PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning wheel barrels W/O removing wheels?

Spiney
08-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Is it possible to clean the barrels of a 5 spoke chrome wheel without removing the wheels? I know the right way is to remove them and really clean them up, but with my back removing, cleaning, and putting back 4 wheels is quite a chore. Thanks in advance, Spiney-Dave

T0RCH3D
08-09-2012, 10:00 PM
It's possible but the quality won't nearly be the same. If you lived closer I'd come help ya make her look all pretty for the show Sunday! I spent 11 hours cleaning mine and man they turned out unbelievably good! I even put a coat of 845 on there and it's made cleaning a breeze so far!

DaveT435
08-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Is it possible to clean the barrels of a 5 spoke chrome wheel without removing the wheels? I know the right way is to remove them and really clean them up, but with my back removing, cleaning, and putting back 4 wheels is quite a chore. Thanks in advance, Spiney-Dave
I would think if you used a bendable wheel brush so you can get the back of teh spokes and right behind the spokes. Lug nut cleaner should get teh lugs and holes clean...11 or 16 inch wheel brush to get the rest of the barrel. I think the bendable wheel brush I'm talking about would be long enough to get the inside lip on the wheel too.

Drunken Yak inc
08-09-2012, 10:11 PM
I have some success with a GG Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and a bendable wheel brush... The worst part is the inability to dry the barrel properly, so water spots are inevitable.

oldmodman
08-10-2012, 03:33 AM
I have a four post lift. And even when I have a car up on it I still can't reach the entire barrel.
Sometimes I still can't reach between the wheel and the caliper and it's bracketry.

Ridebyshootings
08-10-2012, 04:45 AM
maybe this would help? EZ Detail Motorcycle Brush a safe, no scratch wash tool for your bike or vehicle. (http://www.autogeek.net/ezbrush.html)
ive used it on motorcycles and my corvette too.

Infinitiman
08-10-2012, 07:29 PM
It's possible but the quality won't nearly be the same.

Bingo

Once you do a thorough cleaning by removing the tire you should coat with Opticoat them then you will not have to remove them that often. And as another poster mentioned ( can't remember username) the EZ motorcycle brush or the Daytona brush is the best brushes for cleaning those areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rsurfer
08-10-2012, 07:59 PM
Take it around the block to dry the wheels.
I have some success with a GG Boar's Hair Wheel Brush and a bendable wheel brush... The worst part is the inability to dry the barrel properly, so water spots are inevitable.

timaishu
08-10-2012, 08:14 PM
A daytona style brush. Patience. And a lot of APC.

If it take awhile to get through the initial bulk of brake dust. But once you get it all cleaned up, it will be a piece of cake for now on.

Takes me only about a minute to clean my barrels now. I clean them every wash.

ScottB
08-10-2012, 09:28 PM
Daytona Wheel Brushes come in two sizes and perfect for most barrels. You wont notice much of a difference if you take you time and clean well versus removing each wheel.

Rsurfer
08-10-2012, 09:46 PM
If you take the time to pull your wheels and seal it with Opti Coat or GTechniq C5, future cleaning will be a breeze
Daytona Wheel Brushes come in two sizes and perfect for most barrels. You wont notice much of a difference if you take you time and clean well versus removing each wheel.

bmwgalore
08-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Not removing the wheel will get you sloppy results... But I guess for some people that's okay.

You only have to remove it once and seal or Opti-Coat it, only then you will get great results without removing the wheel... As other have said, it will be easier later on.