PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a New Car

Racin10s
04-09-2007, 11:43 AM
All--

I have been reading over the last few days and learning just a ton of information. I am glad I finally found some people that are as picky as I am about their rides.

I have a new car that I just picked up a week ago and want to give it the treatment. I don't have a PC, but thought it wouldn't be necessary as yet, as I could get away with just good old fashion muscle?

I plan on claying the car, and I want to seal and then wax on top of that. Am I right in thinking I want to use Klasse AIO and then through some Souveran on top of that?

Sorry for the noob questions, I am kinda new at this. ;)

Mike T
04-09-2007, 11:55 AM
I think your off to a good start.

Whitethunder46
04-09-2007, 12:00 PM
All--

I have been reading over the last few days and learning just a ton of information. I am glad I finally found some people that are as picky as I am about their rides.

I have a new car that I just picked up a week ago and want to give it the treatment. I don't have a PC, but thought it wouldn't be necessary as yet, as I could get away with just good old fashion muscle?

I plan on claying the car, and I want to seal and then wax on top of that. Am I right in thinking I want to use Klasse AIO and then through some Souveran on top of that?

Sorry for the noob questions, I am kinda new at this. ;)

that will work just fine. AIO is a very good chemical cleaner, and a great bonding agent for sealants/waxes.

If you don't mind buying a few products online, here is what I'd do.

Wash with a good soap of your choice (DG 901, Pinnacle, DP's, etc. etc.)

Clay (more than likely Pinnacle Ultra Poly clay since the car is basically new, also, all Pinnacle stuff is on sale right now.)

Since you don't have a PC to polish, I personally would get a good glaze semi-heavy in fillers. This will help hide any minor minor blemishes your car may already have. Megs #7 is supposed to be decent at doing this, and can be found OTC. I however, wasn't that fond of it. I like Clearkote's Vanilla Moose and Red Machine Glaze, however, they cannot be bought on AG anymore. You can apply these all by hand.

Top this with a wax of your choice, Souveran, DP's MaxWax, Pb's, etc.

You can also use a pure sealant, such as DG 105, 111, WG deep gloss sealant, etc. These are more of a sealant than Klasse AIO which to me, is more of a bonding agent with some good cleaners.

(I've never topped a sealant with a good glaze such as Clearkote's VM or RMG and then followed it with a carnauba. Therefore, I'm not sure how everything would work. It should be perfectly fine, just try to use a glaze with very little or no cleaning abilities. RMG would be the choice for this). Hope this helps!

D
04-09-2007, 12:38 PM
I agree, but you could probably go straight from the sealant to the wax and skip the glaze. We have yet to hear about how long XMT 360 lasts. But Id look into using that and topping it with whatever wax you want. Itll take out any swirls that are on the car now and seal it. I also hear theres no curing time.

Whitethunder46
04-09-2007, 12:49 PM
I agree, but you could probably go straight from the sealant to the wax and skip the glaze. We have yet to hear about how long XMT 360 lasts. But Id look into using that and topping it with whatever wax you want. Itll take out any swirls that are on the car now and seal it. I also hear theres no curing time.

But he doesn't have a PC, nor plan on getting one soon I don't believe.

D
04-09-2007, 12:51 PM
I think you can use 360 by hand. You can use XMT 1, 2, 3, and 4 by hand.

nick19
04-09-2007, 02:50 PM
I think you can use 360 by hand. You can use XMT 1, 2, 3, and 4 by hand.
"XMT 360™ is designed for application with a buffer."
"XMT Heavy Duty Swirl Remover #4 can be applied with a rotary or D/A polisher."

The only product's I WOULD recommend by hand is #1, and XMT Glaze. Nothing else by hand, or you will be there for years trying to break it down....

Sometimes products may not be aggressive, but they are designed to be used with a machine. For instance Meg's #3, should ONLY be applied via machine. Same goes with XMT line..

alban61
04-09-2007, 03:10 PM
PB PwS can be applied by hand, but of course better with PC.
This was copied from the PB PwS product page.
"Used by hand, Poorboys Polish with Sealant works as a glaze, removing lighter imperfections and enhancing gloss".

Racin10s
04-09-2007, 03:16 PM
OK.... It looks like from what I have been reading is that I should lay down a glaze between the sealant and the wax? The issue comes in that I don't have a PC, as most of them require one?

Racin10s
04-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Not sure if it matters, by the color is bright RED.