PDA

View Full Version : If you had to...

Pages : [1] 2

Jackson
08-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Now...keep in mind, this is only if you had to, but what would you do if you couldn't do your own hand wash? Would you:

1. Wash it yourself at a high-pressure car wash bay, or
2. Take it to the places that wash/dry/vacuum (brushless type), or
3. Take it to a brush car was (I hope not), or
4. Not wash it all until you could do it right! (and hope you don't get water spots from rain)

How do you rank them?

tach18k
08-09-2012, 10:27 AM
Well I might have someone do the car under my instructions while I watched. since you say take it to a car wash, then your driving, if so then sitting in a chair and watching it be done is reasonable.

cleanmycorolla
08-09-2012, 10:29 AM
i'd do a waterless wash, ONR or UWW+ something like i always do now. With ONR it changed the way I wash my cars....

kemefk
08-09-2012, 10:41 AM
I would wash my car in the high-pressure washer bay. The reason being that I have the most control on what products is being used and I am the one cleaning it.:props:

BobbyG
08-09-2012, 11:15 AM
I would opt for #1. :props:

Option 1 gives me a lot of flexibility. I can use their entire wash or bring my own bucket of soap and water then use their facility to rinse, dry, and vacuum....

Jackson
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
A little more clarification...you do not have your own bucket, soap, or wash media available...you are at the mercy of the machines mentioned above. You do have access to your own drying towels :)

Y2KSVT
08-09-2012, 12:04 PM
Is this some hypothetical scenario you have playing in your head, or do you actually have this issue currently and are looking for advice? If you're looking for advice, I'd be curious if the reason you can't do your own hand wash is because of:

1: Water restriction
2: Disability
3: Time
4: Apartment living
5: Something else

If it's a water restriction, there are ways around that with waterless and rinseless washes. If it's a disability, I suggest asking for help from an able-bodied person that can follow-instructions. If it's time, then I'd say find someone who has it and pay them to do it right. And for apartment living, I'd probably spray it myself in the wash bay and then wax it by hand there.

Jackson
08-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Is this some hypothetical scenario you have playing in your head, or do you actually have this issue currently and are looking for advice? If you're looking for advice, I'd be curious if the reason you can't do your own hand wash is because of:

1: Water restriction
2: Disability
3: Time
4: Apartment living
5: Something else

If it's a water restriction, there are ways around that with waterless and rinseless washes. If it's a disability, I suggest asking for help from an able-bodied person that can follow-instructions. If it's time, then I'd say find someone who has it and pay them to do it right. And for apartment living, I'd probably spray it myself in the wash bay and then wax it by hand there.

A little of both 3 & 5. I have an SUV and a car to keep up with, which isn't too bad. Then you throw a "normal" job, kids, house, etc in the mix, and time is of short order. No extra money for the way I'd prefer it, so I'm looking for a good balance. Rinseless washes work fairly well, but I don't seem to have gotten the knack of getting the vehicles as clean what a hose & bucket wash will get me (primarily wheels & wells).

(That and the weather doesn't seem to want to cooperate with my free time)

oldgeek
08-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd opt for not washing it at all. I bought my son a new civic back in 2002 for high school graduation. He never, ever washed it! I refused to wash it too since I was paying for it....

Long story short, he traded it in this spring on a new Acura. Being a nice guy, I decided to wash and detail the Civic before he traded it in.
Since it had never been washed, the paint underneath 10 years of dirt was in great shape. A careful, wash, clay, (pinnacle cleansing lotion), sealant, and wax made it look brand new. If you don't wash it, you don't swirl it!

He got top dollar for it in the trade. Dealer said it was the best looking 10 year old car he had ever seen. :-)

A-train
08-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Ok I'll play. My selections in order-2,1,4,3

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

kemefk
08-09-2012, 05:23 PM
I'd opt for not washing it at all. I bought my son a new civic back in 2002 for high school graduation. He never, ever washed it! I refused to wash it too since I was paying for it....

Long story short, he traded it in this spring on a new Acura. Being a nice guy, I decided to wash and detail the Civic before he traded it in.
Since it had never been washed, the paint underneath 10 years of dirt was in great shape. A careful, wash, clay, (pinnacle cleansing lotion), sealant, and wax made it look brand new. If you don't wash it, you don't swirl it!

He got top dollar for it in the trade. Dealer said it was the best looking 10 year old car he had ever seen. :-)
:haha:

FUNX650
08-09-2012, 06:17 PM
-I'd opt for not washing it at all.

-Since it had never been washed, the paint underneath 10 years of dirt was in great shape.

-If you don't wash it, you don't swirl it!
^^^:xyxthumbs:^^^

(This would make for a great signature line!) LOL

Dirt...The new:

"Unexfoliated graphite-nano-platelet...UV protectant/inhibitor/absorber"!

Whodathunk??

:)

Bob

kemefk
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
DIRT....puts Opti-Coat and CQuartz to shame!!;)

CamaroSS27
08-10-2012, 12:17 PM
I live in an apartment and what I do is take it to a bay fill up two buckets with water and wet my car. Wash with my own products, then put more quarters in and rinse it, then dry with waffle weaves.

PoorOwner
08-10-2012, 01:22 PM
I also have similar question, I am planning to do a road trip about 2000 miles and I would like to wash it after the first few days (1000 miles) to get the bugs off. Not sure where or how to get it safely washed, I could bring my own pressure washer and all the gear but then I won't have space for anything else :)