OC is maybe holding on to more contaminants than clear coat? ... but the good news is, it's on the OC and not your clear. It'd be interesting to know if topping the OC with a wax or something would have lessened the contaminant buildup.

I know it may not be a good situation for a pro detailer, but I'm just a schmoe trying to get/keep my DD looking as good as possible for hopefully a Long time. OC for protection, like a second sacrificial layer of clear, and having to do maintenance on it, would work fine for me.

Hoytman
08-11-2012, 01:44 PM
Subscribed.

+1

KillaCam
08-11-2012, 02:13 PM
This is interesting.

SeaJay's
08-11-2012, 05:13 PM
I had this happen with my daily driver. Just like your clear the opti-coat will hold onto some contaminates and they can embed themselves into it. Just like they do your clear. So, an occasional clay and Iron-x (or similar product) will help benefit the coating. This has been my experience with it so far. When I have a customer come back to me for a yearly detail I'll go through my normal decontamination process.

BobbyG
08-11-2012, 06:26 PM
Hey Jim,

Interesting story and I'm glad you opted to try IronX just to see what it might bring to the game. I would have loved to see the photos of the IronX doing what it does best....:props:

My guess is Optimum is probably working on a product similar to IronX now....

Do you know what his wash regiment was? I'm wondering how long between washes the car might have accumulated particulates?

Tremendous information Jim! :props: