PDA

View Full Version : Getting my car into show car shape

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Skimmer0220
08-07-2012, 02:07 PM
So I've been on here for a bit now reading and learning and I'm getting my car ready for a big show now I painted it in September and did a full cut and polish in her to remove all the orange peel now I have a lot of swirls in the paint, after spending a bunch if money in other more for their car I'm left with not much to get the swirls out now here's what I do have and what I was thinking
Rotary buffer w/ 6" backing plate
Orange pad
Green pad
Red pad
presets ultra cuting cream (cut with this and a green pad)
3m machine polish (haven't used this yet)

I'm apps open to buying new pads and Meg's 105, 205, and carnauba wax

So that brings me to my other question does what I have seem sufficient enough to remove the swirls or should I the Meg's products or just one of them?

This is where I'm lost and id let the detailing gurus help me

I wish I had the money to just go and buy a nice swirl remover kit

Also I can post pics of the swirls when I get home

Sent from space through a satellite

Skimmer0220
08-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Nada? Ok all good guess I'll have to figure this one out

longdx
08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
Ok, the Meg twins (105/205) should easily remove the swirls. If you have the money, then get a DA polisher. The 3M machine polish should also easily work (I have not tried it).

Eandras
08-07-2012, 08:07 PM
If you are willing to get Meg 105 and 205 and use the orange pad for 105. Is your green pad the cutting pad or a polishing pad. If polishing you could use that one. If not order a white or gray pad for 205.

Get a good quality sealant and wax

rider9195
08-07-2012, 08:20 PM
I would try and orange pad with presta cutting creme you have. Then follow with a green pad and the 3M Machine Polish. Do you have a dual action polisher? It may be hard to finish down without holograms with a rotary especially if you are new with it.

Skimmer0220
08-07-2012, 08:21 PM
So the orange is the most aggressive cutting pad then he green one and the red is a finishing pad and polishing but I may buy some nice 3m ones the store has

And as much as I want to buy a da I really don't have the money I have an oil leak to fix and have to spend around 300 to fix that so this is kinda where I'm at

I'll probly do a test strip with the 3m machine polish and see how that works and then go after the Meg's combo if they doesn't work

Any suggestions for 3m pads? Or should I use what I have?

Skimmer0220
08-07-2012, 08:23 PM
I would try and orange pad with presta cutting creme you have. Then follow with a green pad and the 3M Machine Polish. Do you have a dual action polisher? It may be hard to finish down without holograms with a rotary especially if you are new with it.

At first I used the presta cutting compound with the green pad And I'll try the machine polish with the green pad next but no budget for a da :( unless I can pick one up cheap

Skimmer0220
08-10-2012, 06:15 AM
I was hoping to get a test strip done last night but was only able to do a wash and vacuum so maybe Monday I'll be able to get some work done

Mike Phillips
08-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Nada? Ok all good guess I'll have to figure this one out

You don't have to figure it out on your own but forums are not always spontaneous. For example I was in the studio most of yesterday preparing to create a show car finish myself and as such, didn't see your post or would have chimed-in in a timely manner...

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1511/65Stang023.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/1511/65Stang024.jpg

here's what I do have

Rotary buffer w/ 6" backing plate
Orange pad
Green pad
Red pad

I'm apps open to buying new pads and Meg's 105, 205, and carnauba wax

So that brings me to my other question does what I have seem sufficient enough to remove the swirls or should I the Meg's products or just one of them?

I've never used the Presta product but I've read good things about them. To me the only test that counts is how they work on black paint. The abrasive technology either works or it doesn't.

Meguiar's, Optima and Menzerna have very good abrasive technology.

If you want to do it right and do it once and get the results you're looking for then get the Meguiar's M105 and the M205, these two products are in the tops in their category for removing swirls and creating a show car finish with a deep, wet shine.

Rotary buffers tend to always impart their own swirl patterns in the paint. IF you finish out with the M205 and a soft, clean foam finishing pad AND apply a good coat of wax onto the paint you will have a swirl free finish at least in appearance and that's just as good as a true swirl-free finish for most people especially if you keep wax on the paint.

