PDA

View Full Version : Some advice for My Mercedes Ceramic clearcoat

ddyer43
08-09-2012, 09:32 PM
I have an 08 Benz with the ceramic clear coat. It is silver and has some micro swirls. I bought it used so the paint hasn't exactly been keep pristine its whole life, but it still looks good. I also have the glass panorama roof option so the whole top is black.

I'm about to order some detailing supplies from Auto Geek and I am just hoping to get some advice.

I want use sealant as I like long term protection and protection from UVs.

Here's my list,

Bug and tar removal
wash
clay bar
Klasse all in one
Klasse Sealant
wolf gang detailer spritz

About Klasse all-in-one, does this "cut" into the clearcoat at all? I have read that once you cut into a ceramic clearcoat, by polishing, it is never the same after. If this product is abrasive and takes away just a little tiny layer of clear coat, I don't want to use. I'd rather just use the Sealant and call it a day. I also don't know if the klasse all-in-one would be effect on ceramic clear coat as it is so much harder.

About the detailer spritz, originally I was planning on putting carnauba wax over the sealant, but have recently found the detailer spritz may be better. What do you think is better to put over the klasse sealant, the spritz or some sort of carnauba wax?

for my headlights, can I use Klasse all in one? Klasse sealant or both?

What do you recommend for my windows? using both the klasse all in one and the sealant? Is it okay to use on the windows?

Lastly, about the black plastic trim, there isn't much of it on the car, should I just put some klasse sealant over it and call it a day? Or is it worth to buy a trim restorer? how long does the trim restorer last?

thanks for your help!

embolism
08-09-2012, 09:52 PM
The Klasse twins have been around for a long time and work very well. Don't worry about KAIO, it is a very effective chemical cleaner but even with a white pad, it didn't remove some marring I had on soft paint.

The KAIO preps the surface very well for KSG but it needs to be put on thin. Think windex evaporating from a window as you see it flash. Do a test run on your trunk lid only so you don't have issues removing it. If you can see it after you put it on, you've put it on too thick.

You can put them both on your headlights but I'd only put KAIO on the windows.

KSG has a candy coated look to it. It's good for light colours but for darker colours you might want to top it with a wax after it cures.

NYCLR3
08-10-2012, 08:26 AM
Search the forum, Mike Phillips covered the ceramiclear question before. I have had good success with the Menzerna line on my 11 MB. I used SF4500 and Powerlock and the car comes out really well. As for a spritz, the Chemical Guys V7 can be used on basically everything including glass and trim and is a good all around QD. There are quite a few trim restorers and protectors, not sure how Klasse will be on the trim, but I might avoid that.