PDA

View Full Version : clay before clear bra...

PoorOwner
08-09-2012, 06:56 PM
I plan to use CG blue clay and CG luber to go over the area to remove rust specks and contamination before bringing it in for clear bra install.

I know the clear bra place also do the clay as part of the prep but maybe if I do a good job myself first it will help?

So I don't plan to polish it..
The film installer doesn't either, they just clay and install. So it wouldn't make too much sense for me to polish it.

Does that sound OK, I hope the blue bar is not too aggressive. for example I have a purple one that will possibly remove anything but it definitely scratches the paint because it's like a piece of rock.

rider9195
08-09-2012, 07:31 PM
I use the CG Blue Clay a lot. It is listed as a fine clay bar and I have never had any problems with it inflicting any damage into the paint as long as you use enough clay lube.

Why don't you plan to polish the area? Is it a brand new car with no swirls?

PoorOwner
08-09-2012, 07:57 PM
I am scared of messing up something if I polish, its a new car there are some very minor scratches. In the past I have always went straight to clear bra. It's a white car and it's very difficult to see the scratches..

I may go over with a porter cable DA with white pad and Menz final polish, what do you think?

rider9195
08-09-2012, 08:16 PM
You have an advantage of it being a white car. Because as you mentioned it is hard to see the defects because of the light color.

If you were to do any polishing I would just use a black pad with the Menzerna on speed 4. Or if you have a non abrasive paint cleaner that would work as well without removing clear coat.

PoorOwner
08-09-2012, 08:55 PM
I meant to ask too: what do you do if the blue / OTC white clay bars can't seem to pick up a speck of rust or whatever you encounter?