PDA

View Full Version : Polishing....how often?

Pages : [1] 2

Puckywuckums
08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
Forgive me if this has been asked before. Please point me in the right direction if you must.

Polished my car last month. Gave it the full treatment....clay, polish, AIO, wax.
Will be stripping it with a good clay and wash next month, but unless I see any swirls/scratches, is there any reason to polish it again? Would a light polish with a white pad be okay with something like a Griots #3? Then going to follow with Black Light and Collinite.

Thanks!

rider9195
08-07-2012, 01:58 PM
I would just use Blacklight on a black pad. Unless you have more swirls in your paint.

cleanmycorolla
08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
Why would you polish if you don't need too? Just to remove some clear that isn't needed? IMO, why even strip it and clay it again? You can use a nice cleaner wax if you want to clean it up and add some gloss, then retop it.....but polishing again, when it's not needed I wouldn't do? Why correct paint that does need it, and remove paint on your car?

KneeDragr
08-07-2012, 01:59 PM
No reason to polish if there are no defects.

Also, Black Light has good filling ability, and Collonite has some as well. So even if there are some light imperfections Id skip it. In fact I wouldent even clay myself, I would use a paint cleaner to avoid abrasiveness on the paint.

I only clay/polish my DD once a year as I want the paint and UV protection to last a decade ( thats how long I keep my cars ).

Rsurfer
08-07-2012, 02:02 PM
If you polished two months ago, why are you polishing again? Swirls are caused by improper washing techniques. If you wash properly, you should only have to do some light polishing every 6-12 months. Water spots are another problem, hope that's not your case.
Forgive me if this has been asked before. Please point me in the right direction if you must.

Polished my car last month. Gave it the full treatment....clay, polish, AIO, wax.
Will be stripping it with a good clay and wash next month, but unless I see any swirls/scratches, is there any reason to polish it again? Would a light polish with a white pad be okay with something like a Griots #3? Then going to follow with Black Light and Collinite.

Thanks!

Puckywuckums
08-07-2012, 02:34 PM
No reason to polish if there are no defects.

Also, Black Light has good filling ability, and Collonite has some as well. So even if there are some light imperfections Id skip it. In fact I wouldent even clay myself, I would use a paint cleaner to avoid abrasiveness on the paint.

I only clay/polish my DD once a year as I want the paint and UV protection to last a decade ( thats how long I keep my cars ).

Claying because I park next to the highway and about 100 feet from the airport. Lots of shite settles on my car every day. Did a baggy test and it felt like a wino's beard. But maybe a paint cleaner would do the trick. Thanks.

stibuki
08-07-2012, 02:50 PM
IMO worst case (as said if you are washing properly) would be wash, clay, mild AIO and your preferred topper. I would go with a AIO that chemically cleans more than a abrasive heavy cleaner. Parking so close to the airport and highway (double whammy) I am sure in a few weeks after cleaning paint is chock full of fall-out.

AeroCleanse
08-07-2012, 02:52 PM
Unless there are defects, use a cleaner like Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite. Or switch to a coating that has scratch resistance like GTechniq C1, then you won't have to worry.

Puckywuckums
08-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Thanks. Tough crowd! :)

DaveT435
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
I feel for ya...the airport fall out is BAD stuff!!! Sounds like your car would be a great test subject for EXO!!! lol

darkangelism
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
What about finishing polishes?

mwoolfso
08-07-2012, 05:28 PM
I would do a test panel, 1/2 with clay and AIO or Pre-wax Cleaner and the other just the AIO or pre-wax cleaner. It will be very apparent to you which process will be required. Once you have the process down, the rest of the car gets it.

BobbyG
08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
Everyone here strives for perfection and to have our cars and trucks absolutely perfect and swirl free. The problem I see with this philosophy is it's next to impossible to obtain this level of perfection on any finish except a show car that never sees the outdoors...

Something to keep in the back of you mind is the finish on your car or truck is scary thin and can be compromised if compound and polishing is overdone..

I recommend using a 1-step product every few months. This will keep the finish looking its best making its care easy and straight forward.

This is also a great opportunity to use a glaze. Glazes fill those minor swirls and defects making the finish appear to be perfect. Once the glaze has dried or cured apply a nice coat of sealant or wax to give it both depth and protection...:props:

c5errr
08-08-2012, 04:12 AM
u can use meguiars ultimate polish
its a glaze with some light abrasives and fillers with ccs white pad hand or machine
then go ahead with your fav wax or sealant

Larry S
08-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Everyone here strives for perfection and to have our cars and trucks absolutely perfect and swirl free. The problem I see with this philosophy is it's next to impossible to obtain this level of perfection on any finish except a show car that never sees the outdoors...

Something to keep in the back of you mind is the finish on your car or truck is scary thin and can be compromised if compound and polishing is overdone..

I recommend using a 1-step product every few months. This will keep the finish looking its best making its care easy and straight forward.

This is also a great opportunity to use a glaze. Glazes fill those minor swirls and defects making the finish appear to be perfect. Once the glaze has dried or cured apply a nice coat of sealant or wax to give it both depth and protection...:props:

Hello Bobby,

Just asking, but, would blacklight be a 1 step product?

Best,
Larry