PDA

View Full Version : 1989 Ford Bronco oxidation

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Didn't have my camera so no pics. But wanted to know if anyone can tell what kind of paint is on a 89 Ford Bronco.
Has not been repainted to the knowledge of the owner. Didn't want to go hacking away with a compound without knowing what I'm working with. The oxidation is mostly on hood and roof, other panels seem fine.
Also on hood and drivers side little pen sized rust spots. What should I do about them? Could running a ccs pad over them harm the pad? Should I lightly sand them? Thanks in advance!

rdf
08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
I've seen some pretty amazing pics of how much oxidation Klasse AIO can remove. Maybe try that first before anything abrasive?

rider9195
08-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Get a MF towel and with some polish on it work on a small spot on the roof. It the paint comes off onto the towel, it has single stage paint. At that point I would probably stick with Meguiar's #7 as it is great for single stage paints.

I know there is a thread floating around here of someone doing the same thing as I mentioned. Trying to find it at the moment.

Edit: I would definitely look at this thread: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/25304-secret-removing-oxidation-restoring-show-car-finish-antique-single-stage-paints.html

And here is the other Bronco I was talking about: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/39852-1986-bronco-ii-product-testing-ongoing-project-thread-1-a.html

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Get a MF towel and with some polish on it work on a small spot on the roof. It the paint comes off onto the towel, it has single stage paint. At that point I would probably stick with Meguiar's #7 as it is great for single stage paints.

I know there is a thread floating around here of someone doing the same thing as I mentioned. Trying to find it at the moment.

Yeah I just read a thread about Meg's #7 that mike had posted a while back. Is #7 over the counter or would I have to order it

rider9195
08-07-2012, 08:16 PM
The Advanced Auto in my area has it sometimes. But I can go to NAPA and tell them what product I want and they'll have it either by the end of the day or the next day.

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 08:26 PM
The Advanced Auto in my area has it sometimes. But I can go to NAPA and tell them what product I want and they'll have it either by the end of the day or the next day.

Cool I'll look into that. Thanks rider. Now just need some info on rust spots and I'll be good to go.

rider9195
08-07-2012, 08:29 PM
Cool I'll look into that. Thanks rider. Now just need some info on rust spots and I'll be good to go.

I looked up and found that IronX is safe on single stage paints, just in case that is the paint type. It should remove those rust spots, then follow with a good claying.

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 08:34 PM
I looked up and found that IronX is safe on single stage paints, just in case that is the paint type. It should remove those rust spots, then follow with a good claying.

Nice. I've been needing to add IronX to my detailing arsenal

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 08:36 PM
I've seen some pretty amazing pics of how much oxidation Klasse AIO can remove. Maybe try that first before anything abrasive?

I'll look into that as well. But looks like I'm headed in the Meg's #7 direction if it's single stage