PDA

View Full Version : Post count importance ?

Pages : [1] 2 3

A-train
08-09-2012, 02:45 PM
Just a thought - How much do you weigh a members post count when they give advice or answer a question or do you base it off of the quality of the post they have had?

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Mike Phillips
08-09-2012, 02:54 PM
Just a thought - How much do you weigh a members post count when they give advice or answer a question or do you base it off of the quality of the post they have had?

Post count tells you a person has been an active member for sure. What really matters is the quality of the actual content in their posts.

Helpfulness and friendliness is always a nice thing too...

Just my opinion...

:)

A-train
08-09-2012, 02:55 PM
Well said Mike!

HotRodJoe
08-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Are you really going to believe that from a guy with only 27k posts? :D

CEE DOG
08-09-2012, 03:11 PM

I'm not!!! :laughing: Bump that count up a bit more so we can trust you Mike! Rofl

2old2change
08-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I also look for what the poster is saying and what they have posted no matter what the length of membership to the forum may be.

A-train
08-09-2012, 03:20 PM

Lol

WeLendMoney
08-09-2012, 03:28 PM
On most forums I look at the count and the information that is being posted. Some people love to talk to be heard sometimes...

drbobbybones
08-09-2012, 03:54 PM
I think you can tell pretty immediately what type of poster someone is. I tend to listen to the people who have the most insightful things to say, but I do admit that I look at that post count. It's like that last scene in "Boogie Nights"--come on, you looked too.

davidc11291
08-09-2012, 05:06 PM
The most important thing IMO is the quality of what they've posted in the past. I look at the length of time someone's been a member more than the post count. Post count is a measure of how much they talk. It's not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. IMO, if someone's been on the forum for 2 years, there's a good chance that even if they were a total newbie when they started, they've probably learned a lot from being on the forum for 2 years and their advice is probably good.

That being said, there's plenty of members who are brand new, but have been detailing the right way for years and really know what they're talking about. It's just hard to tell until they've built up a decent post history that you can read and confirm that they know what they're talking about.

Several times I've started a thread to ask a question and been really surprised to get an answer from someone who's been a member for 3 years and has a post count of 25. Either they abandoned the forum for a long time and recently came back, or they've spent the past 3 years reading and soaking up knowledge.

Finally, no matter what someone has done online, it doesn't mean anything if they haven't been spending a lot of time in the garage doing the work.

flyinion
08-09-2012, 05:07 PM
I think it's also good to look at the join date if someone has a low post count. They may not post much, but if they've been around a while they may have soaked up a ton of good info and just leak some out once in a while :)

edit: LOL davidc11291 I think we had a telepathic connection going on.

rider9195
08-09-2012, 05:49 PM
The most important thing IMO is the quality of what they've posted in the past. I look at the length of time someone's been a member more than the post count. Post count is a measure of how much they talk. It's not necessarily a good thing or a bad thing. IMO, if someone's been on the forum for 2 years, there's a good chance that even if they were a total newbie when they started, they've probably learned a lot from being on the forum for 2 years and their advice is probably good.

That being said, there's plenty of members who are brand new, but have been detailing the right way for years and really know what they're talking about. It's just hard to tell until they've built up a decent post history that you can read and confirm that they know what they're talking about.

Several times I've started a thread to ask a question and been really surprised to get an answer from someone who's been a member for 3 years and has a post count of 25. Either they abandoned the forum for a long time and recently came back, or they've spent the past 3 years reading and soaking up knowledge.

Finally, no matter what someone has done online, it doesn't mean anything if they haven't been spending a lot of time in the garage doing the work.

:iagree:

I see that when some people introduce themselves, they mention they have been at least been washing and waxing their vehicle for the past couple years. And that applies to me. I have only been a member on here for a little over a year. But have been caring for cars for two years before that.

WRAPT C5Z06
08-09-2012, 06:13 PM
I have a fairly high post count. However, there's plenty of members on this board that have less posts, but have better skills and knowledge than me. I'm not knocking myself as I feel I know a sufficient amount, but I still have a lot to learn. Moral of the story, don't rely on post count for accuracy of answers.

davidc11291
08-09-2012, 06:21 PM
edit: LOL davidc11291 I think we had a telepathic connection going on.

I don't think so. I don't have a home telephone line anymore, just cell phone.

ROFL..... Yes, I just laughed at my own joke.

BobbyG
08-09-2012, 06:38 PM
I think the consistency, quality, and content of the post gives the reader a comfort level with a member and their skill level...