PDA

View Full Version : Meg's 16 - ruined? Obsolete?

BlackCoupe
08-05-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi have had three cans of Meg's 16 that have been in my South Florida garage for 3-4 years. Is it likely to still be good? I used it on my new graphite gray Infiniti and it looked good and went on (by hand) as I remembered but it seemed to come off easier than I recalled (also by hand). I have a DA and a rotary, but since I'm just doing one car, I don't bother with them)

Are newer products better or more long lasting? (I have OptiSeal but I don't want to use it).

If the answer is "use the 16", then what liquid wax should I use after a wash - I generally use Wolfgangs liquid wax to remove streaking from drying. I'm wondering if this removes the 16.

Summary:
1 - did 16 go bad?
2 - is 16 obsolete? If so, what do you recommend (I have some 845 but that seemed to have separated in the garage - very lumpy). I have Meg's 26 Synthetic Sealant and Souveran Paste.
3 - if 16 is still a highly thought of alternative (for people who still have it), how long between waxes (two washes? 3?)
4 - if 16 is still a top choice, what do you recommend as a "tune-up" liquid wax between applications of 16?
5 - how do you stop your bonnet from getting gummy if you remove paste wax by machine?
6 - assuming I am comfortable with a rotary, is that better than a DA for paste wax removal?

After 6.5 years with a black Lexus I am SOOOO happy to have a color that doesn't look dirty and swirled 99% of the time.

Thanks for your thoughts.

rider9195
08-05-2012, 12:18 PM
If it went on easy and came off easy I suspect there is nothing wrong with it.

There are many new products that do last longer such as Opti-Seal. I assume you are talking about the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant. This product will not remove the #16. It will actually boost the strength of it by adding more protection to your paint.

For your summary

1: I do not think it is bad.
2: The 845 gets lumpy when it sits in cool conditions. Run the bottle under some warm water and shake VERY well and it will turn very runny.
3: If you apply the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant after every wash, you shouldn't need to wax as often as it boosts your protection. I would recommend every month if possible as you are in sunny Florida.
4: A tune up would be what you are currently using, the Wolfgang Spritz Sealant.
5: I remove wax by hand. But from the sounds of it, you might be applying the wax too thick onto the paint so then when you go to remove it, the bonnet gums up very quickly.
6: No it is not! A rotary will just instill defects if you try doing that since it is forced rotation. Stick with using the DA for wax removal if you must. I would recommend removing by hand though.