PDA

View Full Version : How to battle hot garages in spring/summer?

Pages : [1] 2

Sixbanger
08-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Mike,
It's very difficult detailing my car during the spring and summer seasons in south Florida in my garage. I've tried everything I could and it just boils down to me having to postpone full details til fall!!! Yes. I've had to wait.very sad indeed : ) Got any suggestions?

sproketser
08-08-2012, 06:45 PM
Real early in the morning maybe ! it s what I would do , but South Florida s pretty hot & humid on Summer time .

BobbyG
08-08-2012, 06:47 PM
The only way to combat the heat is to have an insulated building to keep the heat out.

Ventilation and air circulation is another option to keep your working environment tolerable.

Air conditioning is another solution and if the building is insulated it'll maintain the temperature at a reasonable cost.

Work outside in the shade and hope for a breeze.

david79z28
08-08-2012, 09:01 PM
I use 30" portable fans. I move them around as I work on my cars.

I also keep a small refrigerator stocked with water in my shop.

Stop occasionally, relax and admire your work.

Sometimes I still need to stop and go inside to cool off...

rolop6
08-08-2012, 09:07 PM
You can buy a portacool about 500 for a small one, that will lower the humidity and air temp by 20-30 degrees. Or buy a 30" fan with a fine mist system, that should help with the humidity. You can find the system at tractor supply or academy. Hope it helps

Jaretr1
08-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I have an uninsulated garage in Miami. I bought a blower fan, and then also have a few small fans I turn on. Once the sun goes down and it "cools" off, the fans help bring the garage atmosphere to a tolerable warmth where I can actually work in it. Its brutal during the day.

sproketser
08-09-2012, 08:38 AM
Good tips in there .

swanicyouth
08-09-2012, 09:01 AM
Anyone start sweating so bad it starts dripping on the finish? That's irritating.

Grifftech
08-09-2012, 09:08 AM
Anyone start sweating so bad it starts dripping on the finish? That's irritating.

omg yes LOL!!! Especially when trying to do a LSP :)

Grifftech
08-09-2012, 09:09 AM
Luckily my garage is insulated and completely drywalled and the garage door is insulated so next Spring I am having a window put in the outside wall that way I can put in a window A/C unit and use when I detail.

mswerb
08-09-2012, 07:25 PM
I have a small window fan that helps a bit. Having a fridge in the garage is nice, but is does generate some heat.

Shortspark
08-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Here in East Texas it is not only hot but humid. I consider the humidity to be the detailer's because problem. There is no way fans in a garage will help. When it is over 100 degrees each day and high humidity you must have air conditioning to work. And the bright sun is like a blow torch. That is why my detail work is done only in the spring, fall and winter. This climate explains why there is just one pro detailer in the entire region known as "East Texas"! Thankfully, I only have a couple vehicles to care for.

When a car needs some attention I get up early and put on my head-lamp and start working the interior and the wheels. With the dawn I am able to wash and my topper is on just as the sun reaches over the roof. The car is done by the time the sun hits my driveway. Working in the garage can't happen because it is too hot and outside the heat, coupled with the high humidity hazes every product. There is no LSP for example, either wax or sealant, that will not haze and become very difficult to remove in this kind of humidity. The only thing I can do for between detail protection is top my car wash with AquaWax (it is very difficult to work in humidity but it is worth it). For occasional gloss boost and dust removal the best working product in this kind of heat and humidity I have found is Griot's Speed Shine.

DaveT435
08-09-2012, 08:44 PM
Especially when it drips two seconds after you wipe your face off. lol

NoSuchSol
08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Mitsubishi Electric Cooling & Heating | HVAC (http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/)

rcramie
08-10-2012, 12:45 AM
Here in East Texas it is not only hot but humid. I consider the humidity to be the detailer's because problem. There is no way fans in a garage will help. When it is over 100 degrees each day and high humidity you must have air conditioning to work. And the bright sun is like a blow torch. That is why my detail work is done only in the spring, fall and winter. This climate explains why there is just one pro detailer in the entire region known as "East Texas"! Thankfully, I only have a couple vehicles to care for.

When a car needs some attention I get up early and put on my head-lamp and start working the interior and the wheels. With the dawn I am able to wash and my topper is on just as the sun reaches over the roof. The car is done by the time the sun hits my driveway. Working in the garage can't happen because it is too hot and outside the heat, coupled with the high humidity hazes every product. There is no LSP for example, either wax or sealant, that will not haze and become very difficult to remove in this kind of humidity. The only thing I can do for between detail protection is top my car wash with AquaWax (it is very difficult to work in humidity but it is worth it). For occasional gloss boost and dust removal the best working product in this kind of heat and humidity I have found is Griot's Speed Shine.

SWLA, the humidity is killer during this time of year I detail late afternoon to early morning on weekends in a shop. I did it during the day this past weekend and it was work for 40 min and 10 min water breaks, im going back to nights.