PDA

View Full Version : Dealership offering "Polysteel Enviromental Protection" really?

Pages : [1] 2 3

Morphiusrt
08-05-2012, 04:45 PM
So me and my gf just got a 2012 Mini and the dealer offered "Polysteel Environmental Protection" it "keeps your mini looking its best, inside and out, for up to 6 years. This Teflon based paint sealant acts as a barrier between your Minis interior/exterior finishes and harmful effects of fading, spills, and sun. Like a permanent wax." And it's only $795!!! Do people really fall for this crap.

My salesperson knew I detailed cars but the finance person had no idea so I started asking questions about it. He got very uncomfortable quick and changed the subject when I mentioned I detailed cars.

AutowerxDetailing
08-05-2012, 04:48 PM
LOL @ Teflon based. :laughing:

Congrats on the new ride!

Ryansdetailing
08-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Lol 6 years huh? Dealerships are a joke..makes me sick they can get away with crap like that! And the fact that 95% of people actually believe it and purchase it..

Silverstone
08-05-2012, 06:19 PM
Well it's a "poly" polymer product that goes on "steel" cars so the name is perfectly normal - in marketing land.

They wait till the next generation who hopefully never heard of dealer paint seal and undercoatings goes to buy a car. 30 years ago the dealer my dad went to poured lighter fluid on the hood of a new car and lit it to show how the sealant withstands fire. LOL

MikeAOK
08-05-2012, 06:24 PM
Lmao.

https://www.iasdirect.com/Products/SuperPolysteel.aspx

Sent from my iPhone using AG Online

Shane731
08-05-2012, 06:25 PM
The dealership I work at offers an environmental protection system as well. It consists of a "paint sealant" that goes in a foam gun and goes on the car like a foam, which you wipe in and then rinse off, a leather/vinyl product for interior leather and plastics, and a fabric guard. Not quality products at all. I think they charge $500 or $600 for it. It's not so much the price that gets me, it's the fact that people are big enough suckers to fall for this crap. Do they really think a dealership can provide a product that meets all these claims? Ridiculous. The only decent thing about it is the warranty, which covers stuff like burns, tears, small dents, etc. Here's the website for the company that makes the stuff:

ECP (http://ecpinc.net/)

timaishu
08-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Everyone always jumps up to call these detailer up sells a scam. I agree that charging hundreds for the product is definitely scam worthy, but has anyone ever actually tested these products?

I would be curious to see how they actually perform, if at all.

Klasse Act
08-05-2012, 07:13 PM
IIRC don't most of these "systems" let you bring the car back once a year for a "touch up"? If this infact true, aren't you just paying for a detail in advance? As you guys all know, we're in the minority when it comes to this sort of thing, thus making us the 1%, LOL!

Sent from my SPH-M930 using AG Online

truckbutt
08-05-2012, 08:12 PM
From the link above:
There is no risk to the dealer to start selling this product. A case of chemicals is FREE to new dealer sign-ups. A certified IAS agent can install Super Polysteel at the site and train dealership personnel to apply the product. Dealerships remit a form every month listing Super Polysteel package and warranty sales along with payments for each warranty. IAS processes the warranty, and then ships each customer a 6-product maintenance kit personalized with a color logo of the selling dealership.
This is a major red flag along with the fact that they don't post the warranty online. Whenever there's a maintenance kit, there's a requirement in the warranty to use it as prescribed. They keep track of whether or not you use it by keeping track of re-orders of the kit. Most people don't bother and that voids the warranty.

Rayaz
08-05-2012, 10:25 PM
Ha. The finance "manager" is where the REAL fun begins. He/she has a whole host of up sells for you to include super desert protection packages of one buck south of a grand. I've even seen them with burned ECU modules on the desk to show you what you'll have to pay for out of pocket if you don't get the extended warranty. I told the guy if that was going to happen to the car he was selling me, maybe I'd better look at another, more reliable brand. CHANGED subject and didn't bring it up again.

Back before I knew better, I got Auto Armor. It was a so-so wax, nothing more. I'm sure this junk has some benefit, but no where near what they ask for it.

Shane731
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Everyone always jumps up to call these detailer up sells a scam. I agree that charging hundreds for the product is definitely scam worthy, but has anyone ever actually tested these products?

I would be curious to see how they actually perform, if at all.

I can say what I did because I'm the guy that applies it. I have re-washed a vehicle (dealer wash) that had the sealant applied 3-4 weeks prior, and the stuff was basically gone. Forgot to mention that the customer does get a maintenance kit with a microfiber towel and 16 oz. each of car wash, carpet shampoo, leather/vinyl cleaner/conditioner, and paint cleaner. I believe they are Auto Armor products.

Morphiusrt
08-06-2012, 05:42 AM
You know what aggravates me even more then them offering this stuff.... the amount of armor-all they fill the interior with!!! My hands were slimy the whole time I was driving.

One of the cars I test drove they folded the seat down and you could see where all the armor-all (whatever they use) ran down in between the seats.

I convinced them to throw in a free armrest ($375) and they wouldn't have to detail it lmao. Little did they know they are doing me a favor.

Mike Phillips
08-06-2012, 06:10 AM
So me and my gf just got a 2012 Mini and the dealer offered "Polysteel Environmental Protection" it "keeps your mini looking its best, inside and out, for up to 6 years. This Teflon based paint sealant acts as a barrier between your Minis interior/exterior finishes and harmful effects of fading, spills, and sun. Like a permanent wax." And it's only $795!!! Do people really fall for this crap.

Yes.

These types of paint protection plans as well as any other add-on they can sell you are termed "Profit Centers" or something like that. I don't do the "new car" thing except for once but from what I understand there's really not a lot of profit left in just selling a new car due to price competition via the introduction of this thing we call the Internet, (kind of simplistic explanation but a part of the big picture), so the profit comes from anything and everything the sales people can hook you with.

Considering the average person doesn't know the difference between a squirrel and a swirl these types of add-ons probably keep the dealerships in business.

The difference between a swirl and squirrel (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/off-topic/23142-difference-between-swirl-squirrel.html)

My salesperson knew I detailed cars but the finance person had no idea so I started asking questions about it. He got very uncomfortable quick and changed the subject when I mentioned I detailed cars.

Along the lines of the movie The Matrix, he could tell you took the red pill.

:)

Matt
08-06-2012, 06:21 AM
I told the guy if that was going to happen to the car he was selling me, maybe I'd better look at another, more reliable brand. CHANGED subject and didn't bring it up again.

Hahaha I like that way of dealing with it. I'll keep this in mind if I ever have a situation like that.

KneeDragr
08-06-2012, 06:47 AM
Its funny, you read the product literature it sounds permanent, but then it comes with a maintenance kit, lol.