You can try to use the product you have, if you do then do a TEST SPOT to one section of the paint, by this I mean, do all the steps using the pads and products you have to say half of the hood, including applying whatever wax or paint sealant you have and then move the car into full, overhead sunlight and inspect the paint.

IF the paint looks good to you and you're happy with the results then duplicate this process over the rest of the car.

If the paint doesn't look good to you, that is you see holograms, then get the Meguiar's Twins and a good wax.

Read these two articles,

How To Do a Test Spot (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/50162-how-do-test-spot.html)
(and why it's so important)

Hologram Free with a Rotary Buffer (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/43684-hologram-free-rotary-buffer.html)

I'm subscribing to this thread and hope to read your follow-up sharing your success.

:)

Skimmer0220
08-10-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks do much Mike I do get a bit anxious but was getting some responses but the presto was really the first stage from removing the orange peel
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee30d30-f6bb-3112.jpg
This is the polished side with presta and sanded side

But the products I did get we're from a professional paint shop, the other question is should I invest in some better pads? I only have 3 from about I bought from 3d car care (please forgive me) I learned the hard way not to buy from them

So I'll see if I can get half the hood polished with the machine polish Monday (of corse the weekends already booked)

Mike Phillips
08-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Thanks do much Mike I do get a bit anxious

I can get like that too when posting and hoping for quick answers on 4x4 forums I belong too :D

But the products I did get we're from a professional paint shop,

The most important factor is the abrasive technology and the formula in total, where you buy it is less important as it has nothing to do with what's inside the bottle. I called on PBE store for 3 years of my life training Countermen and Counterwomen on the Meguiar's line so they could answer customer's questions, for the most part these people were just there for the money and will sell you whatever you bring to the counter.

the other question is should I invest in some better pads? I only have 3 from about I bought from 3d car care (please forgive me) I learned the hard way not to buy from them

Pads are usually the least important factor when it comes to overall results as long as you're using pads from the right category, by this I mean if you need a cutting pad then use a wool cutting pad and as long as it's a quality wool pad you'll get great results, same goes for foam pad categories.

If you don't have a good wool cutting pad and a spur for removing sanding marks then get one. I like the Meguiar's red or maroon Solo wool pads with a flexible backing plate as the cut well and clean easy.

This is the polished side with presta and sanded side
http://img.tapatalk.com/aee30d30-f6bb-3112.jpg

To be honest, the polish side looks dull, hazy and in need of redoing.

If you were to have cut that with Meguiar's M105 and a quality wool pad an a rotary buffer it would look like you just did the "finish polishing" with a fine polish and some would think you were done and had already applied a coat of wax. It's that good.

Get some, try it and you'll see for yourself.

:)

SON1C
08-10-2012, 08:06 AM
Mikes right, surprise lol

However IMO if you aren't willing to spend the money for a da you shouldn't waste your time trying to polish, unless you're skilled with a flex, personally with the advanced tech in da rotaries are risky and stupid use

After a section pass of 105
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/d584a070.jpg

Skimmer0220
08-10-2012, 12:46 PM
Mikes right, surprise lol

However IMO if you aren't willing to spend the money for a da you shouldn't waste your time trying to polish, unless you're skilled with a flex, personally with the advanced tech in da rotaries are risky and stupid use

After a section pass of 105
http://i857.photobucket.com/albums/ab134/Elias101a/Drews%20Detailing/d584a070.jpg

Yea haha I really don think I can afford a da right now but if I can't get the swirls out after the rotary I may have to squeeze some more outa my paycheck

Skimmer0220
08-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I did a small test strip today after work and it doesn't look to bad but here's some small scratches on a small part that I did do I'm guessing technique that I used on that spot but I wanna get a new pad I was maybe gonna get 3m what color do you think I should get?

pontiac.gxp
08-10-2012, 10:09 PM
Buy some megs 105 (orange pad), megs 205 (white pad), megs 7 (blue pad), megs 26 (blue pad). I was afraid to spend the money on these products but I after using them with my cheap chinese rotary buffer I now have a quality show car, swirl and hologram free. i have only been using a buffer for about one month. Just have patience and read many articles on autogeek and watch the pro mike phillips in his videos