PDA

View Full Version : OK, Killer, While I have your attention--

BlackCoupe
04-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Getting frustrated with the rotary. Seems to be doing its job--I go from using it with 80 on a 8006 pad to Menzerna FP II on the DA. But something does not seem right. I get one pass before I am dry.

South Florida. Evening. Inside garage. 2foot square, moving at the rate of one foot per 8 seconds.

I see all these videos of people working multiple passes, left and right, up and down, and I just believe I am doing something wrong.

What is your rotary technique.

nick19
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Getting frustrated with the rotary. Seems to be doing its job--I go from using it with 80 on a 8006 pad to Menzerna FP II on the DA. But something does not seem right. I get one pass before I am dry.

South Florida. Evening. Inside garage. 2foot square, moving at the rate of one foot per 8 seconds.

I see all these videos of people working multiple passes, left and right, up and down, and I just believe I am doing something wrong.

What is your rotary technique.

Before you go dry on the rotary or DA?

How much product are you using? What speed? How much pressure?

ScottB
04-09-2007, 07:30 PM
I get great results with PC and Menzerna polishes, so I rarely pull out the rotary. That said, because the rotary passes heat onto the pad you will see polishes dry quicker. You can use something to dampen the pad (like XMT pad conditioner as needed) and make sure your speed setting is relatively low at 1200-1300 rpms.

**No brainer -- car should be cool to the touch ***

BlackCoupe
04-09-2007, 07:31 PM
Before you go dry on the rotary or DA?

How much product are you using? What speed? How much pressure?

Before I go dry on the rotary. I lay out three lines for the 2X2. I prime the pad (not every time). I don;t think I am getting the most out of it, because I suspect the product is not breaking down as far as it can.

DA with Menzerna is not a problem-it resolves down to a black oily film.

EDIT: Rotary speed is 1000 RPM.

Nica
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Black,

The rotary takes trial and error my friend, I too am starting with the rotary and I learned first had how quickly it can burn paint lol..good thing it's my old beater.

I found out that you when using the rotary it's all pending the polish you are using and the pad you are using. Wih the rotary, you must start with the less abrasive pad and polish. Since the rotary generates more heat it breaks down the polish much faster.

I'm new at this and can't really give to many pointers because I'm learning my self but one thing I've learned is that you do need to use some more polish and the polish needs to have oils in order for the polish to dry up.

Well I hope others join in to help out....just sharing my $0.02

nick19
04-09-2007, 07:34 PM
Before I go dry on the rotary. I lay out three lines for the 2X2. I prime the pad (not every time). I don;t think I am getting the most out of it, because I suspect the product is not breaking down as far as it can.

DA with Menzerna is not a problem-it resolves down to a black oily film.

PM sent.