PDA

View Full Version : My first boat!

Sunshyne
08-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I have a boat in the queue for next week and I am not sure I have the right chemicals.

I have a GG DA, Megs D300, XMT360, some Menz items and I was wondering what would be a good 1, 2 punch to do a bass boat in average condition.

thanks in advance!

Junebug
08-07-2012, 08:03 PM
Depends on "average" condition. If it's got any oxidation you will need a rotary, several good wool pads and a can of Shurhold's buff magic, trust me, I've done a few ski boats and gel coat will laugh at car polishes. But, on the other hand, you can get amazing results with just one step with the combo I mentioned. Tips - spur the wool after each section, when the wool gets gummy/nasty - switch to a clean pad, 1000-1200 rpm and take your time to work in the polish.
Top with some Four Seasons Trewax Boat Wax.
Oh - drink a lot of gatoraid!

Sunshyne
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM
Can I use smaller wool pads with my GG? I don't own a rotorary

Hoytman
08-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Rotary is a big help, but it can be done with a DA at a much slower pace.

Here's a Ranger bass boat I did last fall. Perhaps this will help you compare what you're up against.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/44177-ranger-bass-boat-minor-scratch-removal.html

For the bass boat, my tools worked just fine. The boat wasn't that bad, and the G110V2 did a nice job of removing sanding marks.

I did a 25ft Baha Cruiser Walk Around Fisherman this spring. This time I had a rotary and wool pads along with some Meguiar's #67 One-Step Compound. This too worked fine for what I was doing. I do plan on getting some Buff Magic to have in my arsenal.

Sunshyne
08-08-2012, 07:08 AM
so Buff magic stuff will work with a Megs microfiber cutting pad you guys think

Otherwise I will hit it with D300 or 105

KKYS
08-24-2012, 05:07 PM
so Buff magic stuff will work with a Megs microfiber cutting pad you guys think

We tried that and it was a complete failure.
Nothing against Megs microfiber pads, some combinations just don't
work well together.

master detailer
08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
sunshyne wool pad buff magic and if your a detailer you need to get a real buffer rotary thats all I can say to help you. ps pad washer also

BillE
08-25-2012, 07:14 AM
As mentioned above, a DA can be used, just will take longer. I only use a DA these days (have some physical problems), and have gotten good results with the various Meguiar's marine/rv products (Power Cut-M91, One Step-M67). Unless the surface is in 'like new' condition, it is a multi-step operation to really "Git ur done."

Just a word of note...when doing (compounding) gel-coat, you will need to constantly need to clean your pads. You will be amazed on the amount of dead gel-coat and spent product that will accumulate.

Bill

A.P.A.D.
08-25-2012, 07:32 AM
Try the 360 first. You would be surprised in what an AIO can do for ya. Also get hold of some Duragloss 501 and mix it 4:1 with DG 601 for some amazing protection.

if this does not work for you. try M105 or see if there are any detailers in your area that would let you borrow their rotary polisher

Sunshyne
09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Try the 360 first. You would be surprised in what an AIO can do for ya. Also get hold of some Duragloss 501 and mix it 4:1 with DG 601 for some amazing protection.

if this does not work for you. try M105 or see if there are any detailers in your area that would let you borrow their rotary polisher

105 on a cutting pad did the trick for the most part. There were some deeper scratches and so forth I did not tackle but it's a 10 year old boat that's gets used often so the owner wasn't worried.

I tried to ask a local for a Rotary but no dice so ill just have to bite the bullet and get a Dewalt once finances allow along with some wool pads. Just need another boat customer now :)

thanks to all for the suggestions