PDA

View Full Version : DG 501 vs 105

Bigbull2984
08-04-2012, 11:15 PM
What is the difference, is one just marketed different? The performance of the product seems very similar. I first tried dg105 4 years ago and it worked great. I recently just picked up the 501 and it also worked great and cleaned the paint fairly well.

Shortspark
08-05-2012, 02:41 AM
DG 105 is a hybrid cleaner sealant. Here is a definition of this by Mike Phillips who places 105 in the hybrid category: "Hybrids contain a combination of both natural and synthetic ingredients. If we use the loose definition above for car waxes and paint sealants, (For the wax group the primary protection ingredients are naturally occurring waxy substances and for the sealant group the primary protection ingredients are man-made or synthetic substances), then since hybrid products use a combination of both it would seem natural to group them and place them into their own category with both words, wax and sealant used to describe the category".

It contains some cleaning capability but not as much as 501.

DG 501 is a more aggressive cleaner and sealant that could be considered an AIO product. It is better at helping to remove swirls, oxidation and other defects. If your car is brand new or the paint is otherwise in great shape you may not need 501.

Here is a breakdown of some Duragloss products which someone listed recently in another thread. It gives a brief description of the products, including 105 and 501:

"DG 105 is a sealant with cleaners and not considered an all in one, gives more of a traditional "wax" look but is still very glossy

DG 111 is a sealant without cleaners, gives a very glossy "plastic" type look

DG 501 is a sealant with heavy cleaners and nano abrasives (according to Jerry@Duragloss), considered an all in one, will remove existing protection, very durable

DG 601 is used to extend durability of 105, 111, 501, has very light cleaners. Mix it with 105, 111, or 501 at a 1:4 ratio to save time. 1 part 601 : 4 parts 105 or 111 or 501. This product flash cures the polymers so that you don't have to wait 12 hours to layer.

DG 671 Swirl Mark Remover is a potent all in one, more cut than DG 501, very durable

DG 652 is a paint work cleanser with abrasives capable of removing water spots and light oxidation and some scratches, contains no protection".

So, as you can see there are specific applications for all these products even if some overlap each other a little. I have a brand new SUV and have used 601/501 but skipped the more aggressive cleaners. The paint looks great, especially when topped with AquaWax. Both Duragloss and Mike Phillips say these cleaners are not really necessary on most new paint. Having said that, I want to experiment and see for myself so the next time I intend to try 601/501 followed by 601/111.

In a nutshell then, I would say 105 is a cleaner/sealant with the emphasis on protection and is most often used in a two step process with a more aggressive cleaner while 501 is a cleaner/sealant with the emphasis on cleaning and is usually associated (but not always) with an AIO, one step process.

BobbyG
08-05-2012, 06:08 AM
:iagree: A very clear explanation.... :props:

primo spaghetti
08-05-2012, 07:31 AM
i thought someone suggested a sticky for this in the other thread? might be a great idea?!?!

davidc
08-05-2012, 07:53 AM
I might add that the 105 states "One application will shine and protect for 1 full year". That was the only reason I first tried 105/601 because I was looking for something to use on my 32' fifth wheel RV which I prepped with 652 first. It worked so well it led to 501,932,902,253,755,751. I think I am building a DG warehouse.

Dave

truckbutt
08-05-2012, 09:36 AM
Let'sive credit where credit is due.
Post #101 by rwright: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52480-duragloss-111-clearcoat-polish-thoughts-11.html#post715371

Bigbull2984
08-05-2012, 09:46 AM
DG 105 is a hybrid cleaner sealant. Here is a definition of this by Mike Phillips who places 105 in the hybrid category: "Hybrids contain a combination of both natural and synthetic ingredients. If we use the loose definition above for car waxes and paint sealants, (For the wax group the primary protection ingredients are naturally occurring waxy substances and for the sealant group the primary protection ingredients are man-made or synthetic substances), then since hybrid products use a combination of both it would seem natural to group them and place them into their own category with both words, wax and sealant used to describe the category".

It contains some cleaning capability but not as much as 501.

DG 501 is a more aggressive cleaner and sealant that could be considered an AIO product. It is better at helping to remove swirls, oxidation and other defects. If your car is brand new or the paint is otherwise in great shape you may not need 501.

Here is a breakdown of some Duragloss products which someone listed recently in another thread. It gives a brief description of the products, including 105 and 501:

"DG 105 is a sealant with cleaners and not considered an all in one, gives more of a traditional "wax" look but is still very glossy

DG 111 is a sealant without cleaners, gives a very glossy "plastic" type look

DG 501 is a sealant with heavy cleaners and nano abrasives (according to Jerry@Duragloss), considered an all in one, will remove existing protection, very durable

DG 601 is used to extend durability of 105, 111, 501, has very light cleaners. Mix it with 105, 111, or 501 at a 1:4 ratio to save time. 1 part 601 : 4 parts 105 or 111 or 501. This product flash cures the polymers so that you don't have to wait 12 hours to layer.

DG 671 Swirl Mark Remover is a potent all in one, more cut than DG 501, very durable

DG 652 is a paint work cleanser with abrasives capable of removing water spots and light oxidation and some scratches, contains no protection".

So, as you can see there are specific applications for all these products even if some overlap each other a little. I have a brand new SUV and have used 601/501 but skipped the more aggressive cleaners. The paint looks great, especially when topped with AquaWax. Both Duragloss and Mike Phillips say these cleaners are not really necessary on most new paint. Having said that, I want to experiment and see for myself so the next time I intend to try 601/501 followed by 601/111.

In a nutshell then, I would say 105 is a cleaner/sealant with the emphasis on protection and is most often used in a two step process with a more aggressive cleaner while 501 is a cleaner/sealant with the emphasis on cleaning and is usually associated (but not always) with an AIO, one step process.

wow thank you for taking the time for a through explanation :props:

Bigbull2984
08-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Let'sive credit where credit is due.
Post #101 by rwright: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-101/52480-duragloss-111-clearcoat-polish-thoughts-11.html#post715371

I was a DG user years ago and stopped. Then I saw all the write ups by Richard and started back up.

Defiently some big ups for Richard :xyxthumbs:

I have a white car that is older, and when I saw him do that white Audi I was really impressed.