PDA

View Full Version : Flex locally for $275 w/8 CCS Pads. Good buy?

ChrisMessier
08-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Hey guys,

Here's a little background...

I used one of those sears buffers for the first two years of my "detailing" business. The paint didn't come out worse, but no significant improvements could be seen. This made me shy of asking for my price (about $100) for the longest time.

I figured that it couldn't do any harm, so I bought my PC. It made a night and day improvement, and people began to really appreciate my work. I've been working with the PC since January.

My question to all of you: Would a Flex 3401 be about the same level of improvement that I experienced jumping from the wax spreader to the PC? I've seen the videos of Mike Phillips using the Flex, and I agree that it could cut my work time. However, the one that is local and used on Craigslist is $275 with 8 LC CCS Pads.

Before I spend lots of money, please give me your honest opinions. Autogeek seems to push the Flex with their own products, which is understandable. However, I don't want to buy it and realize a rotary was a better option.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!

KneeDragr
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
I wouldent pay $275 for a used one, you are taking a huge risk considering a new one is 50$ more.

Id offer him $150 for it, and let him keep the pads.

alko
08-07-2012, 11:45 AM
IMO, I would pass on the deal and aim towards a rotary, maybe a PE14-2. You already have a DA so why spend the money on another DA. Granted...the 3401 has forced rotation, but might as well go all the way with a rotary.

craz0boy
08-07-2012, 12:12 PM
I wouldent pay $275 for a used one, you are taking a huge risk considering a new one is 50$ more.

Agree

SonOfOC
08-07-2012, 12:48 PM
I absolutely love both my Flex rotary and DA. With that said, the PC will do everything a Flex 3401 will do. The gap is even closer now with MF pads.

Agree with Alko, go with a rotary since you have a PC. It can get into really tight spots that don't allow for buzzing DAs. It can also jewel the paint to the highest possible shine. Flex PE-14 if budget permits, if not go with the Dewalt 849x.

ChrisMessier
08-07-2012, 11:25 PM
Thanks for the input guys! I think I will work up to a rotary for next spring... Glad to know I wasn't missing out on a huge difference.

gothamite302
08-20-2012, 07:22 PM
i got upgraded to the 3401 last Christmas (it was a gift) and i love the difference from my PC and it does cut down on time but i started with a PC. Rotary is next but i LOVE my Flex and the the power is night and day to the PC. i do agree with the offer of $150 on a used one, $50 isn't enough of a difference to not a get a new one, even if money is tight

gothamite302
08-20-2012, 07:23 PM
I absolutely love both my Flex rotary and DA. With that said, the PC will do everything a Flex 3401 will do. The gap is even closer now with MF pads.

Agree with Alko, go with a rotary since you have a PC. It can get into really tight spots that don't allow for buzzing DAs. It can also jewel the paint to the highest possible shine. Flex PE-14 if budget permits, if not go with the Dewalt 849x.

i was thinking of getting a 3403 mainly because of price, and i dont use any pads larger than 7" as of right now. would you recommend the DeWalt over that?

BobbyG
08-20-2012, 07:40 PM

:iagree: Let him adjust his price and if the polisher's in great shape come to an agreement otherwise add an additional $50 and buy a new one...:props:

tuscarora dave
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
I agree that $275 is too much for a used unit with or without pads. The 3401 is a great polisher, especially if you get into detailing things other than cars. Trailers for instance, horse trailers, enclosed trailers with painted aluminum panels. The soft paint on those diminish to a thin transparent film in just a pass or two using a rotary, but take too long using a PC. The 3401 is perfect for stuff like that. On cars, especially on curved panels and delicate painted trim pieces, the 3401 with a light touch can handle light delicate polishing without losing pad rotation.

There are a lot of good reasons to have a 3401 in the mix.

I'd offer him $150 and pay not a penny over $200

I already own 2 of them and if it was on craigslist Harrisburg PA, I'd go buy it tonight.