PDA

View Full Version : Grit Guard floating in bucket?

kemefk
08-09-2012, 10:35 AM
So I purchased a Grit Guard from AG a while back and i got a 5 Gallon bucket from Lowes that i can use for 2BM wash. The Grit Guard goes in perfectly at the bottom but when I fill it with water, the grit guards floats up. I am just wondering, is it suppose to do that or not? If not, should I be buying another bucket or is there a problem with the grit guard? Thanks.

builthatch
08-09-2012, 10:39 AM
So I purchased a Grit Guard from AG a while back and i got a 5 Gallon bucket from Lowes that i can use for 2BM wash. The Grit Guard goes in perfectly at the bottom but when I fill it with water, the grit guards floats up. I am just wondering, is it suppose to do that or not? If not, should I be buying another bucket or is there a problem with the grit guard? Thanks.

i have two buckets and two grit guards. one is some weird brand that i've had for several years, the other is the actual branded grit guard. one bucket holds one tight, the other doesn't.

neither ever float.

kemefk
08-09-2012, 10:44 AM
A few days ago, I tried putting the grit guard in another bucket that I got from Pepboys. the grit guard fits in that tightly but doesn't go all the way to the bottom. From watching Mike's videos, it seems like for the grit guard to work effectively, it has to be all to way to the bottom. I need some advice.

nyyfan
08-09-2012, 11:18 AM
A few days ago, I tried putting the grit guard in another bucket that I got from Pepboys. the grit guard fits in that tightly but doesn't go all the way to the bottom. From watching Mike's videos, it seems like for the grit guard to work effectively, it has to be all to way to the bottom. I need some advice.

I bought a bucket from pepboys a while back and the grit guard went down barely half way. I think the problem is that those buckets are 3 or 4 gallons rather than 5.

BobbyG
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Both my grit guards are loose fitting and at the bottom of the buckets, neither guard floats at all....

stibuki
08-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Floating is not desirable. It really should to be touching the bottom with a preferred slight snug fit to do it's job with full effect. I have a few that are lose and a few that are tight but none of them float. That being said you have a few solutions.

Home remedy:
Take 4 zip ties and attach them to the outer ring. Place them right next to the supports that are touching the bottom of the bucket, zip them tight and cut off the tail. This will increase the circumference of the grit guard for a tighter fit. You can also adjust the fit by using different size zip ties.

Another solution $:

Hit up Home Depot for a 5 gallon Homer bucket. Grit Guard fits nice and tight. While you are there I would also recommend getting a Gamma Seal Lid.
$2.60 for bucket
$6.97 for Gamma Seal Lid

Cheap, easy, one stop with no shipping charges and no waiting.

D.R.
08-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Mine float sometimes until I tap them against the bottom of the bucket and knock the bubbles off. I doubt changing buckets will help unless you find one where you're wedging the guard against the bucket.

kemefk
08-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Floating is not desirable. It really should to be touching the bottom with a preferred slight snug fit to do it's job with full effect. I have a few that are lose and a few that are tight but none of them float. That being said you have a few solutions.

Home remedy:
Take 4 zip ties and attach them to the outer ring. Place them right next to the supports that are touching the bottom of the bucket, zip them tight and cut off the tail. This will increase the circumference of the grit guard for a tighter fit. You can also adjust the fit by using different size zip ties.

Another solution $:

Hit up Home Depot for a 5 gallon Homer bucket. Grit Guard fits nice and tight. While you are there I would also recommend getting a Gamma Seal Lid.
$2.60 for bucket
$6.97 for Gamma Seal Lid

Cheap, easy, one stop with no shipping charges and no waiting.

What a wonderful idea! Thanks. I'll try that when I get home from work.:dblthumb2:

ZimRandy
08-09-2012, 12:45 PM
If you use rinseless washes, this bucket at HD has the measurements on the outside that are pretty handy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61GTWpzk9ML._SL500_AA280_.gif

It also has a foam padded handle and is about $5.

Randy

oldmodman
08-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Mine floated in some of the buckes i have used.

Solution?

Fishing weight tied to the middle of the grit guard. Stays right on the bottom.